Sky aerial with BT Vision?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
Forum Member
Hi...dont watch very much TV so the recent price rise is stretching things a bit(for us anyway)..so I have just cancelled....I was hoping to be able to use my sky+ box which should recieve "freesat" still... through a BT vision box to be able to record still....is this possible...thought I would ask all you experts...regards...John.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to be blunt.... NO.

I'm not totally sure what your trying to ask here.... do you want to use a BT vision box to record sky channels, using a sky+ box?
    I don't really know about BT vision, but unless it allows you to record to hard drive via scart input - then you wont be able to do it.

Sounds like you want a freeview PVR - or a freesat pvr (if such a thing exists yet)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    What I have at the moment is a sky+ box ...dish aerial etc....I have just cancelled my sky subscription but they say that I can still recieve feesat..through the aerial dish to my sky+ box....well as I am a BT broadband customer I can get a free BT vision box which if I was able to recieve freeview through my normal TV aerial would record ...live pause , series link etc just like the sky+ box but at only £6 a month..unfortunately we wont get freeview to air around this neck of the woods for quite a time yet .....so.....
    can I use my sky dish as an ordinary aerial to get the freeview channels by plugging the dish into the back of the BT vision box.....to try to explain better still....are the signals through my ordinary rooftop aerial the same type?....as the signals down my skydish aerial....hope that explains it better....regards again ...John.
    PS...the BT vision box is HD ready too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hunkamunka wrote: »
    What I have at the moment is a sky+ box ...dish aerial etc....I have just cancelled my sky subscription but they say that I can still recieve feesat..through the aerial dish to my sky+ box....well as I am a BT broadband customer I can get a free BT vision box which if I was able to recieve freeview through my normal TV aerial would record ...live pause , series link etc just like the sky+ box but at only £6 a month..unfortunately we wont get freeview to air around this neck of the woods for quite a time yet .....so.....
    can I use my sky dish as an ordinary aerial to get the freeview channels by plugging the dish into the back of the BT vision box.....to try to explain better still....are the signals through my ordinary rooftop aerial the same type?....as the signals down my skydish aerial....hope that explains it better....regards again ...John.

No. I'm sorry but this will not work at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member

No. Freeview signals require a rooftop aerial.
    Sky and Freesat from sky or alike require a dish input.

The two are, by definition, incompatible in the circumstances you outlined.

As BT Viision requires a BT ADSL line, AND a rooftop aerial, you're pretty much screwed if you cannot receive DTT broadcasts in your area at the min. Your only option is freesatfromsky.
    Forum Member
    I really appreciate your quick response but could you explain why this will not work...I need to think of a way around this
    Forum Member
    Sorry about that your replies are too quick for my typing speed lol.....so the freeview signals from the sky dish are a different makeup to the ordinary rooftop aerial signals is that it....and if so is there a way around it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the "dish aerial" is nothing like a regular rooftop aerial.

Regular rooftop aerials recieve signals from a local transmitter through the airwaves....

The dish that connects to sky+ system, recieves its signals from a satellite miles up in space, which are beamed down.
    Forum Member
    I really appreciate your quick response but could you explain why this will not work...I need to think of a way around this

There is no way round it! DTT - Digital Terrestral Televison (Freeview) - is completely different from DST - Digital Satellite Television (Sky, Freesat etc)

You can either have the free channels through your existing Sky setup or take the new Freesat offering from BBC/ITV.

Thats it.
    Forum Member
    I have the BT adsl modem and am a bt broadband subscriber so the BT vision etc is not a problem...I just need to be able to recieve free to air signals....the sky guy that I talked to told me that this is what I would get after cancelling my sky
    Forum Member
    I've lost the will to live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the BT adsl modem and am a bt broadband subscriber so the BT vision etc is not a problem...I just need to be able to recieve free to air signals....the sky guy that I talked to told me that this is what I would get after cancelling my sky

He's right. you will still be able to recieve free to air channels through your sky+ box. but you will not be able to record them on either the sky+ box, or the bt vision box.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look, please just accept what's been said already in the thread.

If you want BT Vision, make sure you can get Freeview (postcode into http://www.freeview.co.uk) and buy a normal TV aerial like you see on most roofs.

But you cannot use BT Vision with a Sky dish. That. Is. It.
  • skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no way around this.

It's like trying to run an F1 car on Custard!

You need to either stump up £10 to sky to use the PVR side of th sky+ box or get used to not recording anything.
    Forum Member
    I believe the OP is unable to get Freeview where he lives. He wants to use his Sky dish to receive FTA programs for his BT Vision Box. Which is an impossibility.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of really confising things, you could wait for an actual freesat PVR to come out then you can use your existing dish and have sky+like functionality
    Forum Member
    At the risk of really confising things, you could wait for an actual freesat PVR to come out then you can use your existing dish and have sky+like functionality

Now you've really done it! :eek:
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys....dont die on me now....I will accept what you have said with good grace....thanks for troubling to reply to this not very savvy old git.....
    Forum Member
    er...this is not a micky take but does PVR mean personal video recorder?
    Forum Member
    Freesat PVR is scheduled for xmas 2008 release so if you can hold off for a few months you will be able to utilise your existing Sky minidish with the Freesat PVR for Sky+ like functionality. (Yes PVR means Personal Video Recorder, there's also DVR which is pretty much the same thing, Digital Video Recorder)

Or wait a couple of years for digital switchover where your area will probably be able to receive Freeview signals so you can then use the BT Vision system.

No immediate solution available I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with what he said.

The best thing for you would be to wait until a "FREESAT PVR" becomes available.

Plug it into your dish and you will be able to record stuff from the free satellite channels, in the same way you're used to with sky+
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    er...this is not a micky take but does PVR mean personal video recorder?

yes, but bear in mind it records to its internal hard drive - and not onto a video, as the name suggest!
    Forum Member
    Thanks Xinam (and all you other guys)...sounds good about the freesat thingy....will I need to have my skydish pointed at a different sattelite for this upcoming thing to work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Xinam (and all you other guys)...sounds good about the freesat thingy....will I need to have my skydish pointed at a different sattelite for this upcoming thing to work?

no, it will be fine where it is.
    Forum Member

Your sky dish will not need adjusting at all. Just plug the feed(s) from the dish straight into the back of the box and away you go.
    Forum Member
    Brilliant....I will wait untill christmas then....thanks again for your patience....if you ever want to know anything about refrigeration or air conditioning...just ask...but dont ask me ANYTHING about TV's or suchlike :o