River - 'I hope my old man didn't see that...'

2»

Comments

• johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Rooks wrote: »
    That's exactly my point. Why is she so surprised? She knows they are running in opposite directions so by this logic she shouldn't be surprised as she knows it's just a first for him. Yet she's very surprised they haven't kissed before. In fact they played on the fact that he took it as "there's a first for everything" yet she took it a totally different way. Two very different reactions suggest to me that there's far more going on here and River has realised something very important about the relationship.

Or maybe it's something utterly different. I guess we'll know by the end of the year :)

She's not surprised - she's distraught. She didn't know it was his first kiss with her until that point. She expect to be kissing him again in the future, but now knows that's not going to happen. It's another major milestone on the route towards the day that he doesn't recognise her any more.

I did find myself wondering last week why River was involved in this story, but seeing the parallels with the Silence, who remove whole events from people's lives, I can see the significance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said this somewhere on here as well, and some guy had a go at me because "Old Fella" apparently meant her husband. I can't find the original thread, so I just want to say that I told you so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she meant her dad, then her "old man" did indeed see this!
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I raised this at the time and was shot down by other forum members.

She says 'my old fella' which can mean either boyfriend/husband or dad. She also has her back to the TARDIS when she says it so does not know if she is talking to Rory or the Doctor when she says it.

I made a similar point in season 5 about Amy's house having too many bedrooms - as if her family had been deleted by the crack - and was was shot down.

I also made a similar point during season 4 - that River's comments to the 10th Doctor during 'Silence in the Library' could be interpreted as it being her first/only meeting with that particular incarnation . . . and was shot down.

Some people never listen . . .
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    I raised this at the time and was shot down by other forum members.

She says 'my old fella' which can mean either boyfriend/husband or dad. She also has her back to the TARDIS when she says it so does not know if she is talking to Rory or the Doctor when she says it.
    Just because her father was present doesn't mean she was talking about her father. She was talking about the Doctor. That still stands.
    I also made a similar point during season 4 - that River's comments to the 10th Doctor during 'Silence in the Library' could be interpreted as it being her first/only meeting with that particular incarnation . . . and was shot down.
    I really don't see how that could have happened, given that that was entirely the point of the episode, that it was her first meeting with any incarnation.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    River talking to herself there, and it sounded more like she was referring to her father when she said that. Rory is standing behind her...is he her 'old man'?? :cool:

I immediately thought that after seeing it.
    I watched it again and she says "Old fella" though.