IE 9 Hangs "waiting for response from"

2»

Comments

• Richard LongRichard Long Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I have just disabled all my add-ons in Manage add-ons and everything has speeded up and seems to be working ok.

I'll just have to see if any sites ask for any of them to be enabled.

Hopefully not.

Thanks to all for all the help will report back if anything changes. :)
    Forum Member
    Ooops! I was wrong It's at it again.
    I must learn to do a full check before saying something is fixed.
    It still does it when add-ons are off.

I have noticed two things about this problem:-
    1. It appears to be random which makes me think it is a traffic jam problem which I can do nothing about.
    ( I guess I should keep a record of when it happens and when it doesn't but I always forget)

2. It helps if I open a webpage and then open a second tab and use that second tab. This points me in the direction of add-ons or IE.
    Does anyone know if I download a second browser like Chrome is this going to fill my PC with a load of Google rubbish which I can't remove when I uninstall it.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what was described in 1st post seems to describe sites that use hosting that is funded by 'bouncing' through a few other sites to raise those other sites search engine ranking stuff & sites that include live content from google, facebook, trackers etc ... unavoidable stuff a lot of the time BUT adblockers will help .. the coding of IE9 means it can struggle with some content as microsoft still don't follow the agreed rules .... things might be better in IE9's compatibility mode ... you can switch it on somehow ... IE9 is a pain to use for me, have lots of browsers installed & only IE9 throws in hurdles that slow things down!
    Forum Member
    Switched on the compatability mode which made no difference.
    Back to square one but I'll keep looking as I am determined to find the answer no matter what.
    I'm going to switch everything off antivirus, firewall and all other running progs and see if that makes any difference.
    Watch this space. :confused:
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had no end of trouble with IE9 on W7 I finally found out how to remove it and get back to IE8. It's not a great browser but it does actually work with everything I've thrown at it. Funny how MS actually managed to come up with a worse browser as an "upgrade".
    Forum Member
    Tried without firewall or antivirus it made no difference.
    Keep comming up with ideas guys.
    It would be good to know if there are many others having this problem. I could then get an idea if it's my machine or just a slow net connection.
    Forum Member
    I think the cause is a slow net connection as it gets worse at different times of the day.
    If you know anything different then let us know.
    Thanks to all that gave suggestions.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the cause is a slow net connection as it gets worse at different times of the day.
    If you know anything different then let us know.
    Thanks to all that gave suggestions.

who is your internet service provider?

some providers throttle the download speed at peak periods for example between 5pm and midnight
    Forum Member
    thms wrote: »
    who is your internet service provider?

some providers throttle the download speed at peak periods for example between 5pm and midnight

ISP is SKY who say they don't throttle speed.
    Well that's what their adverts say. Ha!
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting as this happens to me too sometimes. I find if I refresh the page it clears it and the page pops up as it should. For this reason I think it is probably a traffic issue. I am with Virgin.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ISP is SKY who say they don't throttle speed.
    Well that's what their adverts say. Ha!
    I have Sky fibre and it happens to me too. I use Opera though, not IE. It's been getting worse over the past few weeks and sometimes makes the PC unusable for a minute or so. V. annoying.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi Richard, I've been following your progress. I hope you have restored your AV and firewall.

I’ve been trying to think what could be slowing down your page loading and have drawn a blank. I don’t have any problems with slow loading web pages on IE9. The opposite in fact. All my pages load lightning fast.
    I’m shooting in the dark, but the following is how I’ve set up IE, perhaps one of my settings is the answer to your problem.

For all my browsing I use the 32-bit version of IE only. For normal browsing the add-ons I have enabled are Shockwave Flash in Toolbars and Extensions, everything else is disabled. Google is the default Search provider but I have disabled it and I don’t have any others. I don't remember whether there were any Accelerators when I installed IE9, but if there were I have removed them all. I have 3 anti-tracking sites enabled in Tracking Protection.

For normal browsing in the Internet zone, my security settings are set to High and the only thing that is sometimes enabled is Active Scripting in the Scripting section, if I need to access sites such as shopping sites or bank savings details, because otherwise the site wouldn't load, or if I am using DS as I need to enable it to log in and out, or if I want to quote another post, and other sites where I need it enabled to log in. However, as a fix for another problem I had a while ago, I have enabled Userdata persistence. If needed I enable File Download. I also have Protected Mode enabled.

For sites in my Trusted zone my security is set to the default Medium, but I disable File download and only enable it when needed.

For all browsing I have Active X Filtering enabled in Safety, and the only time I disable that is for interactive content on my BBC account and also to watch vids in YouTube.

Privacy Settings are set to Medium High except for a few sites which I have set to Always Allow. Parental Controls and Content Advisor are off.

In Advanced there are too many settings to go through and it could be that one or more of these settings is causing your problem, but I have disabled Show Animations and also SmartScreen Filter. However the SmartScreen Filter is enabled by default in Internet zone on the High setting, and disabled by default in Trusted zone on the Medium setting, so what use the disable feature in Advanced has, is beyond me!

I can’t think of anything else that might be slowing down page loading except the time of day. The only time that is a problem for me is that file downloads can be slow at lunchtime sometimes.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I will give you a tip, one that I discovered for myself after being stuck up the creek without a paddle after web surfing, asking experts, everything I could think of. I suffered all the usual crap about reinstalling windows, 'its Norton's', you need more memory, use ccleaner.

This is it. Click on the help button of IE9 and select About. It will tell you if you are running the 64 bit or 32 bit version.

It is worth switching to the other if one is giving snags. The 64 bit version is in program files, and the 32 bit version is in program files (X86).

You are correct in what you say about Microsoft. It has spread to the web as well, the Logitech site, for example, will not work properly with IE9. If you try using Opera with it, you get a message saying that the site only works using Chrome, but if you use IE9 it just fails intermittently on you. It is a deliberate attempt to discredit MS software. Of course MS did use unethical practices itself.

Using IE9, it is essential to manage the addons, toolbars etc. (by which of course I mean disable just about all of them because they ruin it) Luckily this is very easy.

I find the 64 bit IE9 gives me trouble, but others choose it. It depends hugely on the actual machine and softeware
    Forum Member
    Johnbee, I just tried the Logitech main site on IE9 with my settings on High in the Internet zone. The site asked me to enable Jscript which I did, and it works just fine for me. I clicked on several pages and the content in those pages without any problems. I actually rather like the navigation on the site.
    Forum Member
    WOW! Peeps I thought this thread had almost died with no solution.
    Thanks for all the advice I will sit down tomorrow and work through all the suggestions.

I'll report back with the result.
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi Richard, I've been following your progress. I hope you have restored your AV and firewall.

I’ve been trying to think what could be slowing down your page loading and have drawn a blank. I don’t have any problems with slow loading web pages on IE9. The opposite in fact. All my pages load lightning fast.
    I’m shooting in the dark, but the following is how I’ve set up IE, perhaps one of my settings is the answer to your problem.

For all my browsing I use the 32-bit version of IE only. For normal browsing the add-ons I have enabled are Shockwave Flash in Toolbars and Extensions, everything else is disabled. Google is the default Search provider but I have disabled it and I don’t have any others. I don't remember whether there were any Accelerators when I installed IE9, but if there were I have removed them all. I have 3 anti-tracking sites enabled in Tracking Protection.

For normal browsing in the Internet zone, my security settings are set to High and the only thing that is sometimes enabled is Active Scripting in the Scripting section, if I need to access sites such as shopping sites or bank savings details, because otherwise the site wouldn't load, or if I am using DS as I need to enable it to log in and out, or if I want to quote another post, and other sites where I need it enabled to log in. However, as a fix for another problem I had a while ago, I have enabled Userdata persistence. If needed I enable File Download. I also have Protected Mode enabled.

For sites in my Trusted zone my security is set to the default Medium, but I disable File download and only enable it when needed.

For all browsing I have Active X Filtering enabled in Safety, and the only time I disable that is for interactive content on my BBC account and also to watch vids in YouTube.

Privacy Settings are set to Medium High except for a few sites which I have set to Always Allow. Parental Controls and Content Advisor are off.

In Advanced there are too many settings to go through and it could be that one or more of these settings is causing your problem, but I have disabled Show Animations and also SmartScreen Filter. However the SmartScreen Filter is enabled by default in Internet zone on the High setting, and disabled by default in Trusted zone on the Medium setting, so what use the disable feature in Advanced has, is beyond me!

I can’t think of anything else that might be slowing down page loading except the time of day. The only time that is a problem for me is that file downloads can be slow at lunchtime sometimes.

I appear to have a big inprovement with this problem.

I followed most of the settings as described by "evil c" above.
    I only changed the ones that suited me.
    I have to say I have been very un-scientific with the possess and did not check for any improvement after each change therefore I don't actually know if any one item was causing the problem.
    I still have to see how things go at different times of the day but life is quite a bit faster so far.

Many thanks for your help "evil c" and thanks to everyone else who has tried to solve this for me.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 18 addons in my IE9. I disabled all except an adobe one. I also have quite a few toolbars disabled. All the uansked for junk slwos software down.

Bear in mind as well a few other points. HTML is a rather slow language. Many web pages are written by people with rather low skills. There is a lot running on the PC besides just the browser. The person writing a web page will often just ensure it works well with his or her own choice of browser. This happens even on pro sites. For example the Logitech site is written with Chrome in mind, fails when using IE and gives a warning when using Opera.

So disable addons, scrap toolbars, use a startup manager such as Anvir to disable unwanted processes that sneak in (I have 71 disabled on my PC), and if a particular web page which really ought to be well written gives you trouble, try a different browser. I like Susan Polgar's chess page, but usually use Chrome to look at it.
    Forum Member
    Glad you have seen some improvement, Richard. One minor thing I forgot to write is that to increase the number of sites in the Trusted Sites zone I have unchecked 'Require server verification (https) for all sites in this zone'.