MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 374,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duran Duran and Queen
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best is pretty subjective obviously. My favourite ever is The Rolling Stones though. I actually think that their longevity has harmed their legacy somewhat because it's become a story in itself, overshadowing their great music. Every bit as good as The Beatles in my opinion.
  • Options
    Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only what's 'best' to you personally?
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disregarding influence and popularity i'd argue that no one in music had had as great a studio album run as The Beatles from 1965-1969.

Rubber Soul-Revolver-Sgt Pepper-The White Album-Abbey Road.
  • Options
    cookie monstercookie monster Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    There is no 'best band ever' as it is a very subjective question, just like all questions about music, I guess.

For me, I haven't a clue how to decide that as I like a whole lot of bands for a variety of reasons. I suppose I shall stick my neck out and say The Who.
    Absolutely true :)

In fact , for me it's better to say i do have more favourite songs ,
    than that's my favourite band all time :)
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    Disregarding influence and popularity i'd argue that no one in music had had as great a studio album run as The Beatles from 1965-1969.

No-one in music? You've obviously forgotten Bowie for starters. Plus, The Beatles released other albums in between those ones which were a bit patchy.
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    No-one in music? You've obviously forgotten Bowie for starters. Plus, The Beatles released other albums in between those ones which were a bit patchy.

But Yellow Submarine was pretty much an extended E.P with the majority of the songs being George Martin's soundtrack scores and previously released songs whereas Magical Mystery Tour was a US compilation of songs from singles and an extended play. Let It Be also wasn't released until 1970 when the Beatles were pretty much extinct.
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disregarding influence and popularity i'd argue that no one in music had had as great a studio album run as The Beatles from 1965-1969

This is simply not true.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were one influence for The Beatles, so who influenced them?

Everyone is influenced somewhere along the line, but no other band has made the kind of impact The Beatles did, across the world, nor have had as much influence either.

When you look at what they achieved, and how they changed in around seven years, it is remarkable.

fully agree :)

read the quote again, he said between 1965 -1969 :p
    Rae_Amury wrote: »
    This is simply not true.

who else in the time period cited had as many great albums? and remember, 'revolver' alone is often cited as one of the best if not the best album of all time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fully agree :)

read the quote again, he said between 1965 -1969 :p

who else in the time period cited had as many great albums? and remember, 'revolver' alone is often cited as one of the best if not the best album of all time.

If you read the quote they said no-one in music, which implies ever. They only specified the years in which The Beatles released those albums, they didn't say only for this time period. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Yellow Submarine was pretty much an extended E.P with the majority of the songs being George Martin's soundtrack scores and previously released songs whereas Magical Mystery Tour was a US compilation of songs from singles and an extended play. Let It Be also wasn't released until 1970 when the Beatles were pretty much extinct.

You can argue about Magical Mystery Tour's place in The Beatles canon maybe, although it was an official double EP in the UK before it fell in line with the American release years later, but Yellow Submarine is/was an official Beatles album. :) One thing I should have added in my original post is that some of the albums mentioned in that run are patchy themselves. Abbey Road, for example, contains Octopus's Garden and Maxwell's Silver Hammer. :eek: I love The Beatles, but they weren't as infallible as some would like to suggest.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can argue about Magical Mystery Tour's place in The Beatles canon maybe, although it was an official double EP in the UK before it fell in line with the American release years later, but Yellow Submarine is/was an official Beatles album. :) One thing I should have added in my original post is that some of the albums mentioned in that run are patchy themselves. Abbey Road, for example, contains Octopus's Garden and Maxwell's Silver Hammer. :eek: I love The Beatles, but they weren't as infallible as some would like to suggest.

i dont think some are suggesting the beatles were infallible, just less infallible then others! :p:D
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie for me. I've never been interested in/appreciative of any other band's body of work to anything near the same extent. Like with anyone else, they've certainly dropped some clangers over the years though as well.
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    I adore Blondie! And the Eurthymics! Both very good bands led by a female vocalist.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Face to Face-Something Else-Village Green-Arthur-Lola-Muswell Hillbillies :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love both The Beatles and The Kinks, but my favourite band is XTC.
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink Floyd for me.
    I also love The Beatles, The Stone Roses, AC/DC, NWA, Oasis and The Manic street preachers.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    Face to Face-Something Else-Village Green-Arthur-Lola-Muswell Hillbillies :p

Love both bands...and that is a darn close call. :)