Options

Signal Box on EE

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    If they have entered your IMEI but it's just flashing green, try pressing the sim reset button.
    The system ee/tmobile use to activate the signal boxes wont work, so they're having to email the imei numbers over to the manufacturers for them to activate for them. ive been waiting over a week to activate mine.... kinda feel like im being fobbed off, still, i keep ringing them daily and keep getting the same answer... 'be patient'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Like several others I have had a Signal Box since the 14th Feb and Orange can't register it and can't give me any idea of when there likely to be able to. Can't help but think that if it was a 4G handset that wouldn't work they would be making more of an effort to retain my custom.
  • Options
    sabreuk1975sabreuk1975 Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I called EE again last night and they still are not able to register the Femtocell - they told me engineers are working on the problem but cannot set any expectations as to when it will be resolved.
  • Options
    jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is the case, make sure you ask them to apply the £10 credit which they give out if you've been affected by them turning off a mast. (it's £10 per phone as well)
  • Options
    sabreuk1975sabreuk1975 Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    jon41 wrote: »
    If this is the case, make sure you ask them to apply the £10 credit which they give out if you've been affected by them turning off a mast. (it's £10 per phone as well)

Thats interesting, anymore information on this one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah if you make a fuss (overseas team do it straight away) they offer £10 per phone.

Wether it's for anyone who hasn't been affected by network optimization I don't know but I had credits for Dec & Jan bill and then got the signal box.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I know it's not for data but i cannot get mine to go over 3mbps, upload is sometimes higher than download. Ping is like 140ms but my home broadband is15ms..

Worth hitting the reset button?

£10 per phone, per month?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah try the reset button. The ping will be down to Orange, they might be congested.

The max I've ever seen on mine is 9.98Mbps and 5.70Mbps for upload.

Yeah the £10 is for signal issues, but once you've got the signal box you can't get the credit. You literally have to say how bad it's been, how long it's been happening for and then they offer it as a good will credit. If you have more than one handset on the account say will that apply to all handsets, the. They'll add it to each.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Both my EE and Orange boxes started flashing last night around 8:30pm.
    EE one came back tonight at 4pm. orange one still flashing.
    Phoned EE and they said there was an outage across all brands including TM. They had had two memos about it. The guy said trust me they are working like mad to get it fixed. Obviously doesn't affect everyone though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    STOP THE CLOCK!!!! Orange box back on 5 minutes ago.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both my EE and Orange boxes started flashing last night around 8:30pm.
    EE one came back tonight at 4pm. orange one still flashing.
    Phoned EE and they said there was an outage across all brands including TM. They had had two memos about it. The guy said trust me they are working like mad to get it fixed. Obviously doesn't affect everyone though.

Our T-Mobile one was doing that this morning, quickly sorted itself though. It's amazing how quick you get used to a phone which works reliably at work!
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Reset. Still gash speeds but sound quality seems to have improved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a txt off Orange, anyone else had this message? As far as I was aware the box was registered as it's been working.
    Hello, your Signal Box has now been registered. Please turn the device off then back on. Thank you for your time and sorry for the inconvenience. Orange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Had a similar message about 2 hours ago.
    "Hello from Orange Technical support. We have activated your Signal Boost Box. If you have any issues with it can you please call in on the freephone number provided. Many thanks"

No freephone number though and as the box is in my office I cant tell if its finally working until tomorrow morning. Only taken a week !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably due to the issues they've been having recently. Probably sent to everyone regardless of whether you've been affected or not.

Probably....:)
  • Options
    NeilgcalNeilgcal Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    After 15 days of waiting I got home and I have full signal!! Activated at long last!! Yehaaaa!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep! They've fixed the issue then!
    Neil, did you have some signal before or none at all?
    Many on here will tell you I live in a "bunker". Well a 300 year old Devon long house with 4 foot thick walls and 1-2 bars 2G outside.
    Femto has changed my life..... and saves me £35 per month not having to call mobiles from my landline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Whoop whoop.... Just rang t-mobile back and at last, they was able to register my signal box! Oooh, it's so exciting to have a signal at home. Looks like they've fixed the issues at last!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep! They've fixed the issue then!
    Neil, did you have some signal before or none at all?
    Many on here will tell you I live in a "bunker". Well a 300 year old Devon long house with 4 foot thick walls and 1-2 bars 2G outside.
    Femto has changed my life..... and saves me £35 per month not having to call mobiles from my landline.

I used to get a useable orange signal but in late November they got rid of the Orange mast so there was just T Mobile one which is not as good. Both masts are only a few hundred meters away but on the top of the hill which were underneath. The orange mast was 40 meters up and the tmob only 30. I now get between no service and 1 bar downstairs so have to go upstairs to call. I see in the updated EE maps I have no coverage at all! All hunky dorey now!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    All, I've been following the discussion on the signal box for some time and hope to get one very soon.

I have a question that originates from something I read some time ago.. Will the EE signal box work with unlocked/ unbranded phones that have an EE SIM in them?

I recently bought a Nexus 4 direct from Google and I have a SIM only contract with EE.

Does anyone know if my Nexus will work with the signal booster or is there something that 'ties' it to a branded phone which must be supplied by the network as well?

Many thanks in advance
  • Options
    Forum Member
    andy2111 wrote: »
    All, I've been following the discussion on the signal box for some time and hope to get one very soon.

I have a question that originates from something I read some time ago.. Will the EE signal box work with unlocked/ unbranded phones that have an EE SIM in them?

I recently bought a Nexus 4 direct from Google and I have a SIM only contract with EE.

Does anyone know if my Nexus will work with the signal booster or is there something that 'ties' it to a branded phone which must be supplied by the network as well?

Many thanks in advance

My understanding is that its the sim card and not the phone that enables the use of the Signal Box. As long as its an EE, Orange or TMoblie SIM in the phone it will work. Has to be a 3G handset though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member

Many thanks in advance

If it is any help I have an unlocked/unbranded Iphone 4s with an Orange contract sim and and also an unlocked/unbranded Nokia with an Orange PAYG sim and both work fine with the signal box
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if the signal box is supposed to hand off to a 2g network when you move outside your house and vice versa when you go inside and lose the normal signal and pick up the signal box?

Tried mine both ways and it drops the call. Can only get 2g outside not 3G.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Many thanks in advance

Yes, it will work with ANY EE, Orange or TM SIM that works on the normal Macro network. Signal box is just a tiny tiny EE cell site and behaves in the same way as a Macro cell site. Any MVNO SIM will work too so Virgin handsets will connect fine and all the other 21 or so smaller MVNOs that EE have like Delight Mobile for example.
    Locked or unlocked phone makes no difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Neilgcal wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the signal box is supposed to hand off to a 2g network when you move outside your house and vice versa when you go inside and lose the normal signal and pick up the signal box?

Tried mine both ways and it drops the call. Can only get 2g outside not 3G.

Neil, where yo have your signal box, is there any Macro 2G signal at all? If not, it won't work. The Signal box has to be able to detect the 2G signal so it can pass the Macro cell site info to the handset. It will then hand off ok.

I had my box downstairs in the hall where there is no signal of any kind from any network and hand off wouldn't work.
    I moved it upstairs where there is a dodgy (not really usable) 2G signal and now when I walk outside it hands off fine.

The signal box when it's turned on scans for macro cells and keeps a list of these cells. When the handset connects to the box the box passes this info to it. This is how hand off works on the Macro network.

If the signal box can't detect any macro cells. hand off simply won't work.

If you don't want to move your router you can use a pair of Homeplugs to get the broadband to a different location.
    This is how I did it.