F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But does that specifically mean you'll only get SkyF1HD or SkyF1HD as part as package of other channels?

http://www.sky.com/shop/offers/f1-hd?DCMP=BAC-Sky%20Sports-F1-Autosport-728x90-94814171_52684020_268737479

It seems to me that is means you get F1HD with everything else, as it makes no specific reference to additional subscription to the channel like movies and sports.
    I knew what he meant. That it would only cost £5 for 6 months to get Sky Sport F1 via the HD pack, before the HD pack reverts back to its standard price after these 6 months are up.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    I presume, given the timeslots, these classic races are full reruns and not some weird extendo-highlights thing?
    Full rerun, except 1994 which is extended highlights
  • BouffontBouffont Posts: 94
    Forum Member

Yes, thanks Stefmeister - I really appreciate the uploads. Excellent quality too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    OK, everyone - is this "MASSIVE"???

SSF1 schedule (per SPI website - no link as not publicly available):

Sat 9 Mar:
    8.30pm to 10.30pm - F1 Classic race: Australia 1994

Sun 10 Mar:
    8.30pm to 10.30pm - F1 Classic race: Australia 1999

Mon 11 Mar:
    8.30pm to 10.30pm - F1 Classic race: Australia 2003

Tue 12 Mar:
    8.30pm to 10.30pm - F1 Classic race: Australia 2007

Wed 13 Mar:
    8.30pm to 10.30pm - F1 Classic race: Australia 2010

Nice find. Look forward to those.
    I got rid of digiguide, (now using the beautiful sky+ app) so do not see listings that far ahead anymore.

I remember we had a couple when sky f1hd was testing/first started.
    But this looks to be a regular now for each race.
  • EastendwhovianEastendwhovian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Crofty has confirmed on Twitter that he will be commentating on the Premier league darts this evening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Changes to the SSF1 availability, as expected:
    F1 to become Sky Sports only

Another change for new subscribers is that Sky F1 HD is now only available with a full Sky Sports subscription and HD booster.

Existing subscribers to the £10.25/month HD boost will still get Sky F1 HD without Sky Sports, and Sky said there are no plans to change that in future seasons.
    http://recombu.com/digital/news/sky-combines-hd-and-3d-in-new-basic-tv-package_M11199.html

This will come into effect when the new Entertainment Extra+ package launches in April.

Hopefully customers signing up before this package launches in April will get SSF1, or I will be pretty peed off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    R410 wrote: »

http://recombu.com/digital/news/sky-combines-hd-and-3d-in-new-basic-tv-package_M11199.html

This will come into effect when the new Entertainment Extra+ package launches in April.

Hopefully customers signing up before this package launches in April will get SSF1, or I will be pretty peed off.

You will keep what you have.
  • thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Posts: 145
    Forum Member

Not unexpected. Sky are not likely to keep F1 in the HD package indefinitely despite what they say now.
    Over the coming seasons I expect BBC drop live F1 completely after which we'll see adverts in the live race and qualifying broadcasts. Nothing remotely supprising. All inevitable.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didnt take them long. So if your out of contract and you planned to pause the sub off season, does this mean when you re-sub, you will have to get SS?
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interest snippet from that link:

"Existing subscribers to the £10.25/month HD boost will still get Sky F1 HD without Sky Sports, and Sky said there are no plans to change that in future seasons"

At least that means those of us already signed up to the HD pack won't see any change for the foreseeable future. If you've dropped out of contract though and cancelled the subscription I'd be tempted to get in now while you can (if possible), it's going to get a lot more expensive.
  • andy-iandy-i Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    The Barb data for some car launchs and Jerez Test is now available. Helps give an idea of the "hard core/die hard" fan audience on Sky I guess:

Sky Sports F1
    w/e 3 Feb 2013
    000's
    1 F1 CAR UNVEILING - MCLAREN (FRI 2202) 41
    2 F1 CAR UNVEILING - LOTUS (FRI 1931) 35
    3 F1 CAR UNVEILING - FORCE INDIA (SUN 1901) 18
    4 F1 CAR UNVEILING - MCLAREN (SUN 1930) 16
    5 MERCEDES - BRAWNS REPORT (TUE 2131) 11
    6 INSIDE TRACK: LEWIS AT MERCEDES (MON 2200) 11
    7 F1 CAR UNVEILING - MCLAREN (SAT 1930) 6
    8 HUNGARIAN F1 GP HIGHLIGHTS (FRI 2000) 6
    9 MARTIN BRUNDLES HOW TO (WED 2245) 5
    10 INSIDE TRACK - A WEEKEND WITH (THU 2245) 5
    10 INSIDE TRACK: LEWIS AT MERCEDES (THU 2231)

Sky Sports F1
    w/e 10 Feb 2013
    000's
    1 F1 CAR UNVEILING - RED BULL (MON 1901) 46
    2 DAY 4: JEREZ F1 TEST (FRI 2100) 36
    3 TEDS NOTEBOOK- JEREZ DAY 3 (SAT 1512) 34
    4 DAY 3: JEREZ F1 TEST (THU 2102) 32
    5 TEDS NOTEBOOK- JEREZ DAY 4 (FRI 2116) 31
    6 DAY 1: JEREZ F1 TEST (TUE 2101) 30
    7 TEDS NOTEBOOK- JEREZ DAY 2 (SAT 1442) 29
    8 DAY 3: JEREZ F1 TEST (SAT 1457) 25
    9 TEDS NOTEBOOK- JEREZ DAY 1 (SAT 1413) 24
    10 TEDS NOTEBOOK- JEREZ DAY 2 (THU 1645) 22
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy-i wrote: »
    The Barb data for some car launchs and Jerez Test is now available. Helps give an idea of the "hard core/die hard" fan audience on Sky I guess:

...and the channel's reach for those two weeks was 289,000 and 590,000.

So a lot of people are tuning in to SS F1, albeit for three minutes minimum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not unexpected. Sky are not likely to keep F1 in the HD package indefinitely despite what they say now.
    Over the coming seasons I expect BBC drop live F1 completely after which we'll see adverts in the live race and qualifying broadcasts. Nothing remotely supprising. All inevitable.
    Both possible but unlikely. BBC have gone down the route of sharing coverage with another broadcaster for most sports, so I doubt this is the start of them dumping F1.
    Ans Sky Sports doesn't have adverts during the football so there is no reason to say they will with the F1.
    dansus wrote: »
    Didnt take them long. So if your out of contract and you planned to pause the sub off season, does this mean when you re-sub, you will have to get SS?
    I guess so, because you would no longer be an existing HD subscriber.
    Interest snippet from that link:

"Existing subscribers to the £10.25/month HD boost will still get Sky F1 HD without Sky Sports, and Sky said there are no plans to change that in future seasons"

At least that means those of us already signed up to the HD pack won't see any change for the foreseeable future. If you've dropped out of contract though and cancelled the subscription I'd be tempted to get in now while you can (if possible), it's going to get a lot more expensive.
    As D.M.N. said about something else earlier in the thread.
    Subject to change comes to mind.

Yes you can still subscribe now and get it, I just have myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both possible but unlikely. BBC have gone down the route of sharing coverage with another broadcaster for most sports, so I doubt this is the start of them dumping F1.
    Ans Sky Sports doesn't have adverts during the football so there is no reason to say they will with the F1.

I guess so, because you would no longer be an existing HD subscriber.

As D.M.N. said about something else earlier in the thread.
    Subject to change comes to mind.

Yes you can still subscribe now and get it, I just have myself.

I'll give them two season I reckon before it moves over under the SS package. I have no doubt we'll see it change in future!! The quicker (imo) it gets off tv and web based the better, lets just cut out 10 years of back n forth and invest in the tech now.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,061
    Forum Member
    A couple of things in response to earlier posts.

I'd say there's no adverts during their football coverage (during the game itself anyway) because there's a natural break after 45mins. With F1 you don't get that. Yes you get red flags, but they're not something you know is going to come at a set point of the race.

Also a little surprised at the unveiling viewings, purely because by the time they're screened, most people have seen pictures, seen what people have to say, possibly watched on SSN or the internet live, so yeah.

No surprise either that days 3 and 4 of Jerez testing got higher viewing figures for the daily review and Ted's Notebook than the first 2 days, just as I'd expect the figures to improve this week, especially as we get closer to the end of the week, and likely the same for the final test too.
    Forum Member

Classic Sky tactics....

As others say, football has a natural break at 45 mins. Can anyone name anything other than motorsport that has no natural breaks for 2 hours ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Classic Sky tactics....

As others say, football has a natural break at 45 mins. Can anyone name anything other than motorsport that has no natural breaks for 2 hours ?

Marathons....London, Great North Run etc...
    Forum Member

Anything with halves or quarters obviously does, tennis has new balls/change of ends, cricket has end of over, skiing has a break after something like 15 skiers, biathlon doesn't actually, and I'm not convinced ski jumping does (nor does cross country) although they don't last for 2 hours, but yeah, there's not much that doesn't have some sort of natural break in that time period, even if it's just 20 seconds.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member

How many races last 2 hours? Most are around 90 minutes.

I see no reason why Sky would start putting adverts in races, they wouldn't generate that much money from doing it, and it would piss off their customers. It would be a lose-lose situation.
    Forum Member
    I think he said 2 hours as that's the time limit for non red flagged races (eg Monaco 08, which hit 2 hours a lap or 2 before the start of the 78th (and what would normally be the final) lap if memory serves, though apologies if I'm wrong).
    Forum Member
    Just for something a little different.......from the Autosport Live text:

If a hungry lion walked into the media centre, what would you do?

A) Run around waving your arms around then leap through the window
    B) Feed one of your colleagues to the lion
    C) Give the lion a hug

Edd Straw: "First, we would report it in AUTOSPORT Live (of course). Second, I would attempt to sell it a subscription to AUTOSPORT Plus. Thirdly, I would ensure that it is not, in fact, Lewis Hamilton's dog. Finally, I would go for option c and try to feed a colleague to them. A photographer, if possible."
  • 4chords4chords Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    How many races last 2 hours? Most are around 90 minutes.

Currently.

Don't forget, Mr Di Montezemolo made a suggestion last year that F1 races could be made shorter, with possibly more than one race per Grand Prix. He's not the only one thinking this. The suggestion of shorting the race schedule has been around for a few years.

A bit of pressure from the TV companies and voila! 45 minute races with more advert time during the course of the normal programming.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    and voila! I stop watching because it isn't F1 anymore.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Anything with halves or quarters obviously does, tennis has new balls/change of ends, cricket has end of over, skiing has a break after something like 15 skiers, biathlon doesn't actually, and I'm not convinced ski jumping does (nor does cross country) although they don't last for 2 hours, but yeah, there's not much that doesn't have some sort of natural break in that time period, even if it's just 20 seconds.

I wouldn't be surprised to see sky stick to their promise of no ads but add in clauses like "but only during green flag racing" then quietly have a word in the fia's ear to start putting out the safety car more.....

Hey, it works in America....
    Forum Member
    Yes OK, Marathons and running can last longer - I'll give you that one. I knew someone would pick that up. it dawned on me seconds after posting.....

As for Sky annoying us with Ads they'll tell us that Ads keep subscription costs down.....
    Which doesn't hold water coming from a company that makes massive excess profits.
    I don't like Sky - does it show ?
This discussion has been closed.