Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Jaundiced! I love you Mariyah x

Love you too cool kitkat !:cool:
  • Maria747Maria747 Posts: 2,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think that Serena is going to be a confidante to Zosia as a kind of mother figure? I kind of see the seeds being sown for this and perhaps Serena maybe the catalyst in getting Zosia to reconcile with her father eventually.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    skteosk wrote: »
    I can't say much to defend Bonnie, which possibly says a lot, and I do accept that if someone was looking for reasons to hate her there were plenty there.I really didn't view her "I'm not maternal" speech the way some people seem to have, I just took it at face value and assumed she meant what she said, rather than combing it for subtext. As to the rest, yes, she was unsympathetic towards Jac.Is that wrong? Possibly.I guess, if I am trying to defend her, I could say that she knew that the christening was important to Jonny and she thought the best thing she could do would be to try and salvage it with or without Jac's presence.Maybe she was wrong to do so but it was made clear that they only had a limited window in which the christening could take place given Emma's need to be returned to NICU.Obviously, if Jac hadn't made it then they could have rescheduled it for another day but perhaps Bonnie was prioritising Jonny's feelings over Jac's, which is understandable in the circumstances.

Just an alternative viewpoint, might not be what the writers intended at all, I just have this odd desire to defend characters that the majority of fans seem to hate at times.

Alternate ciewpoint is always welcome. I can see where you're coming from but Emma was still in NICU at that stage - her 30 minute window hadn't started yet. Also, if worst came to worst, they could alway have conducted the ceremony in NICU with just the necessary people (vicar, parents, Sacha, proxy for Mo who I assume is godmother) in attendance and carried the party on regardless. It is, after all, a religious ceremony, it shouldn't need all this pomp and circumstance. I just say this as someone whose uncle was christened with just parents in attendance as the Doctors indicated he only had days to live (and they were right) and whose brother also only had parents and proxy godparents in attendance as they were 300 miles away and my mother wasn't prepared to wait as she very much believed at that time. I'm sorry, but both parents being there is the most important thing and whilst Jac should not have done the op in the first place (that was selfish), it should have been finished in time and they could hardly just let Indigo Girl die could they.

The trouble with the maternal speach is that she has already said it once, to Jac in the loos at which point I believed her and thought she was sincere in not having known that Jac hadn't held Emma, being sorry it happened and understanding Jac's feelings of anger and hurt. It made me like her. So, knowing what she does about jac;s feelings, why would she go and do almost the exact same thing again? She, unknowingly, deprived Jac of being the first woman to hold Emma. Bnow she deprives her of being the one to bring her to her Christening - knowing there is already bad feeling about Bonnie now being with Jonny.

If she really cared about everyone (and that includes Jonny as surely it is better for him not to be at constant war with his child's mother) she would have said she'd go to Albies, take over from Sacha there so that he could get Emma. Come to that, wasn't he as godfather more crucial to proceedings than her anyway?
  • Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maria747 wrote: »
    Does anyone think that Serena is going to be a confidante to Zosia as a kind of mother figure? I kind of see the seeds being sown for this and perhaps Serena maybe the catalyst in getting Zosia to reconcile with her father eventually.

A few tweets on the holby/holby city hashtag with that theory.

It's nice to see Serena with her sparkle back, very much like her first few months in Holby.
    Forum Member
    ETA, I thought the Keller patient storyline was hilarious and I love Serena's subtle sense of humour. Colette is so unfunny and droll and Raf, I didn't like his attitude (and Collette's too)to Harry but Harry is abit of a twerp, but a confused, misguided twerp who's intentions are generally good but lacks common sense.

I think Harry is just rather directionless and perhaps has had things come to him too easily. He also appears to be influenced without much bother. Remember when he gave up a very good CT2 placement in CT just because Gemma made a barbed comment at him? I said at the time it was a stupid and I'll thought out reason to throw away a placement that could affect the rest of his professional life, and was going to be a very well paid speciality if he'd stuck with it. Even if he hadn't, he decided it wasn't for him, the experience would probably look good on his cv but just because Gemma makes one crack, he stays on AAU (generally considered to be one of the worst areas of medicine) at a lower frade for god knows how much longer.

He is a twerp, ignoring his patient, the "me doctor, you nurse" and mimicking Raf's accent all prove that, not to mention trying to name drop his godfather and take that female doctor out for dinner but I am finding him more sympathetic and likeable these days. And I really want Colette to have a taste of her own medicine re the way she talks to him and Raf isn't far behind.
    Forum Member

It was really nice to see Serena counsel Zosia wisely about seeing Guy's side of things - especially given her professional (and I suspect personal) dislike of him. Shows what a very decent person Serena is. She'll enjoy petty little one up manship like making him lance the smelly boil (or whatever it was) but when it comes to the important stuff, she plays fair even though Zosia could have been a powerful ally against Guy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Harry is just rather directionless and perhaps has had things come to him too easily. He also appears to be influenced without much bother. Remember when he gave up a very good CT2 placement in CT just because Gemma made a barbed comment at him? I said at the time it was a stupid and I'll thought out reason to throw away a placement that could affect the rest of his professional life, and was going to be a very well paid speciality if he'd stuck with it. Even if he hadn't, he decided it wasn't for him, the experience would probably look good on his cv but just because Gemma makes one crack, he stays on AAU (generally considered to be one of the worst areas of medicine) at a lower frade for god knows how much longer.

He is a twerp, ignoring his patient, the "me doctor, you nurse" and mimicking Raf's accent all prove that, not to mention trying to name drop his godfather and take that female doctor out for dinner but I am finding him more sympathetic and likeable these days. And I really want Colette to have a taste of her own medicine re the way she talks to him and Raf isn't far behind.

Oh yes, I agree with you. In hindsight, Harry really should have taken the CT2 replacement on Darwin and he may have found his calling and if he was under the wing of Elliot or Jac maybe he would have been guided better and have a better attitude about where he wants to go in his medical career. He seems rather adrift at sea at the moment and I am also finding his character more sympathetic even though he should not have neglected his ulcer patient. However, Raf was rather condescending and refused to include Harry on his team and I thought it was quite rude of him to have Adele in the official photo shoot and not have Harry too who was there, he must have been feeling sidelined, which is why I think Harry is frustrated and desperate to please his superiors albeit in an unorthodox way. He could move to Darwin as no CT2 has been appointed yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I really want Colette to have a taste of her own medicine re the way she talks to him and Raf isn't far behind.

I just can't warm to Colette much and I get the feeling she is kind of taking Chrissie's role (without the affairs), being condescending, judgemental and she knows best and she seems to kind of have alot leverage with Guy but I could be wrong. I need to know her character and background abit more.
  • Off_the_hook13Off_the_hook13 Posts: 17,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or is Raf unbearable? Hated him from his first episode, irritating character, smug, arrogant, nothing likeable about the guy IMO, can't stand him. It makes me want to change channels when he is on screen. >:(
    Forum Member
    I just can't warm to Colette much and I get the feeling she is kind of taking Chrissie's role (without the affairs), being condescending, judgemental and she knows best and she seems to kind of have alot leverage with Guy but I could be wrong. I need to know her character and background abit more.

She certainly seems to be taking Chrissie's place as a senior Nurse that is all the things you listed, superior, judgemental, condescending, rude to other staff members disgusting it as humorous, good natured ribbing (more part of early Chrissie than later, esp her treatment of Donna) but is seemingly loved by people in authority and yes, she does seem to have influence with Guy.
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or is Raf unbearable? Hated him from his first episode, irritating character, smug, arrogant, nothing likeable about the guy IMO, can't stand him. It makes me want to change channels when he is on screen. >:(

I liked Raf in his first episode, finding him by far the best of the recent influx. His arrogant attitude is beginning to grate now though and I really don't like his treatment of Harry. It's like he took against his CPR technique in the first minute and now just won't give him a chance at all.

I still think he's interesting though and got a lot of potential.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skteosk wrote: »
    Obviously, if Jac hadn't made it then they could have rescheduled it for another day but perhaps Bonnie was prioritising Jonny's feelings over Jac's, which is understandable in the circumstances.

But really the person that they should all be considering is Emma... Going ahead without Jac may have given Johnny the christening when he wanted it but when Emma was old enough to look back on the pictures of the day she'd have seen her special day without her mum there. As it is she's going to look back and see pictures of Bonnie (who may not even be a long term fixture in her life) holding her while both her parents look unhappy.

It shouldn't be about prioritising Jac or Johnny, it should be about Emma.

I'm not saying that they should have postponed it an indefinite number of times, but the first thought should have been to finding a way to make sure Emma got a christening she could look back on happily rather than straight away thinking to go ahead without Jac.

And I did love Sacha's subtle putting Bonnie back in her place when he commented on how frustrating it is as a parent when a stranger can calm your baby down.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Raf in his first episode, finding him by far the best of the recent influx. His arrogant attitude is beginning to grate now though and I really don't like his treatment of Harry. It's like he took against his CPR technique in the first minute and now just won't give him a chance at all.

I still think he's interesting though and got a lot of potential.

This... If he didn't like Harry's technique then surely he should teach Harry to do it better rather than just try and sideline him.
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    But really the person that they should all be considering is Emma... Going ahead without Jac may have given Johnny the christening when he wanted it but when Emma was old enough to look back on the pictures of the day she'd have seen her special day without her mum there. As it is she's going to look back and see pictures of Bonnie (who may not even be a long term fixture in her life) holding her while both her parents look unhappy.

It shouldn't be about prioritising Jac or Johnny, it should be about Emma.

I'm not saying that they should have postponed it an indefinite number of times, but the first thought should have been to finding a way to make sure Emma got a christening she could look back on happily rather than straight away thinking to go ahead without Jac.

And I did love Sacha's subtle putting Bonnie back in her place when he commented on how frustrating it is as a parent when a stranger can calm your baby down.

Absolutely this. It is Emma's day, a celebration of Emma's life which should involve the people most important to her that love her the most and that she will love the most. Now it is possible that Bonnie will turn out to be one of those people but far from certain - Jac and Jonny Definately will be, as probably will be Sacha. Elliot and Mo. In some ways, Mo"s absence should have postponed it as (I assume she is godmother) she is a big omission from the actual event and given her absence from work, it was always going to be more likely that Elliot or Jac would have to work on Darwin. What, tough ++++ if you have a heart attack that day because half the Ward have to be at a Service at a specific time and another Surgeon is off sick?
    Forum Member
    I also loved Sacha's putting down of Bonnie - spelling out how bad it would have made Jac feel, that it can happen to any parent no matter how loving or devoted (not many more loving or devoted than Sacha) and obliquely labeling Bonnie a stranger to Emma.
  • SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I didn't like Bonnie one bit tonight. I viewed her 'Oh I am so not maternal!' speech as her being smug about the fact that she had managed to calm Emma down when Jac couldn't. The thing is, Jac is tense, nervous and wound up so all those feelings are going to make Emma feel uneasy so it's no wonder she wouldn't settle for her.

I was glad Jac had Elliot and Sacha to talk to, I think both of them will really help her and guide her along the way. Possibly even Mo might be someone she can turn to as Mo is definitely not a Bonnie fan.

PS Anyone else finding the woman who plays Colette to be a terrible actress? I don't know whether it is meant to be her character but she comes across as so wooden and it feels like she is just reading her lines off an autocue. I think that's the reason why I cannot take to the character.
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SwanGirl wrote: »

PS Anyone else finding the woman who plays Colette to be a terrible actress? I don't know whether it is meant to be her character but she comes across as so wooden and it feels like she is just reading her lines off an autocue. I think that's the reason why I cannot take to the character.

Yes, I've said it a few times. It's the monotone delivery of her lines that really sticks out. Even when she's cracking a joke, she uses the one voice; there's just no variation.
    Forum Member
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    Yes, I've said it a few times. It's the monotone delivery of her lines that really sticks out. Even when she's cracking a joke, she uses the one voice; there's just no variation.

I think it is an acting choice - she was the same in 'No Angels' but much more varied in 'Torchwood' and the drama about the Lady Chatterley's Lover decency trial. Tonally it worked in No Angels but feels very out of place in Holby - to me at least.
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ I've not see her in anything else so will have to take you word for it! Holby-wise, she just jars spectacularly; it's a shame because, if she ditched the monotone delivery, Collette would probably be a character I could engage with. As it stands, the wooden performance really puts me off. The writing for her seems fine, it's juts the acting that lets her down.
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Johnny was so patronising with Jac at the end... And as I said last week (or maybe it was the week before) she can't win with him, he's telling her to go home and veg out while him & Bonnie sit with Emma but then he'll be the first one to complain that she's not spending enough time at the NICU.

After the way he's been treating her I really hope that Jac and Johnny never get back together... Thank god for Sacha and Elliot being there to support and help her.

Re not wanting jac and Jonny together again, i'm pretty much at that stage now (having been a huge supporter of Janny from their very first episode despite being about the biggest Jac / Joseph shipper around - I just figured the show and jac had to move on, it had been, early 18 months and liked their chemistry) but what I said might happen back in October has. That is, that by prolonging the 'will they, won't they' plotline by introducing a third party and more importantly have Jonny act out of character and horribly to her (and her back at times) they have destroyed everything that made them appealing as a couple in the first place.

This did happen with Jac and Joseph to an extent, their relationship got very toxic and they were vile with each other and had Faye making things worse (a dynamic I suspect they are trying to recreate here) but the difference is I could always understand why Joseph took so against her and really, jac needed to serve some major penance for her affair with his Dad - by the time they reconciled they had both hurt each other, both had a lot to forgive and in some ways the process made them understand and love each other more. But, for the life of me, I don't understand what Jac has done to Jonny to turn him so against her. They were in love, planning a future, she got ill, scared she couldn't give him the children she knew he wanted and shut him out and then got into a bad argument. I understand them splitting after that argument but once he found out about the endometriosis he should have understood where her head was and if not reconciled with her, at least forgiven her for them to move on as friends and co-parents. But he acts like she nailed his puppy to the wall and made him watch as slowly disembowelled it!
    Forum Member
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    I was thinking along the same lines actually. That little scene with Sacha where she was listing how terrible she was/is going to be as a mother made we wonder if that she'll just throw in the towel; especially if Jonny (and now bloody Bonnie!) keep up this sanctimonious attitude towards her. The end was a glimmer of hope, but right now it just seems like Jac's the target for Jonny and his lackey to pick at. It makes horrible viewing.

Do you think that Jonny, Bonnie and Elliot were supposed to be able to hear what she said to Sacha as well as just see them? They were certainly paying enough attention. I'd like to think it would make them more sympathetic, getting an insight into how she feels (though anyone with half a brain might figure it out anyway) and maybe Jonny was trying at the end and Bonnie had the sense to make herself scarce but I can't help thinking that if it got nastier, it could be used against her. Even she admits she can't do it so the baby would be better off with us scenario.
  • NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe the writers would go down the Jac giving up the baby to Johnny/Bonnie route. Jac may not be 'maternal' in the cuddly baby department but she will make a fantastic mother and role model to an older Emma. Johnny is so critical of Jac, but why didn't HE take the baby when it was crying, why farm out the child care to the other woman?
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I almost threw my drink at the TV last night with that stupid cow Bonnie getting in the way all the time, she's like a bad smell that wont disappear. I really do feel for Jac because it does look like Johnny and St Bonnie are kind of ganging up on her abit and Johnny does know Jac, he knows how career minded she is what did he expect!

Loving the Sasha/Elliot scenes as well. I'm glad they offer words of wisdom and stick up for her.

weren't bothered by the weight loss thing, was a bit boring really. Laughed a lot at the man with the rectum problems, especially Serenas wording and delivery of lines it just made me chuckle.

PS - Jac looked hot in her little outfit!
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    It did also occur to me that Jac may end up letting Jonny and Bonnie raise Emma, but I sincerely hope that that does not happen. I think Jonny probably wants her to do that, and that has possibly been his intention right the way through. If that does happen, I will make a formal complaint to the producers; I feel that the way that Jonny has treated Jac has been unacceptable, and if she leaves Emma with them, it would suggest that that is a reasonable thing to do.

The one word that always seems to come up with regards to Bonnie is 'maternal'. I honestly don't see what is so maternal about her. She seems to me to be quite immature and insensitive; the way she reacts to Jac, but also other things, such as shouting out Mo's sex clinic appointment across the ward, and playing that prank on Zosia (although in fairness I think that last was Jonny's idea). On the surface, Bonnie might look more soft and cuddly than Jac does, but I don't feel that she's at all dependable enough to take on the responsibilities of being a mother. Whereas Jac, if she regained her confidence and had a bit more support, would be able to do it quite well, I think.

EDIT: I forgot to say, Sacha was so right about babies crying just varying, and it not always being the parents! It's not that Jac is just fundamentally awful with babies. I remember a few years ago when Daisha's baby was born, Jac was the only one who could make him stop crying.
  • quark14quark14 Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed the episode. Did not like Harry but apart from that it was a very good episode.
This discussion has been closed.