Options

Putin 'land Grab On Crimea' British Empire Was Theft

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
Forum Member
✭✭✭
David Cameron is shy on Putin 'land grab on Crimea' for good reason because the British are the greatest thieves of all, as far as land theft is concerned and the US isn't far behind with Texas and New Mexico. Putin knows all this which is why he has a free run.

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    How many lands have we got that are 'stolen'?

EDIT

Scrub that I see what you are up to from other threads of yours, the NI related ones.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched movie: Threads recently

The War starts small, and then it quickly get's worse

I hope we're not heading back to cold war era
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The British Empire is long gone any overseas territories remain because they want to and we are talking about Putin in 2014 not the BE hundreds of years ago , are all other major countries who had empires also wrong to comment ?

How about if Putin wants another country next week, should we all sit back and say "oh well we did it hundreds of years ago so I suppose its ok" if we do that it wont be long before he is annexing and taking over like Hitler did.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose on the up side it would increase employment via the military and in the arms trade. But it wouldn't be my choice of helping the economy.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    David Cameron is shy on Putin 'land grab on Crimea' for good reason because the British are the greatest thieves of all, as far as land theft is concerned and the US isn't far behind with Texas and New Mexico. Putin knows all this which is why he has a free run.

Uh...it's the 21st century. I think you'll find most British people don't give a **** about what the British Empire was up to.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yup, this has occured to me.

we still own a section of the country next to us. And weve got a bit of Spain. It wasnt too long ago we "generously" gave back to China the bit of that country we nicked.

The reason why Putin wont REALLY be punished is twofold: Firstly he nuclear capacity, making all out war suicidal. Secondly the Russians are too important economically esp for Europe to be punished severely.

We're gonna have to do some serious arselicking of the Chinese govt in the future too :(
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uh...it's the 21st century. I think you'll find most British people don't give a **** about what the British Empire was up to.

Therein lies some of the problem.

I don't think people fully understand Britain's role in screwing the world over throughout history.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The British Empire is long gone any overseas territories remain because they want to and we are talking about Putin in 2014 not the BE hundreds of years ago , are all other major countries who had empires also wrong to comment ?

Does the OP actually realise that Russia had its OWN colonial past??? :o Perhaps if they were to look just a little bit more into the history of the Ukraine and the Crimea they might just learn that the Russians went through pretty much the SAME process...AND they treated the locals just as badly!
    I don't think people fully understand Britain's role in screwing the world over throughout history.

I don't think people fully understand Holland's, or Portugal's, or Spain's, or Belgium's, or France's, or Italy's, or Germany's either....OR Tsarist Russia's...
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Therein lies some of the problem.

They do, but they recognise that it is history.

Despite having played absolute no part in the empire whatsoever are all of today's Britons supposed to be eternal apologists for the actions of our ancestors?
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite having played absolute no part in the empire whatsoever are all of today's Britons supposed to be eternal apologists for the actions of our ancestors?

No.....

And CERTAINLY not if the Russians can't or won't bring themselves to apologise for their ancestors' actions...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are NOT responsible for the actions of our ancestors (and I think you'll find that many of us had ancestors who had absolutely nothing to do with annexing land from other countries). The Empire has nothing to do with us and certainly has no bearing on Putin's plans.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    They do, but they recognise that it is history.

Totally agree. The British Empire was no different than any other colonial power and it was a symptom/statement of the times which did both "good" and "evil".
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    According to the book "All the Countries We've Ever Invaded: And the Few We Never Got Round To", Britain has invaded all but 22 countries in the world:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9653497/British-have-invaded-nine-out-of-ten-countries-so-look-out-Luxembourg.html

According to this article, the Queen owns more land than the Russian Federation:

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2011/03/queen-state-territories
  • Options
    Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avidian wrote: »
    According to the book "All the Countries We've Ever Invaded: And the Few We Never Got Round To", Britain has invaded all but 22 countries in the world:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9653497/British-have-invaded-nine-out-of-ten-countries-so-look-out-Luxembourg.html

According to this article, the Queen owns more land than the Russian Federation:

Is that a huge chip on your shoulder or just a potato ?
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Putin! Putin! ...jesus christ, Putin!!
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    The BE argument is facile,I am waiting to see how Cameron explains the double standard of the Falkland Islands' referendum that is all very noble and highly legal - and the Crimea's referendum that isn't.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    The BE argument is facile,I am waiting to see how Cameron explains the double standard of the Falkland Islands' referendum that is all very noble and highly legal - and the Crimea's referendum that isn't.

Wonderful point :D
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

How about if Putin wants another country next week, should we all sit back and say "oh well we did it hundreds of years ago so I suppose its ok" if we do that it wont be long before he is annexing and taking over like Hitler did.

Just like Crimea wants to be a part of Russia.
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    Is that a huge chip on your shoulder or just a potato ?
    Such cutting, rapier-like wit - you are clearly Stephen Fry and I claim my five pounds :kitty:
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »

Well if I was Cameron and someone made that point I would mention... that the referendum was not condemned by the international community (except Argentina); that it was overseen by a committee from other countries, US, Mexico, Chile, Paraguay and others; and that the the constitution of the Falklands expressly permits self determination thus making the referendum legal under international law.

I personally have no issue with the people of Crimea wishing to return to Russian sovereignty if they wish - I do however have an issue with the way this was done - the time-scale... the lack of concern or discussion with the minority peoples of the Crimea; the Russian soldiers presence etc etc. This was an annexation under arms and whilst Putin says he has no further ambitions in this area... well, we have heard that before (except in German).

As you say, the BE example is facile - and even if it were not... two wrongs don't make a right and I feel for those in the Crimea who might have wanted a proper, lawful and somewhat more thoroughly discussed change of their sovereignty, especially without all the guns being waved about.
  • Options
    Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    people alive today are not responsible for the past actions of the empire and the owning having slaves,in fact we are NOT responsible for any past actions our ancestors, People that think we are responsible are wrong, would they want to be responsible for the actions of their grandfather.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member

What I find scary is that the news reports on Threads sound exactly like the news reports from a week or two ago.
  • Options
    Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    What I find scary is that the news reports on Threads sound exactly like the news reports from a week or two ago.

sadly the idiots that run the world ,will not care how there actions real effect the real people on Earth. :( >:(,they just done what they like and not listen to or care about what the citizens want.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Yup, this has occured to me.

we still own a section of the country next to us. And weve got a bit of Spain. It wasnt too long ago we "generously" gave back to China the bit of that country we nicked.

The reason why Putin wont REALLY be punished is twofold: Firstly he nuclear capacity, making all out war suicidal. Secondly the Russians are too important economically esp for Europe to be punished severely.

We're gonna have to do some serious arselicking of the Chinese govt in the future too :(

Gibraltar as many Gibraltarian's will tell you is not and never will be part of Spain, as for the "bit of country" we gave back to China. Hong Kong was on loan to us and we rightfully gave it back when that 100 year(or whatever it was) lease was up. We did not nick it from China.

Also what do you think Russia are doing now? They are trying to take a part of a country that doesn't belong to them just like you are implying the British have done.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Avidian wrote: »

Perhaps they should get together......

Ra, Ra, Ra Putin
    Lover of the English Queen

:p