Options

Latency "Fix" Programs

SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I play FFXIV and have been experiencing some lag which affects my gameplay.

I have read about "fix" programs. e.g. Pingzap and Leatrix, but being an ignoramus about these things would welcome:

a) some info on how these work

b) some opinions on if they are any good

c) comments from people who have used them

d) opinions on which is the best one

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a) most do a basic set of port forwarding and then some do other game specific stuff which will differ per game.

b) No a waste of money, lag is a server side issues. If your ping is fine (anything under 100 is fine, although with an mmo I would say anything up to 200ms is pretty good).

c) My girlfriend got the WoW one that did the rounds a few years back, I checked out a GW2 one and just as all of them are, rubbish. You can do the stuff yourself, and most of the time you do not need to.

d) If you have a ping issue these will not fix it, if your ping is fine then its the game server side of things, in which case nothing you can do other than change server or see if the issue is being looked into.

I would also add are you sure your lag is not your computer slowing down during lots of heavy activity on screen (during combat or show visuals), if thats a case just lower your settings a bit.

As for these fixers, they are all just trash really, but they earn money because people will buy anything. Same with the endless "gold guides" that crop up for every single MMO that has gold in it.
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leatrix just changes 2 registry keys, which will quite possibly lower your latency in games that use TCP. You do generate more network traffic though, so it's not ideal if you are using your connection for other stuff at the same time.

From an explanation on the Diablo forums ;

TcpAckFrequency = 1 will disable delayed ACK. Default is 2, so it will wait for 2 packages until sending out ACK.
    To disable TCP packet batching, we set TcpNoDelay to 1, so all packets will be send no matter what size they have (normally TCP sends out batched packages).
  • Options
    SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses. Guess I won't bother.

And sorry for the delay in replying.