Options

Two 12 year olds try to kill a friend to please The Slenderman

dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
Forum Member
edition.cnn.com/2014/06/02/justice/wisconsin-girl-stabbed/

Stabbed 19 times? Very lucky she survived.

The whole "blame the internet" is the new "blame the movies" which was the new "blame the books" etc...
These two obviously has a screw loose to begin with.

Comments

• Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Horror stories should be banned.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    They are being charged as adults

that`s so wrong.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even at just 12, they sound retarded to not be able to separate fantasy from reality.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    that`s so wrong.

It's America. Where the death penalty can extend to teenagers and the disabled.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i suppose the fact that they admitted they had started planning to kill the girl last december was the degree of pre-meditation needed to charge them as adults - also one of them admitting she didn't feel any remorse.

but then if i've read it right, wisconsin has no minimum age of criminal responsibility so i guess it's somewhat inevitable they're being charged as adults.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i suppose the fact that they admitted they had started planning to kill the girl last december was the degree of pre-meditation needed to charge them as adults - also one of them admitting she didn't feel any remorse.

but then if i've read it right, wisconsin has no minimum age of criminal responsibility so i guess it's somewhat inevitable they're being charged as adults.

no child should ever be tried as an adult in my opinion, planning and remorse do not alter the fact that they are twelve years old.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no child should ever be tried as an adult in my opinion, planning and remorse do not alter the fact that they are twelve years old.

They tried to kill her with a high level of premeditation. Being 12 is no excuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They tried to kill her with a high level of premeditation. Being 12 is no excuse.

a child of twelve is thought too immature to consent to have sex but old enough to fully grasp all that`s involved in committing a murder as an adult is? i think not.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not an 'excuse' completely, but it's an overwhelmingly large mitigating circumstance which should be taken into consideration at every level of the case.

They were 12 for heavens sake.. that means they would have been in their first year of secondary school if in the UK.. I mean, at that age I was still extraordinarily immature and in a world of my own a lot of the time.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    It's not an 'excuse' completely, but it's an overwhelmingly large mitigating circumstance which should be taken into consideration at every level of the case.

They were 12 for heavens sake.. that means they would have been in their first year of secondary school if in the UK.. I mean, at that age I was still extraordinarily immature and in a world of my own a lot of the time.

Sure, so was I - I'd seen plenty of horrors by then, played scary video games too and it never occurred to me to attempt murder. I agree that they shouldn't be tried as adults, but given the nature of their crime, kid gloves aren't an option either. Tough one.
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that raises anoter question, which is should all adults be tried as adults? What I mean by this is that we put things in pigeonholes, and in this case there's an implication that at a certain point in life one knows how to behave and acts accordingly. But there are plenty of adults who never reach that stage and are no further developed than a twelve year old in that respect, so should such a person be treated any differently from a twelve year old when it comes to the law?
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Horror stories should be banned.

No they should not be,we can not just ban things,,just because someone copy's them,as in the end what would be left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    that raises anoter question, which is should all adults be tried as adults? What I mean by this is that we put things in pigeonholes, and in this case there's an implication that at a certain point in life one knows how to behave and acts accordingly. But there are plenty of adults who never reach that stage and are no further developed than a twelve year old in that respect, so should such a person be treated any differently from a twelve year old when it comes to the law?

wouldn`t that be a mitigation issue?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i should make it clear that i don't actually agree with the decision to try them as adults - I was just speculating on the reasons why that would have happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i should make it clear that i don't actually agree with the decision to try them as adults - I was just speculating on the reasons why that would have happened.

:) that`s just as i read it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wouldn`t that be a mitigation issue?

If it was rare, yes, but I see plenty of 18 year olds, 20 year olds, (30 .. 40.. year olds)who are not particularyl mature or responsible. I'm not talking about the small minority who have a form of disability, I'm talking about a whole tranche of the population who haven't grown up.
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was rare, yes, but I see plenty of 18 year olds, 20 year olds, (30 .. 40.. year olds)who are not particularyl mature or responsible. I'm not talking about the small minority who have a form of disability, I'm talking about a whole tranche of the population who haven't grown up.
    There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, so was I - I'd seen plenty of horrors by then, played scary video games too and it never occurred to me to attempt murder. I agree that they shouldn't be tried as adults, but given the nature of their crime, kid gloves aren't an option either. Tough one.

Nor me, why would it? That's missing the point.

I'm not saying 12 year old's want to murder, but that because they were 12 they could easily have an extremely diminished ability to understand the gravity of what they were doing.. let's not forget why they did this, which is demonstrates it wasn't particularly rational or sane.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

Yes I know. My point is that we set arbitrary ages at which people are supposed to have reached a certain level of maturity but the reality is far away from that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

the law needs some kind of cut off point at and beyond which one can reasonably expect adult cognition, 12 years old isn`t it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could understand maybe stabbing her once because they're kids and believe a stupid story but to continue stabbing someone when they are (surely) crying out etc shows something is not right.

Many children watch/hear horror stories but would never try to kill someone. It sounds like this is an unpopular opinion but I think America has it right with young people who do these things. It's a sign something isn't right in them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the law needs some kind of cut off point at and beyond which one can reasonably expect adult cognition, 12 years old isn`t it.

Precisely, and besides which; the law contains provisions for adults suffering from some level of diminished responsibility or exceptionally, those completely incapable of understanding the nature and ramifications of their crime (insanity plea - if that's still correct/PC?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Precisely, and besides which; the law contains provisions for adults suffering from some level of diminished responsibility or exceptionally, those completely incapable of understanding the nature and ramifications of their crime (insanity plea - if that's still correct/PC?)

also in mitigation. whichever way you approach it, trying children as adults is very, very wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also in mitigation. whichever way you approach it, trying children as adults is very, very wrong.

Oh absolutely - just to confirm I agree they shouldn't be tried as adults.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boofie wrote: »
    I could understand maybe stabbing her once because they're kids and believe a stupid story but to continue stabbing someone when they are (surely) crying out etc shows something is not right.

Many children watch/hear horror stories but would never try to kill someone. It sounds like this is an unpopular opinion but I think America has it right with young people who do these things. It's a sign something isn't right in them.

I'd agree with that. To stab once after initially seeing the film is one thing but to systematically plan various ways in which to murder the other girl over a period of 6 months is another entirely.