Earthshock

2»

Comments

• Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Special mention must go to Malcolm Clarke's excellent (sorry...) clanging metallic music.

A lot of the incidental music during the early JNT era was absolutely dreadful. Malcolm Clarke was by far the best of the composers during the Davison era, I can't fault any of his scores.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where I disagree with daveyboy is about part 1 being a bit of a sluggish start. For me part 1 is the best bit; it's lovely and tense. We see the scanners tracking the troopers down in the tunnels, then the lights showing that life is present go out as each detatchment of troopers are killed. And we don't know until later on in the episode what is killing them; when it's revealed that it's robots, we realise it couldn't have been anything else. (Of course, probably this was obvious in advance to everyone but me. I never see plot twists coming that everyone says are obvious) And then of course we have the Cybermen revelation at the end. If the rest of the story had been as good as part 1, this would have been the best Who story of the whole classic era.

Sadly, I don't think the later parts are as good. That's not to say they're weak; the story remains enjoyable, well-acted and well-written. It's just never quite as good as it promised to be.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was GENUENLY shocked at the ending of earthshock at broadcast, i really liked adric too, and sitting there in silence as the titles rolled off was a absolute kick in the head!

what made it worse was the mourning in the next story ..... oh god :(

an absolute classic DW for me
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where I disagree with daveyboy is about part 1 being a bit of a sluggish start.

What I actually said was that the first episode got of to a relatively slow start compared to what was to follow. I didn't mean it was sluggish, there's a difference.

What I meant by that was that compared to the last two episodes, the pace wasn't as quick. In itself, though, it still was a intriguing and suspenseful episode as the androids killed off all the troopers one by one.

It just wasn't as good as the three episodes that followed.

Hope that helps.

:)
  • MiahMiah Posts: 3,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    what made it worse was the mourning in the next story ..... oh god :(

Agreed, but it didn't last too long. It sort of amounted to "We must accept Adric's gone. He'd have wanted it that way...now, who fancy's a holiday? Cricket, anyone?" :D

I confess I laughed when Adric died. Not because they'd killed him off, but my big sister was a fan of the character and she burst into tears.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I actually said was that the first episode got of to a relatively slow start compared to what was to follow. I didn't mean it was sluggish, there's a difference.

What I meant by that was that compared to the last two episodes, the pace wasn't as quick. In itself, though, it still was a intriguing and suspenseful episode as the androids killed off all the troopers one by one.

It just wasn't as good as the three episodes that followed.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, I hadn't re-checked your wording before posting. I do appreciate the distinction. The general point stands though; I don't agree that the first episode was less good than the others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I hadn't re-checked your wording before posting. I do appreciate the distinction. The general point stands though; I don't agree that the first episode was less good than the others.

I'm not looking to change your viewpoint on this but the reason I think it's less good is because it I feel it is a false start to the story. In the second episode the Cybermen are introduced and the story nearly has to start again as their plans are made apparent and the freighter and it's crew are introduced; basically in the second episode we are introduced to the rest of the story while the bomb plot and the destruction of the Androids wraps up the Part 1 side of things in ten minutes or so in Part 2. It feels in short like a separate storyline that had to be put in because of the surprise of the Cybermen at the end of the episode.

I don't expect you to agree but that's just my thoughts on the issue.

• gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever known anyone to say the first episode of Earthshock is the weakest before! For me it is the strongest in script and direction with the mystery of the androids very effective and the tense atmosphere well conveyed.

From Episode 2 on the story is still very good but the plot holes do start to pile up and it becomes mostly running around and shooting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever known anyone to say the first episode of Earthshock is the weakest before! For me it is the strongest in script and direction with the mystery of the androids very effective and the tense atmosphere well conveyed.

From Episode 2 on the story is still very good but the plot holes do start to pile up and it becomes mostly running around and shooting.

Well I always like to be in a minority! :D

I think with me the dramatic tension in the last two episodes was so superb, that the even the second episode wasn't as good , though both episodes were good within themselves. For me the story gradually built the tension up over every successive episode until you hit the high of the last 10-15 minutes of Part 4.

I find it the case in most Doctor Who stories that the resolution is the most exciting part of it. If it isn't exciting it isn't a good story for me, which is why Time-Flight and Terminus as well fails quite badly in that regard.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not looking to change your viewpoint on this but the reason I think it's less good is because it I feel it is a false start to the story. In the second episode the Cybermen are introduced and the story nearly has to start again as their plans are made apparent and the freighter and it's crew are introduced; basically in the second episode we are introduced to the rest of the story while the bomb plot and the destruction of the Androids wraps up the Part 1 side of things in ten minutes or so in Part 2. It feels in short like a separate storyline that had to be put in because of the surprise of the Cybermen at the end of the episode.

I don't expect you to agree but that's just my thoughts on the issue.

In a way, I agree that it is a false start to the story. But the false start is better than the story we actually got. But it's clear we just won't agree on this.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, I don't think the later parts are as good. That's not to say they're weak; the story remains enjoyable, well-acted and well-written. It's just never quite as good as it promised to be.

The polystyrene door on the freighter and the Cybermen breaking out of their paper cocoons lets the rest of the show down. ;)

Interesting, though, that despite the relative cheapness of Earthshock compared to New Who, the Cybermen themselves were a far better and more frightening design back then.
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is there not to like about this story.

First it has the Cybermen, Yay:)

Second Adric dies (at last), double Yay:):)
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    A top ten classic who story. Only edged out by one other story in the Fifth Doctor's era also.

This is a good old fashioned romper stomper of a story. I love the Cybermen when they are done with menace, a script with a plot and mystery, good dialogue and Saward has it all here. As many have alluded to what a thumping pace there is to this one.

The big reveal, and at the time of original viewing I would have been delighted by the first episode ending, all the scenes with the Androids are mysterious and gripping, not to mention well produced. The cave scenes are eerie and all the troopers getting wiped out is really effective as they are seemingly an unstoppable force during the first episode. Then to get the Cybermen suddenly popping up as the protagonists is marvellous, and still an effective piece of television even several rewatches later. My favourite moment in a story full of great ones.

I enjoy most things in Earthshock the characters, plot, ending, the poignant no theme music at the end with the focus on Adric's crushed star badge.

There is some great dialogue: the ad libbed "braveheart Tegan", the "mouth on legs" line. I do like the Doctors scenes when he says "always the perfect guests" and his speech about being human, anyone for a well prepared meal :)
    Adric is even adequate acting wise, it is funny to see him jump before the Cyberman shoots the panel though :). Only Beryl Reid is out of place a bit here, but never mind.

I love all the cliffhangers, and I especially like the soundtrack and special effects when the Cybermen are smashing out of the silos and marching through the freighter, it all adds to the spine tingling adrenaline inducing feel of the story.

The Cybermen are given a fantastic gratifying outing, from the design and realisation, love the boots. To the recap of their previous meetings with the Doctor: First Doctor's human line from Tenth Planet/Second Doctors scene from Tomb of the Cybermen scene/Fourth Doctors Tin Soldiers line from Revenge of the Cybermen.

Simply brilliant.

A special word on the commentary provided by Peter, Janet, Sarah and Matthew. Really enjoyable and worthy of spending the time to hear the undoubted bond and atmosphere within the actors.