Brendan Rodgers

Comments

• Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Sunday Supplement this morning.

Ignore the fact that Jonathan King appears to have got a job as a football journalist, and look at the caption :D
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes, Brenton. Brendan's evil twin. Expect to see him take over United after Fergie retires, and watch the classic rivalry ignite once more.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    liverpool are going places with rodgers.....good places.

champions league and trophies awaits imo. maybe even the title again
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    liverpool are going places with rodgers.....good places.

champions league and trophies awaits imo. maybe even the title again

Thats quite a statement given his first 6 months in charge.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Right now the realistic place we're going with Rodgers is hopefully stability, cutting the deadwood from the squad and reduce the wage bill.

He seems to be taking us towards the top 6 or 7 in the table, which isn't bad given everything that's gone before. Hopefully he can take us back into the CL places over the next 2 seasons. But in terms of winning the PL? No, I don't think so. We're some way off that yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Thats quite a statement given his first 6 months in charge.

it is quite the statement i agree,but i like to think i know a thing or 2 about this game and i really have confidence that rodgers is gonna be a huge hit at liverpool

as i have said before even in losses they have dominated games, thats the best possible way to lose as it shows a team is not far from rectifying those losses

and when they click they will win alto of games consistently imo

then you factor in hes played half a season with only 1 striker and is probably still playing with a squad he inherited and isnt 100% happy with and id say hes been a success so far. hes added sturridge and coutuinho,young and talented, hes moving liverpool in the right direction

points wise sure they is improvement to be made but the grass shoots of a revival are there for all to see

they have also played really well vs big teams and have been unlucky not to pick up wins vs arsenal and both clubs from manchester

when i say win league i am talking maybe 5 years down the line

liverpool as a club are huge and i feel rodgers has shown the potential he and the club can have together

time will tell of course,i may be peeling egg off my face in the future but ill stick to my guns, i think rodgers will be a huge success at liverpool.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    Right now the realistic place we're going with Rodgers is hopefully stability, cutting the deadwood from the squad and reduce the wage bill.

He seems to be taking us towards the top 6 or 7 in the table, which isn't bad given everything that's gone before. Hopefully he can take us back into the CL places over the next 2 seasons. But in terms of winning the PL? No, I don't think so. We're some way off that yet.

Cutting the deadwood and the wage bill?

Take a look at Joe Allan and Borini. Big transfers on very good wages. Both terribly average players at best.

In a years time they WILL be deadwood.

Rodgers sacrificed Downing, trying to get rid and then playing him. He is now tarnished. Same with Andy Carroll. He has basically thrown £35 million down the drain.

I hear he doesnt fit into the new tactics, and yet i regularly see BR telling his players to hoof the ball up top when they need a goal in the last 20 minutes.

Coates was made into deadwood by BR
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    Cutting the deadwood and the wage bill?

Take a look at Joe Allan and Borini. Big transfers on very good wages. Both terribly average players at best.

In a years time they WILL be deadwood.

Rodgers sacrificed Downing, trying to get rid and then playing him. He is now tarnished. Same with Andy Carroll. He has basically thrown £35 million down the drain.

I hear he doesnt fit into the new tactics, and yet i regularly see BR telling his players to hoof the ball up top when they need a goal in the last 20 minutes.

Coates was made into deadwood by BR

Look at the list of players who have gone - that's the deadwood.

How has BR made Coates deadwood?

Sacrificed Downing? What the hell does that mean? He told Downing he could leave and Downing has responded by actually becoming a useful player.

Rodgers is not responsible for throwing money down the drain with Carroll - that is the fault of the people who signed him for that amount. I like Carroll and wanted him to succeed, but he won't and it's time to cut the losses. There's also a huge difference between putting it up the pitch to the head of a tall striker and playing a long pass aimed at the run of one of your quick players.

As for Allen and Borini, I have no idea what wages they are on, perhaps you could tell me?

Allen looked great and has trailed off, time will tell with him. Borini hasn't impressed yet but also hasn't had chance - they are also both young enough to be improved.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Downing has responded to being told he can leave by improving his performances, he's surely as far from tarnished as you can possibly be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    borini was very good at roma. very silly for anyone to right him off

and downing is surely an example of good management???????
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    If Downing has responded to being told he can leave by improving his performances, he's surely as far from tarnished as you can possibly be.
    borini was very good at roma. very silly for anyone to right him off

and downing is surely an example of good management???????

Let's not forget that the poster in question does have a hatred of BR anyway, but I look forward to the explanation of how he's tarnished?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at the list of players who have gone - that's the deadwood.

How has BR made Coates deadwood?

Sacrificed Downing? What the hell does that mean? He told Downing he could leave and Downing has responded by actually becoming a useful player.

Rodgers is not responsible for throwing money down the drain with Carroll - that is the fault of the people who signed him for that amount. I like Carroll and wanted him to succeed, but he won't and it's time to cut the losses. There's also a huge difference between putting it up the pitch to the head of a tall striker and playing a long pass aimed at the run of one of your quick players.

As for Allen and Borini, I have no idea what wages they are on, perhaps you could tell me?

Allen looked great and has trailed off, time will tell with him. Borini hasn't impressed yet but also hasn't had chance - they are also both young enough to be improved.

A year ago Fans were impressed with Coates saying he was definitely going to be a big player in the clubs future. Now look at him, trying to be shipped out, being played and made to look a fool in the oldham game. Rodgers has made him unsellable and the transfer collapsed! Will he play again for the club? No.

When you tell a player he can leave, you basically halve his transfer value. How is that good for the club. Rodghers treated downing terribly, and then when he ran out of players was forced into playing him! What a cheek. Downing hasnt improved since then, he has just had more games and become more consistent.

King Kenny was responsible for £35m Carrol, probably paying £23m too much for him but we could all see at the time why he made the signing.

However Rodgers killed the value of him completely, loaning him out! Who on earth loans out a £35m asset?

If Carroll had stayed at liverpool and got games (he wasnt doing too badly) then he would have settled in. On form he does look useful. Rodgers wrote off the transfer fee in a day.

Not only that, he paid £10m for a striker who is just not good enough in Borini. That for me is a £45m loss. Why could he not have given Carroll a 6 month run?

Who does rodgers think he is? He definitely does resort to long ball tactics and Carroll holding the ball up for suarez to do his magic looks like a fantastic big man little man combination that could worry any defence in the world.

To not even bother to test it and throw it all away, its terrible management.

Allan could be an ok player, but he will never set the world alight. At £15m he should be far better. LFC should never sign players who are not top 6 players. If and when LFC get back there, Allen will be dumped for not being good enough to move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not forget that the poster in question does have a hatred of BR anyway, but I look forward to the explanation of how he's tarnished?

Not a hatred, im just agog at a club like LFC signing him.

Until you thrashed a Swansea C team at the weekend, the LFC supporters thread was full of fans suggesting that BR is not good enough too!

LFC should NEVER be a "3 year project".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    of course it should when they havnt been top 4 for years
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a hatred, im just agog at a club like LFC signing him.

Until you thrashed a Swansea C team at the weekend, the LFC supporters thread was full of fans suggesting that BR is not good enough too!

LFC should NEVER be a "3 year project".

Why should it not be?

Alot of teams have moved on since Liverpool was a force in English football (due to rich owners in some cases and smart selling of the brand in another) and Liverpool have stayed still. The times when you could say a team should be amonst those who are winning things just because they are Liverpool are long gone due not just to managers but the owners for god knows how long.

Its not a 3 year project its longer
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

King Kenny was responsible for £35m Carrol, probably paying £23m too much for him but we could all see at the time why he made the signing.

However Rodgers killed the value of him completely, loaning him out! Who on earth loans out a £35m asset?

If Carroll had stayed at liverpool and got games (he wasnt doing too badly) then he would have settled in. On form he does look useful. Rodgers wrote off the transfer fee in a day.

We could see why he made the signing?

No, no we couldn't. There was NO logical reason to bring in an injured player on deadline day for more than £20m more than he was worth. That became dead money as soon as the cheque was signed. He was never a £35m asset because he was never worth £35m. Even the day after they signed him they wouldnt have got £15m for him on the open market from another club. Well allegedly Spurs would have, but that seems like a huge double bluff now.

Carroll has been pretty woeful at West Ham, if he was banging in goals for the Hammers it could be argued that BR had cut off his nose to spite his face by loaning him out but its become apparent that he wouldnt have played him if he had stayed so it made more sense to loan him out in the hope that gametime makes him a more appealing signing.
    Forum Member
    A year ago Fans were impressed with Coates saying he was definitely going to be a big player in the clubs future. Now look at him, trying to be shipped out, being played and made to look a fool in the oldham game. Rodgers has made him unsellable and the transfer collapsed! Will he play again for the club? No.

When you tell a player he can leave, you basically halve his transfer value. How is that good for the club. Rodghers treated downing terribly, and then when he ran out of players was forced into playing him! What a cheek. Downing hasnt improved since then, he has just had more games and become more consistent.

Not only that, he paid £10m for a striker who is just not good enough in Borini. That for me is a £45m loss. Why could he not have given Carroll a 6 month run?

Who does rodgers think he is? He definitely does resort to long ball tactics and Carroll holding the ball up for suarez to do his magic looks like a fantastic big man little man combination that could worry any defence in the world.

To not even bother to test it and throw it all away, its terrible management.

Allan could be an ok player, but he will never set the world alight. At £15m he should be far better. LFC should never sign players who are not top 6 players. If and when LFC get back there, Allen will be dumped for not being good enough to move on.

Coates - being played to look like a fool?? He was played and he played badly. I have no idea how you can blame that on Rodgers? Coates is, for me, a top player but he is and has always been (with us) accident prone and that's why he's not had the chances he'd like. Agger, Skrtel and Carra will always be ahead of him.

Downing was playing badly and told he could leave - that's not bad management, the very fact that Downing has upped his performances shows that it was in fact good management. He will probably still leave in the summer, but with half a season of top performances behind him it means we'll end up with more money not less.

If Carroll had stayed with us, why would he have been any better than he's been with West Ham? With Borini time will tell. But he's young and has a solid reputation behind him.

Who does he think he is? Probably thinks he's the manager.

God knows where you get the long ball stuff from. As for Carroll and Suarez being a line up that would worry any defence - that didn't work out that well last season so there's pretty much nothing to show it would this season. Sturridge looks a far better fit with Suarez than Carroll ever did. The goals return he already has proves that. He's got more goals in a handful of games with us than Carroll has all season (and probably last season as well!)

You still didn't say what wages Allen and Borini are on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He loaned out Carroll (are LFC paying some wages still?) and then found he was short of strikers and had to get Borini in, a £10m flop.

What a waste of £10m, huge figures just written off.

LFC should be signing the worlds best players, not Borini or Joe Allen or Ince. Players like that will not let them compete with Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Even Everton has better players.

If they keep wasting money on good but not great players, it will be 6th or 7th for the next 10 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coates - being played to look like a fool?? He was played and he played badly. I have no idea how you can blame that on Rodgers? Coates is, for me, a top player but he is and has always been (with us) accident prone and that's why he's not had the chances he'd like. Agger, Skrtel and Carra will always be ahead of him.

Coates looked like a decent young player - he had the support of the fans and seemed well liked.

Now he is being shipped out, and at a time when Cara is going, Skrtel is off the boil and City are sniffing around Agger, and arsenal are sniffing around Reina.

That cannot be good management.

It is possible that the back 5 of LFC will be different next season. I would not be surprised if Willams and Samba were in central defence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that pairing could work.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He loaned out Carroll (are LFC paying some wages still?) and then found he was short of strikers and had to get Borini in, a £10m flop.

What a waste of £10m, huge figures just written off.

LFC should be signing the worlds best players, not Borini or Joe Allen or Ince. Players like that will not let them compete with Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Even Everton has better players.

If they keep wasting money on good but not great players, it will be 6th or 7th for the next 10 years.

Borini is not a waste of money, He is a very good player (been unlucky with injuries) and ten million at todays market (and Liverpool needing a striker) was not the greatest piece of business but not awful.

Liverpool can not buy the best players in the world, They can not compete when going up against City,Arsenal,Utd or Chelsea, They are not in that league so a waste of time, Players wont come to Liverpool just because of your view of them. So the most intellengent plan is to buy players like Borini/Struddige who will improve the current level which Daniel has already and Borini might do. When you get to the next level you then buy players of that level who then take you to the next level where you then buy players who take you to the next level, Its common sense really
    Forum Member
    Coates looked like a decent young player - he had the support of the fans and seemed well liked.

Now he is being shipped out, and at a time when Cara is going, Skrtel is off the boil and City are sniffing around Agger, and arsenal are sniffing around Reina.

That cannot be good management.

It is possible that the back 5 of LFC will be different next season. I would not be surprised if Willams and Samba were in central defence.

If he's shipped out we'll replace him. Easy enough.

As for Skrtel going off the boil - that's form. It changes.
    City have been sniffing around Agger for ages and he responded by signing a new contract with us. As for Pepe, he won't go to Arsenal - that rumour has been doing the rounds for ages. He will leave soon, but we'll get top dollar for him and will then replace him.

Again - none of that is bad management. You're now resorting to using rumours, most of which without substance to try to prove that BR is a bad manager?
    Forum Member
    Codeblue - would I be right in assuaging you seem to think Carroll can do more than Sturridge? Because Sturridge isn't far off beating Carroll's PL goal tally in his time for us already...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    it is quite the statement i agree,but i like to think i know a thing or 2 about this game and i really have confidence that rodgers is gonna be a huge hit at liverpool

as i have said before even in losses they have dominated games, thats the best possible way to lose as it shows a team is not far from rectifying those losses

and when they click they will win alto of games consistently imo

then you factor in hes played half a season with only 1 striker and is probably still playing with a squad he inherited and isnt 100% happy with and id say hes been a success so far. hes added sturridge and coutuinho,young and talented, hes moving liverpool in the right direction

points wise sure they is improvement to be made but the grass shoots of a revival are there for all to see

they have also played really well vs big teams and have been unlucky not to pick up wins vs arsenal and both clubs from manchester

when i say win league i am talking maybe 5 years down the line

liverpool as a club are huge and i feel rodgers has shown the potential he and the club can have together

time will tell of course,i may be peeling egg off my face in the future but ill stick to my guns, i think rodgers will be a huge success at liverpool.

With the current owners and Brendan Rogers in charge, I quite honestly see very little chance that Liverpool will be anywhere near the title even 5 years down the line.

The striking area has clearly been a big issue and with Sturridge in place ( plus ideally further future backup ) you should profit a lot more from undoubted domination of many matches.

I could see a much better and consistent challenge for a Champions League place within the next few years and indeed getting into that top 4, But to me there is unlikely to be sufficient boardroom backup or nous at times, and Rodgers is just not so good anyway, for that league title to be any more than a dream for a considerable time to come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Codeblue - would I be right in assuaging you seem to think Carroll can do more than Sturridge? Because Sturridge isn't far off beating Carroll's PL goal tally in his time for us already...

No, sturridge is doing well, better than i thought he would.

But i really would like the club to have given Carroll a chance.

I will say it again, i have seen the tactics change so that the team play long ball. Not long through balls, but long balls up to suarez. I always think that Carol would provide a good plan B which the team definitely has used this season.

If you are going to give him away, i would have him at the bridge.