Home and Away - too many new chararcters at once??

rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Home and Away has a habit of doing this every so often where they seem to introduce a whole host of new characters in 1 go, lately we've had

maddy
spencer
chris
Oscar
evelyn
Hannah
josh
the other barret brother
new doctor

plus the people from the cult

sometimes it feels like your watching a different programme

most of these new people I have not taken too at all either, maybe cause its too many at once, the only new person I did like was dr peta Bradley but shes gone

and with
dex, april, Bianca, indi and now heath leaving
its going to seem very unfamiliar

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    at once it hardly at once since Maddy and Spencer arrived the beginning of the year and then Chris was in and out of it a while after, Evelyn, Oscar, Hannah are obviously the walkers replacements and The Barrett's are the Braxtons replacements. and The new doctor is Sid replacement. it kind of makes sense they bring in replacements to replace characters that have left/that are leaving

and the people from the cult are probably just guest characters
    but yeah it going to taking getting use to all these new characters.
  • rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ME1234567 wrote: »
    at once it hardly at once since Maddy and Spencer arrived the beginning of the year and then Chris was in and out of it a while after, Evelyn, Oscar, Hannah are obviously the walkers replacements and The Barrett's are the Braxtons replacements. and The new doctor is Sid replacement. it kind of makes sense they bring in replacements to replace characters that have left/that are leaving

and the people from the cult are probably just guest characters
    but yeah it going to taking getting use to all these new characters.

ricky, kyle, Tamara and zac are all fairly new as well
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,690
    Forum Member
    It happens every three years. H&A cast sign three year contracts and this cycle is continuous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've quite liked all the new characters! And if I'm honest, I wasn't all that bothered about the ones that left.

However I really haven't taken to the Barrett's though, they're never going to be half as popular as the Braxtons.

If, or when, the Braxtons leave, that's when the show's really going to change for me.
    I can't imagine HAA without the Braxtons right now, it's going to be strange. Especially if Bianca leaves. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadRomance wrote: »
    It happens every three years. H&A cast sign three year contracts and this cycle is continuous.

you think they could spread them out a bit more, its hard to take to so many newbies at once
  • Hannah49Hannah49 Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I haven't taken to the Barrett's either. I have got used to Maddie, Spencer & Chris (who flits in & out) but the cult story line didn't interest me. It's just sad there is a lot of big characters leaving soon.
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    It's hard to enjoy the Aussie soaps at times when you know that apart from a few of the old timers, the majority of the characters are only going to be around for a few years. Yes okay the actors want to try their luck overseas but as the majority of them end up failing you would think a full time job would be better for them. That said I know the Aussie soaps don't pay very well (for new/younger actors).

The other problem is also when the new characters just aren't that great. The new HaA characters over the past few years have been crap apart from a select few and when you consider how good some of the characters that have left have been then it's a shame. The Aussie soaps are my favourite and I do prefer them over the UK ones but were it not for the older characters like Alf, Leah, Irene and the Kennedy's, Toadie, Lou etc, the ones that have been with the show for years it'd be hard to enjoy them because of the ever changing casts.
  • SoggyFroggySoggyFroggy Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, they got rid of Rosie, Zac's ex girlfriend, Sid etc so I guess they're just making room for new characters to keep everything fast paced I guess.

I personally don't mind but I can definitely see where you're coming from because it takes a while to get used to them sometimes.
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    It's hard to take characters seriously when you know they're going to leave again.
  • Dan4Dan4 Posts: 2,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree 100%
    It all seems a bit of a mess. A whole load of new characters thrown at us that have no connection to anyone else. I like Spencer, his brother and Maddie. The rest are just boring though. Why not create characters that have some connection to the other characters that are already under used. Leah and Irene haven't left the diner for about 5years!! :o (apart from when Leah escaped the Bay for a while)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theres even more newbies coming who I did not list I have just found out, a new teacher and students from mangrove river as well :/
  • ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    many people think that the ratings will drop considerably when the braxton clan leave in 2014, i can predict a dull period on the horizons, the barrets are the only slightly interesting new addition
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,690
    Forum Member
    I prefer the characters who have been with the show a long time as well. And we have a few now compared to more recent years - Alf, Irene, Leah, John, Marilyn and I imagine Roo will be around for a while to come yet.
    However, Home and Away's success and appeal is it constantly refreshes itself with a new cycle of characters every few years. And it's the most successful TV show in Australian TV history so they must be doing it right!
    And if you take into account that H&A only has in or around twenty regular cast members at any given time, to have 6 of them as long term main stay characters isnt really that bad. The UK soaps have much larger casts so it's natural there would be more long term characters in them. H&A's problem is it doesnt know how to balance the stories between all the cast.
    And what H&A does better than any soap is nod to its past - we've had visits from Morag, Celia and Sally this year, all much loved characters from yesteryear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with the cast constantly refreshing, but they seem to do it in big chunks, rather than 1 or 2 at a time