Simon Cowell and Dannii Minogue have been bonking

Comments

• dog_eat_dogdog_eat_dog Posts: 3,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    Are many the main star on a prime time show once they've come out though? Middle America can be a tough lot and they have a lot of influence.

Ellen hosts a very successful daytime talk show.

Rosie has hosted both her own show, been a permanent panellist on 'The View (during which time, ratings hit an all time high.) and now hosts 'The Rosie Show' on Oprah Winfrey's network.

David Hyde Pierce has won Emmy's during his time on 'Frasier'.

Neil Patrick Harris stars in the very popular 'How I Met Your Mother' on CBS.
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rosie has hosted both her own show, been a permanent panellist on 'The View (during which time, ratings hit an all time high.) and now hosts 'The Rosie Show' on Oprah Winfrey's network.

Not many are the main stars on a prime time show though, I said prime time on purpose, since that's where the ratings and advertisers are.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellen was around for a while before she came out, David Hyde Pierce wasn't out until Frasier finished. I can certainly see why, 10 years ago (the situation has improved massively since) Cowell might have thought or been advised to stay in the closet if he were actually gay. Idol is a very "family" orientated show which is particularly popular in the bible belt and Cowell's "Mr Nasty" would probably have been taken as "Miss Bitchy" if he were gay. Even though the situation is better now, if we go with the theory that he has spent the past 10 years living a lie then it's too far gone for him to come out now.

Cowell co-operating with the book wouldn't be surprising regardless of whether or not it was authorised. It's exactly how he has dealt with the press for years, keeping them close! It's a reasonable theory - if the book was being written anyway then it was surely better to try and influence it in some way? Sometimes it backfires - I recall a profile in The Times a while back. Rather than just do an interview, he took the journalist out to Barbados for judges houses and presumably tried to charm her but the piece she did was not flattering and alluded to him being gay (quite surprising for a News Corp paper). And of course, Ben Elton got backstage access to write Chart Throb which has been taken by many on here to be some kind of expose of the whole process of making the show. If Cowell was really in charge of the book, I doubt his name would appear beside quotes as it has. I doubt Bower would have been given so much time with him and that it would be known he spent so much time with him (which has made it look authorised - when if it was part of a cover up he would have surely just told him what to write.)

It's definitely not doing him any good anyway. Those who think he is gay will always think it and any activity which suggests he isn't will just play into the "cover up" angle. More generally, it doesn't come across particularly well especially when the press are pushing the idea that he basically wrote the book (apparently Max isn't that powerful!). I can't see Murdoch being thrilled by it either. Finally, it's now open season on his private life. Ask Tiger Woods... that's not a good situation because everything just gets dumped out in the open. If he's covering something, I'd wager that this has only pushed them closer to being exposed. Plus, on a purely personal "day to day" aspect, it must be a bit awkward just now! :D
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skribbleuk wrote: »
    Yeah. I watched that Louis Theroux documentary too ages ago. It's pretty clear the stories in the press etc. are all complete "cobblers". I just assumed he was gay but as others have put, apart from his Mum there is no real reason to hide it.

I'd have to agree with Vodka, I think he's a-sexual and has no interest in relationships but doesn't want to appear "weird". So he leaks some stories from time to time etc, which is good for him and good for the publicity wagon for his shows.

I actually thought he came accross pretty well and as a nice guy in the Louis Theroux documentary.

Would an asexual man really go to all these lengths though? My own guess is that he must have had sexual relationships with men and is desperately trying to cover his tracks.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louis Theroux's documentary on Max Clifford that heavily features Simon is excellent. Everyone should watch it if they get the chance, it's almost as good as the one Louis did on Jimmy Savile.
  • dog_eat_dogdog_eat_dog Posts: 3,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Would an asexual man really go to all these lengths though? My own guess is that he must have had sexual relationships with men and is desperately trying to cover his tracks.

Where are they all then :confused:
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There may not be many and perhaps they are media figures like himself, who knows? He's probably way too clever to get involved with a normal member of the public, and he does have a large number of celebrity pals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss_Moo wrote: »

5 hour talk with his mum, who's what 86 now? That must have been gruelling for her and a lot of pressure if she is aware of certain things which need to be covered up.

I imagine the "worst" of the book's secrets is over now. If an affair with Dannii is the biggest reveal, then that won't make Simon sweat. After all, they were both single. Today, all we hear about is his odd beauty regime - yet again.

If Simon was really against this book, Murdoch's paper would not have bought the rights.
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    MICH78 wrote: »
    5 hour talk with his mum, who's what 86 now? That must have been gruelling for her and a lot of pressure if she is aware of certain things which need to be covered up.
    I imagine the "worst" of the book's secrets is over now. If an affair with Dannii is the biggest reveal, then that won't make Simon sweat. After all, they were both single. Today, all we hear about is his odd beauty regime - yet again.

If Simon was really against this book, Murdoch's paper would not have bought the rights.

Maybe she's not aware?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss_Moo wrote: »
    Maybe she's not aware?

Maybe. She's a fairly religious woman, although savvy and was a dancer in the west end, so not exactly led a sheltered life.

It's easy to forget that homosexuality was not legalised until 1967 - Simon was born in '59. Attitudes took a long while to change and people who came out in the 80s were faced with the HIV panic and stigma. Even though he was in a more accepting industry, his parents attitude could have been very different. If people find it hard to come out now, imagine what it was like back then.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cowell's powerful enough to have had this book stopped if he wanted to. He'll not be bothered about it.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow. Yes, very mainstream :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Living in £5 million houses or apartments :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some very interesting stuff from Dan Sabbagh at The Guardian.

One article posted above. To summarise - it says that Cowell "tried to restrict" Bowers access. Sinitta was told that she couldn't talk to him. It also says that Bower was keen to talk to Simon Fuller as a key part of the book but "a colleague of his received a note from an adviser to Cowell indicating he was not supporting the book" and Fuller opted not to speak. Not to pat myself on the back (:p) but I did mention this a few hours ago when I said that he'd most likely granted Bower access in order to influence the output rather than be excluded from the process and completely in the dark about what was going to be written.

The second (link) alleges that The Daily Mail lost the serialisation rights because they believed The Sun would never buy it due to the Murdoch connection. It also claims that The News of the World was set to blow the Minogue story years ago and it was approved by Colin Myler, the then editor, before Simon Cowell phoned a certain Rebekah Brooks and the story was killed immediately after. Also says that Bower apparently had to ask four times before Cowell would confirm the fling.
  • springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK I dont follow any TV or read papers but can anyone point me in the right direction fior evidence that Simon is gay?

Also as someone who is 54 and a bit maybe behind the times, why would anyone in this day and age need to pretend to be gay? Does anyone care these days or is it becaurse Simon is good looking and they think they need that "chemistry" between judges ? although why he needed to pretend is still a bit odd as how would he know this when younger .. ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK I dont follow any TV or read papers but can anyone point me in the right direction fior evidence that Simon is gay?

Also as someone who is 54 and a bit maybe behind the times, why would anyone in this day and age need to pretend to be gay? Does anyone care these days or is it becaurse Simon is good looking and they think they need that "chemistry" between judges ? although why he needed to pretend is still a bit odd as how would he know this when younger .. ?

Reading earlier posts will help. It's all there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Some very interesting stuff from Dan Sabbagh at The Guardian.

The second (link) alleges that The Daily Mail lost the serialisation rights because they believed The Sun would never buy it due to the Murdoch connection. It also claims that The News of the World was set to blow the Minogue story years ago and it was approved by Colin Myler, the then editor, before Simon Cowell phoned a certain Rebekah Brooks and the story was killed immediately after. Also says that Bower apparently had to ask four times before Cowell would confirm the fling.

I can't work out why the Dannii story would be so damaging? Simon loves publicity, especially of the hetro nature and it would no doubt boost ratings if they were known to be dating, however briefly, whilst on the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    HenryBane wrote: »
    Same with Kelly Brook and Carmen Electra, real talents that have given much to the world, enough to judge others. Perhaps he became too irresistible for Sharon Osbourne and she had to leave the show to escape his manly musk? It must be so exhausting and exciting to be him. Anyway, I'm sure Sinitta will be delighting us with her comments on this soon, what's the betting she knew all about it? ;)

yeah, she has a big mouth, you should read what she says on her website attinis. she writes very intermit articles!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't work out why the Dannii story would be so damaging? Simon loves publicity, especially of the hetro nature and it would no doubt boost ratings if they were known to be dating, however briefly, whilst on the show.

If he liked Dannii at that point - and he was certainly trying to make her popular as a judge at least - then he may have realised that it would be damaging for her (especially given what Sharon was saying at the time - most just assumed she was bats*it crazy!). The other thing is that while Max might be rewriting history just now, officially Simon and Terri were still an item at the time. Plus, sha*ging your employees can come off badly as well :D If we move ahead in time then he was seen to be favouring Cheryl and if the NOTW put a particular angle on it then it would definitely come off badly for everyone (apart from Mrs O, in fact!).

Of course, it doesn't really explain the Jasmine Lennard thing... what year was that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    If he liked Dannii at that point - and he was certainly trying to make her popular as a judge at least - then he may have realised that it would be damaging for her (especially given what Sharon was saying at the time - most just assumed she was bats*it crazy!). The other thing is that while Max might be rewriting history just now, officially Simon and Terri were still an item at the time. Plus, sha*ging your employees can come off badly as well. :D

Fair point :D I think he is the sort of character who would very briefly become infatuated with someone and then just as quickly lose interest altogether, so he might have felt if it become public knowledge, he would have had to stay with Dannii for longer.

I think most people by this stage had assumed he had split from Terri, although it wasn't official. I suppose it would have been less than gentlemanly to be seen with Dannii so soon after Terri.

He definitely rated Dannii a lot before Cheryl came along. I remember her being in LA for a meeting with Seacrest and there's no doubt about who arranged that.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point :D I think he is the sort of character who would very briefly become infatuated with someone and then just as quickly lose interest altogether, so he might have felt if it become public knowledge, he would have had to stay with Dannii for longer.

I think most people by this stage had assumed he had split from Terri, although it wasn't official. I suppose it would have been less than gentlemanly to be seen with Dannii so soon after Terri.

He definitely rated Dannii a lot before Cheryl came along. I remember her being in LA for a meeting with Seacrest and there's no doubt about who arranged that.

I think Simon has a very short attention span and gets bored very quickly. You only have to see the way he discards his artists once he gets fed up with them, what happened to his making Leona Lewis the new Whitney? That went by the wayside when get got fed up with her. Same goes with Steve Brookstein, Shayne Ward, Gareth Gates, Paul Potts. The list is endless.
  • chavetchavet Posts: 2,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, have you ever heard of Ellen DeGeneres, Neil Patrick Harris, Davis Hyde Pierce, or Rosie O'Donnell... they are all rather popular U.S TV stars.

Not all Americans are bigoted homophobes, you know.

Um, yes. Well enough to know that these examples would contradict rather than support the point you're trying to make. Do you know why Ellen is now a successful talk show host?

P.S. One of the men to whom you refer as someone seemingly thought of as being gay for reasons that lacked credibility has a boyfriend. Or at least had a boyfriend. No, I've never seen a single man come forward to out him, although questions have been raised, and there are several examples of such celebrities.
  • springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Reading earlier posts will help. It's all there.

OK I will leave it not intrested enough to read 20 pages of mostly nothing to find lots of ( if past threads anything to go by) hints and guesses and not much else. Thank you for your time anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no evidence to be blunt! As to why he might hide being gay, main reason would be the 8/9 years spent on American Idol. Massive, family show, popular with the conservative, religious Americans. Much bigger stars than Simon have hid their sexuality to succeed in America.

Also, whether he expected this or not, he did gain a cult following as an unlikely sex symbol and probably felt playing up to this and having chemistry with female judges would boost ratings and he was right in some ways.