James McClean refuses to wear a poppy

Comments

• Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    No, not really.

So this freedom only works one way? There's no freedom of speech for those who don't like what he's doing?
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    So this freedom only works one way? There's no freedom of speech for those who don't like what he's doing?

What has it got to do with them? Does it affect them? It's his decision and his alone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    What has it got to do with them? Does it affect them? It's his decision and his alone.

They have the right to express a view.

And if you don't like their view then you have the right to express your view about it....
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

Not wearing a poppy is not "freedom of speech" its simply not doing something. He is passive. He is not vocally campaigning against the poppy.

Attacking him for not wearing it is not a demonstration of freedom of speech unless you are suggesting attacking anyone for anything verbally is simply exercising "freedom of speech"?
    Forum Member

And if you don't like their view then you have the right to express your view about it....

That work with racism does it?

"Im just expressing my view"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That work with racism does it?

"Im just expressing my view"?

Nope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not wearing a poppy is not "freedom of speech" its simply not doing something. He is passive. He is not vocally campaigning against the poppy.

Attacking him for not wearing it is not a demonstration of freedom of speech unless you are suggesting attacking anyone for anything verbally is simply exercising "freedom of speech"?

People have the right to criticise other people.
    Forum Member
    Nope.

EDIT: never mind.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

Everyone has the right to express a view respectfully. The kind of abuse he's been getting on Twitter is vile.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Starting to remind me of last week's South Park where they were citicised for wearing wristbands, then for not removing them, then for not wearing them, then for wearing the wrong ones etc.
    Forum Member
    People have the right to criticise other people.

On what basis and on what terms do they have that right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So where is the line drawn?

Im not wearing a tie

"OMG hes not wearing a tie?!!!"

"He's a ****"

"Fair enough, he just expressing a view"

People have the right to criticise other people for not wearing ties. I'm not saying it's a view I agree with. But it's certainly not a view that should be banned.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Did John O'Shea not wear one also?
    Forum Member
    People have the right to criticise other people for not wearing ties. I'm not saying it's a view I agree with. But it's certainly not a view that should be banned.

"You're a c***" because you aren't wearing a tie would be ok then?
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, during the Ireland vs South Africa rugby match coverage on BBC2 this evening, Keith Wood wore one but Brian O'Driscoll opted not to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You're a c***" because you aren't wearing a tie would be ok then?

Wouldn't bother me. But if people object to swear words etc, fair enough. Criticism should be allowed though.
  • UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Did John O'Shea not wear one also?
    O'Shea was brought up in the south, McClean in Derry. Are you aware of the differences between the two upbringings or deliberately adding a red herring?
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't bother me. But if people object to swear words etc, fair enough. Criticism should be allowed though.

Erm, that has nothing to do with swear words?! :confused:

There is no value in this going any further. I do see the initial point you're making though to be fair.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Interestingly, during the Ireland vs South Africa rugby match coverage on BBC2 this evening, Keith Wood wore one but Brian O'Driscoll opted not to.

Why are you copying my post on page one?
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uriah wrote: »
    hea was brought up in the south, McClean in Derry. Are you aware of the differences between the two upbringings or deliberately adding a red herring?

McClean is a nationalist, Derry is a nationalist city. He would have been brought up as a nationalist/republican.

John O'Shea is from Waterford and therefore is probably less of a nationalist than a fellow Sunderland player who was born in the UK!
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this on a football thread.

Man doesn't wear a poppy not exactly news is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    McClean is a nationalist, Derry is a nationalist city. He would have been brought up as a nationalist/republican.

John O'Shea is from Waterford and therefore is probably less of a nationalist than a fellow Sunderland player who was born in the UK!

Not sure whether your intent was to back up my point but you have just done so.

An Englishman and an Irishman playing for Sunderland have no identity problem in relation to their nationality.

An Irishman born in Derry should not have a qualms about his identity either as it is made clear by the British and Irish governments they are free to choose either nationality.

The only problem is that a player from Derry may have had relatives shot dead by an army he is now being asked to commemorate. Perhaps it is just the sour taste left on his community that has forced him into taking this stance.

You have no right to make him wear one. If you look into his reasons for not wearing one and then still feel able to criticise him then - and only then - is your point worth listening to.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »

Are you surprised that he doesn't want to pay respects to the black and tans and such......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Are you surprised that he doesn't want to pay respects to the black and tans and such......

First and foremost, I am an Englishman. I have no problem admitting that actions by the army in NI will have a lasting legacy. The actions of the PIRA will leave a lasting legacy for many others.

If those from the North were forced to wear something in remembrance of the Easter Rising in 1916 and refused to do so how would we feel about it.

We're all good preaching about what people fought and died for but are no better than dictators when the 'Poppy Card' is played.

Live and let live.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does not matter whether someone is from Derry, Dublin, London, Glasgow or anywhere else. If you don't want to wear a red poppy or don't believe in what it stands for then that is fine. If a Scottish, welsh or English player doesn't wear one they deserve no criticism just like McClean doesn't.