Options

TV picture shadowing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
Forum Member
Hi - I plugged in my new Humax just now and the first thing I noticed was that I could see a shadow of the normal telly picture very faintly in the background going from from left to right.

This can clearly be seen when I press the menu button against the blue background

I tried taking out the arial connection from my TV and the shadowing picture disappeared but the quality of the picture (obviosuly) reduces.

Is this normal, a faulty of my arial or TV or a possible problem with the Humax?

Any help with this would be much appreciated, :(:(:(

Mike

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Is the connection from the Humax to the TV a composite signal and SCART cable? This sounds like echoing in the cable. This can happen if the cable has unshielded conductors in it. This should not happen if you use an RGB connection. If you must use composite, you may find a better quality cable will work, or you can cut the cable conductor, or remove the pin, taking the return signal from the TV. I can't remember the pin number, a search on here will find it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I had similar problems. The problem occurs due to interference in the Scart lead. A lot of TVs send a picture down the scart lead - designed so that Videos could record what is being shown on TV I believe.
    Unfortunately the supplied Scart lead with the Humax isn't the best quality so this allows the interference.
    Various solutions :
    1) If you have 2 RGB Scarts on your TV try the other one- typically TVs don't send the picture on all scarts. Check your TV manual for details of which ones do. Of course this might cause similar problems on your DVD (but I guess your DVD will have a better quality Scart).
    2) Use a better quality Scart lead with double insulation.
    3) If you are feeling daring - you can actually cut the wire in the Scart lead where the TV feeds back the picture. You will need to do some searches on these forums for which pin to cut (maybe it will say so in your TV manual !).

Richard
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member

Richard

Well that did the trick. Found a spare (and thicker) Scart lying around and gave it OK.

Depression has been lifted. Just think, if they hadn't supplied a Scart cable I wouldn't have been pulling my hair out for a couple of hours!!

Thanks to both of you for your help!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I had similar problems. The problem occurs due to interference in the Scart lead. A lot of TVs send a picture down the scart lead - designed so that Videos could record what is being shown on TV I believe.
    Unfortunately the supplied Scart lead with the Humax isn't the best quality so this allows the interference.
    Various solutions :
    1) If you have 2 RGB Scarts on your TV try the other one- typically TVs don't send the picture on all scarts. Check your TV manual for details of which ones do. Of course this might cause similar problems on your DVD (but I guess your DVD will have a better quality Scart).
    3) If you are feeling daring - you can actually cut the wire in the Scart lead where the TV feeds back the picture. You will need to do some searches on these forums for which pin to cut (maybe it will say so in your TV manual !).

Richard

TV out is Pin 19 on the scart. If you can open the scart, it is possible to push pin 19 up inside the scart and insulate it with tape or cut the wire to the pin.You only need to do the TV end of the Scart and I suggest marking the scart as TV end pin 19 disconnected. Don't use it for anything else.