Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »

Haha like one posters has already said that video never gets old. :D
  • Options
    Mad Dog123Mad Dog123 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    You mean the "America: F*ck yeah" video?

I'm talking about both videos. But anyway there's this general attitude that we in the UK and Europe overall that Americans are dumb, fat idiotic. If they're so dumb then why do they have the worlds largest economy? Why are so many of the richest people American and not British/other European nationalities?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Mad Dog123 wrote: »
    I'm talking about both videos. But anyway there's this general attitude that we in the UK and Europe overall that Americans are dumb, fat idiotic. If they're so dumb then why do they have the worlds largest economy? Why are so many of the richest people American and not British/other European nationalities?

Still with the whole "general attitude" thing?! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Still with the whole "general attitude" thing?! :rolleyes:

Well there is even if you can't see it. I'm not saying everyone thinks that but that's the way it is.
  • Options
    LilolemeLiloleme Posts: 5,839
    Forum Member
    Well there is even if you can't see it. I'm not saying everyone thinks that but that's the way it is.

America is rubbish that's why.

They are all fat and not very bright and every one of them owns a gun even the kids.
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem with Americans, I live with one.

America on the other hand.........
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

So, it's wrong for us to form a general opinion of yanks based on a stereotype but it's okay to use the same methods to criticise Brit's?

You really haven't thought this through, have you? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Liloleme wrote: »
    America is rubbish that's why.

They are all fat and not very bright and every one of them owns a gun even the kids.

Thanks for your contribution :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your contribution :rolleyes:

No problem, it's about time somebody opened your eyes to reality.
  • Options
    thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I smell a troll.

By the way Mr Gaddafi, was there any need to bump my thread just to say the film sucked?t :rolleyes:
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah we hate them sooo much...we rush to McD's in our Ford cars, change into Levi's before watching CSI and booking our hols in Florida :D

I dont eat McD's I dont own a car, I don't own any levi's and I have NEVER watched one episode of CSI, and have never been to the USA,
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont eat McD's I dont own a car, I don't own any levi's and I have NEVER watched one episode of CSI, and have never been to the USA,

Oddly enough same here except my car is Italian..:D
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Oddly enough same here except my car is Italian..:D

My last motorbike was Japanese, although my next one MIGHT be American, not decided yet,
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's disgusting how there's so much hate towards Americans in this country. Without them we'd be nothing, pretty much a third world state. They came to us in our time of need in World War II and we should be grateful about that. There is no greater friend and ally than The United States of America.

Unlike those European parasites that are the French and Gemans, Americans are awesome.

God Bless America.

I was thinking only recently to start a similar post on anti-Americanism, but after reading some of the responses to you, glad I didn't . . .

I am an American in the UK for ten years now. I came because I wanted to live abroad and it worked. Even after all these years, it really surprises me how awful Britons in particular can be to Americans. As one who is fully integrated in this culture and doesn't walk around talking incessantly about my country of origin, I am still taken aback at some of the comments made at me based strictly on my accent.

When I say it's based on my accent, it is not because of a long conversation or doing anything out of the ordinary, it's something like someone overhearing me order a drink in a pub or asking me for a light on the street. I am asked if I am American, I say yes, and I have been called A LOT of names, from stupid, insular, idiot, the list goes on, all assumptions of who I am based on seconds of hearing me speak. Several times after answering yes things have been said to me like 'I don't like Americans.' Really not sure what I am expected to do with that.

One time I walked into my local pub after work and one of the other regulars tried to attack me. I was maybe 2-3 feet in the door when he started screaming at me about US 'friendly fire' killing British soldiers which had been on the news at some point that day. I work in the NHS, so certainly had no insider knowledge or involvement in military operations and if he'd bothered to find out, I have never supported the war. When he made the move to assault me physically, staff and customers jumped in, hauled him out and he was barred. I didn't even reply to what he was saying as I was so stunned, so I certainly did not egg him on.

Another time I was screamed at by a woman I know casually while sitting with friends talking about the X-Factor. She was going on about how American television makes British children stupid (her words, not mine). I was across the room and had said hello to her previously but that was it, so again, not an instance where I stirred trouble and ran off, I had no clue what she was on about. I have many more stories but too long winded now, but hopefully you get my point!

So, is this okay to people that this goes on?

PS - OP, I do agree with others, your post was a little OTT, but it's fine :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Handers wrote: »
    and I have been called A LOT of names, from stupid, insular, idiot, the list goes on

What the hell kind of pubs do you go to?
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member

The only place I ever hear of this anti American stance is on the internet.No one in real life has ever mentioned it to me.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's disgusting how there's so much hate towards Americans in this country. Without them we'd be nothing, pretty much a third world state. They came to us in our time of need in World War II and we should be grateful about that. There is no greater friend and ally than The United States of America.

Unlike those European parasites that are the French and Gemans, Americans are awesome.

God Bless America.

That may or may not have had a part to play in my being born, which I suppose I could conceivably be 'just to be on the safe side' grateful for. That doesn't however excuse McDonalds, KFC, Subway and Starbucks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was thinking only recently to start a similar post on anti-Americanism, but after reading some of the responses to you, glad I didn't . . .

I am an American in the UK for ten years now. I came because I wanted to live abroad and it worked. Even after all these years, it really surprises me how awful Britons in particular can be to Americans. As one who is fully integrated in this culture and doesn't walk around talking incessantly about my country of origin, I am still taken aback at some of the comments made at me based strictly on my accent.

When I say it's based on my accent, it is not because of a long conversation or doing anything out of the ordinary, it's something like someone overhearing me order a drink in a pub or asking me for a light on the street. I am asked if I am American, I say yes, and I have been called A LOT of names, from stupid, insular, idiot, the list goes on, all assumptions of who I am based on seconds of hearing me speak. Several times after answering yes things have been said to me like 'I don't like Americans.' Really not sure what I am expected to do with that.

One time I walked into my local pub after work and one of the other regulars tried to attack me. I was maybe 2-3 feet in the door when he started screaming at me about US 'friendly fire' killing British soldiers which had been on the news at some point that day. I work in the NHS, so certainly had no insider knowledge or involvement in military operations and if he'd bothered to find out, I have never supported the war. When he made the move to assault me physically, staff and customers jumped in, hauled him out and he was barred. I didn't even reply to what he was saying as I was so stunned, so I certainly did not egg him on.

Another time I was screamed at by a woman I know casually while sitting with friends talking about the X-Factor. She was going on about how American television makes British children stupid (her words, not mine). I was across the room and had said hello to her previously but that was it, so again, not an instance where I stirred trouble and ran off, I had no clue what she was on about. I have many more stories but too long winded now, but hopefully you get my point!

So, is this okay to people that this goes on?

PS - OP, I do agree with others, your post was a little OTT, but it's fine :)

It really isn't fine, it's blatant flame bait. If you had actually started your thread I imagine you would have had a very different response.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    What the hell kind of pubs do you go to?

Not dives if that's what you are assuming! If you were to divide the middle class into three, the upper two thirds of that group are the worst.

I don't know many Americans here, but the ones I do have reported similar experiences so it's not just me either . . .
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not dives if that's what you are assuming! If you were to divide the middle class into three, the upper two thirds of that group are the worst.

I don't know many Americans here, but the ones I do have reported similar experiences so it's not just me either . . .

I could tell you my experiences, but that would just encourage another tedious DS tit for tat session. When those things start to get to me, I just have to remind myself that the cool people far outweigh the ********s. It's just unfortunate that it's the ********s we remember most vividly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not dives if that's what you are assuming!

No, I really wouldn't be assuming that based on what you said (note the highlight)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I could tell you my experiences, but that would just encourage another tedious DS tit for tat session. When those things start to get to me, I just have to remind myself that the cool people far outweigh the ********s. It's just unfortunate that it's the ********s we remember most vividly.

Same. However, I work with a 16 year old and a 20 year apprentice and they think my accent sounds "dead glam."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen some anti-American sentiment here, but I think it has more to do with politics and maybe culture than the individual people.

Of course, Brits have stereotypes about us, but it goes both ways.
  • Options
    Glentoran_GuyGlentoran_Guy Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    OP you say without the Americans we would be nothing...ok thats maybe true in recent history. But I pose this back to you...BECAUSE OF THEM we ARE in this shit atm. If in 1801 they hadnt rebelled against our generous government, we would have the greatest empire ever seen and we would all be living the lives of kings with the abundant resources of North America and Canada.