Options

Anti American sentiment in the UK

Comments

• Options
    Mad Dog123Mad Dog123 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    OP you say without the Americans we would be nothing...ok thats maybe true in recent history. But I pose this back to you...BECAUSE OF THEM we ARE in this shit atm. If in 1801 they hadnt rebelled against our generous government, we would have the greatest empire ever seen and we would all be living the lives of kings with the abundant resources of North America and Canada.

Oh that is absoulte rubbish. You wanna know why we're in this why we're in such deep s**t economically? It's because we've been running huge debts and deficits over the past decade largely mainly because of Labour. I mean sure someone's going to bring up the point of the ultra capitalistic bankers bring our economy down but if you wanna know who's largely to blame then look no further than messers Brown and Blair. The banking crisis was more of a spark. The banking crisis was far severe in the US but now look at our two countries.

Funny how the US economy is doing far better than ours and much of Europe's. At least they're not having to undergo huge pubic sector cuts like we are. Their economy is outgrowing us.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Mad Dog123 wrote: »
    Funny how the US economy is doing far better than ours and much of Europe's. At least they're not having to undergo huge pubic sector cuts like we are. Their economy is outgrowing us.

The US economy is doomed.
    Seriously, it's inevitably going to go to shit in a big way and it's utterly unavoidable.

Thing is, the yanks simply don't bother to raise taxes in order to try and reduce their deficit.
    Pretty much every yank government since WW2 has taken the view "Screw it. Give the people what they want now cos we'll be long-gone by the time it comes back to bite them in the ass".
  • Options
    Glentoran_GuyGlentoran_Guy Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Oh that is absoulte rubbish. You wanna know why we're in this why we're in such deep s**t economically? It's because we've been running huge debts and deficits over the past decade largely mainly because of Labour. I mean sure someone's going to bring up the point of the ultra capitalistic bankers bring our economy down but if you wanna know who's largely to blame then look no further than messers Brown and Blair. The banking crisis was more of a spark. The banking crisis was far severe in the US but now look at our two countries.

WTF did my post have to do with the bloody economy and your crusade against Capitalist, western living? By the "shit we're in" I meant overpopulation and having no influence in the world. If we still owned america we would all live over in the abundant vast lands of america not to mention canada, india, africa, australis and the Motherland Britain and we would rule the world with an iron fist.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Plus the way we laugh at the 'fat Americans' when it's hilarious how we're not far behind them.

And a lot of it is down to the invasion in this country by McDonald's, Burger King and KFC.
  • Options
    Glentoran_GuyGlentoran_Guy Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    And a lot of it is down to the invasion in this country by McDonald's, Burger King and KFC.

You mean the world...they arnt exactly exclusive to here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You mean the world...they arnt exactly exclusive to here.

I know. However, we are talking about the UK, as per thread title.

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WTF did my post have to do with the bloody economy and your crusade against Capitalist, western living? By the "shit we're in" I meant overpopulation and having no influence in the world. If we still owned america we would all live over in the abundant vast lands of america not to mention canada, india, africa, australis and the Motherland Britain and we would rule the world with an iron fist.

Aaah good old colonialism eh? One of the very few things this country got right was to give up its pathetic empire. I wouldn't be surprised if you're a die hard monarchist?
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Handers wrote: »
    I was thinking only recently to start a similar post on anti-Americanism, but after reading some of the responses to you, glad I didn't . . .

PS - OP, I do agree with others, your post was a little OTT, but it's fine :)

No way was it 'fine'.

I will only criticise America (or any other state) when I perceive it to have done something wrong or offensive (this happens with any country from time to time). Legitimate criticism of any country is acceptable and does not make the speaker anti-American.

Blind prejudice of course is ignorant and reprehensible, but unfortunately the OP put themselves into exactly that box by calling Europeans 'parasites'. This is blatent and unpleasant racism, and anyone who stoops that low immediately loses the argument.

If you think the OP has been unjustly treated, and/or demonstrates anti-US feeling in this forum, you need to look again at what it means to be anti-American as the only ignorant tosspot I see here is the OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    No way was it 'fine'.

I will only criticise America (or any other state) when I perceive it to have done something wrong or offensive (this happens with any country from time to time). Legitimate criticism of any country is acceptable and does not make the speaker anti-American.

Blind prejudice of course is ignorant and reprehensible, but unfortunately the OP put themselves into exactly that box by calling Europeans 'parasites'. This is blatent and unpleasant racism, and anyone who stoops that low immediately loses the argument.

If you think the OP has been unjustly treated, and/or demonstrates anti-US feeling in this forum, you need to look again at what it means to be anti-American as the only ignorant tosspot I see here is the OP.

I'll take back the word parasite. How about benefit scroungers? Would that be a better term? Because that's the main problem with Europe at the moment.

We've been accustomed to expecting something from the state that we've almost bankrupted ourselves. We have a public sector larger than the private sector :eek: Anyone who thinks that's ok and sustainable is living in cloud cuckoo land. Look at Greece and other EU countries, people there have been relying too much on government 'social programmes' and borrowing which has bankrupted Greece. Italy is also on the brink of financial collapse for living beyond their means,

And once the spending cuts hit here I won't be surprised if one or two people spit their dummy and cry that no one's helping them. At least in America you're encouraged to make your own living.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you actually know any Americans OP? Any in business?

Only yesterday a good friend told me how her business is going under due to the recession over there. Property is also heading back down the wrong way over there and people are predicting a new low in house prices for Summer 2012.

I've a feeling this thread has been done for all the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we should all club together and buy mad dog a one way ticket to the states.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    So you are now saying that the French and Germans are benefit scroungers, have I got that right?

In any case, I see no evidence whatsoever that anti-Americanism stems from a larger state sector in European countries. If anything, somewhat ironically, I'd say it comes from a perception that the US spends an absolute fortune of taxpayers' money on 'defense', and then directs a large proportion of that at conflicts it has no real involvement with.

That is their choice of course, and I don't seek to criticise the US government for that, much less the American people. The only time it bothers me is when the UK gets involved; our defence strategy should be independent of both the US and Europe in my opinion.

Regardless, there's a huge chasm between criticising European-style public spending, and referring to the good people of France and Germany as "benefit scroungers". The former is legitimate criticism, the latter is arguably anti-Frenchism and anti-Germanism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    classixuk wrote: »
    Do you actually know any Americans OP? Any in business?

Only yesterday a good friend told me how her business is going under due to the recession over there. Property is also heading back down the wrong way over there and people are predicting a new low in house prices for Summer 2012.

I've a feeling this thread has been done for all the wrong reasons.

Sure they've got economic problems, really serious problems. But compared to the UK and Europe the US is debt free. I always facepalm myself when I hear people on this side of the pond describing Americans as debt ridden fatass rednecks who can't point their own country on a map. People don't realize that we're in far deeper in trouble than the US.

For months the UK/European media were laughing at the US and its debt crisis. Oh dear :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sure they've got economic problems, really serious problems. But compared to the UK and Europe the US is debt free. I always facepalm myself when I hear people on this side of the pond describing Americans as debt ridden fatass rednecks who can't point their own country on a map. People don't realize that we're in far deeper in trouble than the US.

For months the UK/European media were laughing at the US and its debt crisis. Oh dear :rolleyes:

Oh dear, indeed. You really need a reality check.

Have one on ME.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Oh dear, indeed. You really need a reality check.

Have one on ME.

I could talk about the UK debt if you want me to. Also did you know that we have the highest budget deficit of any G20 country?
    jjne wrote: »
    So you are now saying that the French and Germans are benefit scroungers, have I got that right?

In any case, I see no evidence whatsoever that anti-Americanism stems from a larger state sector in European countries. If anything, somewhat ironically, I'd say it comes from a perception that the US spends an absolute fortune of taxpayers' money on 'defense', and then directs a large proportion of that at conflicts it has no real involvement with.

That is their choice of course, and I don't seek to criticise the US government for that, much less the American people. The only time it bothers me is when the UK gets involved; our defence strategy should be independent of both the US and Europe in my opinion.

Regardless, there's a huge chasm between criticising European-style public spending, and referring to the good people of France and Germany as "benefit scroungers". The former is legitimate criticism, the latter is arguably anti-Frenchism and anti-Germanism.

If it wasn't for America we would be invaded by now. I don't know if anyone knows this but the UK has been left without a a single warship defending its shores. What's to stop the Argentinians or someone other country from attacking us right on our doorstep? The only reason why a country hasn't attacked us on our doostep is because we're allied to the US. They wouldn't dare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If it wasn't for America we would be invaded by now. I don't know if anyone knows this but the UK has been left without a a single warship defending its shores. What's to stop the Argentinians or someone other country from attacking us right on our doorstep? The only reason why a country hasn't attacked us on our doostep is because we're allied to the US. They wouldn't dare.

Oh dear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_Royal_Navy_ships

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astute_class_submarine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_nuclear_arsenal

I think you forget how powerful the British are in terms of military power.

Without the Americans, we can still kick ass.

Challenger Tank.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenger_2

Apache helicopter. Yes, we've bought them from the states.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_helicopter

Harrier Jump Jet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrier_jump_jet

Eurofighter'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon

For example.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there probably is some level of anti-Americanism in the UK or Europe for that matter not a big deal though I'd venture to guess. Most of it can probably be attributed to politics, I think a lot of it is also misconceptions and mis-characterizations of what the US is really like for those who have never been here at all, or what the US is really like outside of touristy areas for those who have been here but only to Walt Disney World or Manhattan.

We are a very friendly people and in my experience the dozen and a half or so British people I've met have all loved it here, they all said they'd miss the people (us haha), the stores, the Mountain Dew, and the Taco Bell when they got home. I know they all know they are welcome back anytime.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it wasn't for America we would be invaded by now.

There were a number of factors that stopped Hitler from winning the war and America was just one of them. When you watch umpteen documentries on the war - like I have - it becomes quite obvious.

As for people being anti-this and anti-that, every country has its positives and negatives and most countries have contributed to the world at some point in their histpry. It was the UK that discovered DNA in the 80's (leading to more crimes being solved) and kick-started the industrial revolution.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Oh dear.

Harrier Jump Jet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrier_jump_jet

For example.
    We don't have Harriers any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    We don't have Harriers any more.

Fair point, but it's true they have only been retired recently.

I don't know the exact capabilities of their replacements, but it is certainly true Harriers have served us well in the past.

Not forgetting that the British forces are very highly trained and some divisions, such as the SAS and SBS are widely regarded as being about as good as it gets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Air_Service

However, I expect you know all that already.
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think America would be much better off today if it had remained within the British Empire.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

While I hear what you are trying to say, why is that something to be proud of?
    I'll take back the word parasite. How about benefit scroungers? Would that be a better term? Because that's the main problem with Europe at the moment. ,

Really? Unemployment is about 8%. That means 92% are working (or are too young or old). Most people on the dole do NOT want to be there either.

Unemployment in the US is about 9%. And I can assure you, life in the US is not all sunshine and flowers for many people either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I could talk about the UK debt if you want me to.

Please do.

Start with why S&P downgraded the USAs debt rating while the UKs remains triple-A.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cads wrote: »
    nothing wrong with the yanks

I agree. Unlike the Europeans, especially the French, they make a real effort to speak English
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    I agree. Unlike the Europeans, especially the French, they make a real effort to speak English

Yes, but they can't quite get it right. They seem to drop letters from words, are unable to remember the correct names for many things (such as parts of a car, trousers and various foodstuffs), and have a terrible tendency to use nouns as verbs in error. :D