Options

Don't know what I am missing with Louis

Comments

• Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    Agree with all. Some people forget that he really hasn't had any performance or dance experience and considering those two points alone he has made a massive improvement and IMO would be a worthy winner.

Ditto from me! Of the contestants left - he has had the 'biggest journey' imo.
  • Options
    themightypierrethemightypierre Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barley wrote: »

To the op, only a straight man could think Louis doesn't have charisma.

Trying to say only a gay man can spot when a man is attractive or has charisma is a flimsy argument. I'm a straight man but can tell you that when Antonio Banderas is on the screen or Ryan Gosling nobody else gets a look in. I know charisma when I see it.

Louis doesn't project that to me. Or my wife. Or a lot of people on here.

I like him well enough and got respect for his achievements but to me as a performer he leaves me cold.
  • Options
    wotsnewpussycatwotsnewpussycat Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP. I find him dull and boring, which is a shame as I would love to see Flavia win. He is just emotionless, maybe because as a gymnast he had to block out the audience when he performed, but as I have said before, he does have a lovely bum :D

I wonder if combating ADHD has meant learning to bury more outward displays of emotion. That along with the control necessary for his particular gymnastic skill might explain his 'composed' style.
  • Options
    alimyleralimyler Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I actually find him to be a genuinely charming young man who dances exquisitely. I voted for him last night and hope that he and Dani are the final two.
  • Options
    multisyncmultisync Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I like him mainly from the Olympics when I saw him lose out. He seemed very gracious in defeat. He comes over as perhaps not the brightest but a honest decent chap.

This may seem more controversial but it would not surprise me if he was gay..
  • Options
    alimyleralimyler Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    Are you seeing the same person?

I have to agree with this. His arms were in no way "wild" as Darcey pointed out. The rumba is all about posturing by the man so that criticism is way off too.
  • Options
    Claire-001Claire-001 Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find him dull, nice dancer but dull. I also get bored at women voting cause 1) they fancy him and 2) feel sorry for him missing out on gold. As I said in my other post, he has already won the show as he is easily winning the public vote each week so the final is a foregone conclusion. Poor dani and Kimberley, the final should be a lot closer but sadly the public have already made their choice.
  • Options
    missiemoomissiemoo Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has had a number of interviews away from Strictly recently and he has come across very well, recognising the importance of being a role model to other young people.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was great last week, but I didn't like this week's dance at all and was amazed it got 37. For me the Rumba was ruined by his arms being so wild and distracting, and the Tango was really messy and lacked any sort of acting whatsoever.

I love Flavia, and thought Louis would be a great partner for her when the line-up was first announced, but I don't feel any connection in their partnership at all :(

BIB I have to agree, I thought they would be dynamite on the dance floor when it was announced they would be partners but they have been more like a damp squib - I want to love Louis, I really, really do but something is lacking in his and I really cant put my finger on it

His charleston last week was brilliant and I thought Flavia had finally broken down whatever is was that I cant put my finger on but this week - back to "being Louis" for want of a better phrase
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    He doesn't wow me but he's in my top 2 with Dani.

I don't mind if he wins.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barley wrote: »
    only a straight man could think Louis doesn't have charisma.

I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous argument - ever heard of personal taste? I'm a straight woman and I don't think Louis is attractive or charismatic - I find his interviews really quite boring and awkward to watch, he seems to be completely detached and I don't see any true connection with Flavia - just compare them to Michael & Natalie, for instance, as they were a true partnership for me and I loved watching them as a result.

Just because you like Louis doesn't mean everyone has to, and doesn't mean those of us who don't are either blind or wrong :rolleyes:
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    I guess I must have a different criteria for strictly celebs than most people on here as none of those points would be enough for me to support him, I don't really think his looks or success prior to the show should be a justifiable reason for supporting him either

I agree with that, and it disappoints me slightly that I believe he'll win partly because of his success as an Olympian and his physical attractiveness (though he does nothing for me personally). Obviously his dancing will be a factor, and he's not the worst dancer, so that wouldn't be a disaster, but I don't believe he's had the biggest journey.
    olivej wrote: »
    BIB I have to agree, I thought they would be dynamite on the dance floor when it was announced they would be partners but they have been more like a damp squib - I want to love Louis, I really, really do but something is lacking in his and I really cant put my finger on it

Exactly, that sums up how I feel - haven't seen any performance sparks on the dancefloor at all, and the energy and vivacity that the likes of Kara and Alesha brought to the floor just isn't there.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is fabulous and I love how articulate and funny he is when being interviewed. He's my winner this year
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous argument - ever heard of personal taste? I'm a straight woman and I don't think Louis is attractive or charismatic - I find his interviews really quite boring and awkward to watch, he seems to be completely detached and I don't see any true connection with Flavia - just compare them to Michael & Natalie, for instance, as they were a true partnership for me and I loved watching them as a result.

Just because you like Louis doesn't mean everyone has to, and doesn't mean those of us who don't are either blind or wrong :rolleyes:

I agree with that, and it disappoints me slightly that I believe he'll win partly because of his success as an Olympian and his physical attractiveness (though he does nothing for me personally). Obviously his dancing will be a factor, and he's not the worst dancer, so that wouldn't be a disaster, but I don't believe he's had the biggest journey.

Exactly, that sums up how I feel - haven't seen any performance sparks on the dancefloor at all, and the energy and vivacity that the likes of Kara and Alesha brought to the floor just isn't there.

Interesting read....however to compare the performance of a male dancer with that of two females when the role of the man in many dances (Paso, Rumba being two obvious examples) is very different is stretching it a bit :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting read....however to compare the performance of a male dancer with that of two females when the role of the man in many dances (Paso, Rumba being two obvious examples) is very different is stretching it a bit :)

Not performance-wise it's not.

And if you want a male for comparison, then look to Mark Ramprakash, Gethin Jones, Matt Baker... :)
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not performance-wise it's not.

And if you want a male for comparison, then look to Mark Ramprakash, Gethin Jones, Matt Baker... :)

Gethin Jones? :D:D:D
    Matt Baker? :D:D:D

You may have a point with Mark :D
  • Options
    yenstonyenston Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with the OP. I don't get what everybody sees in him at all. I actually do dislike him though, as he can at times come across as arrogant to me, and I also find him very immature. Also his ignorance is quite annoying. Never heard of Fred Astaire? Really?!

I don't find him attractive at all. I'm not impressed by him being an Olympic gymnast. I don't think his dancing is all that impressive. He's quite good in some dances but he has zero personality when he dances and that blank face he pulls is just laughable now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gethin Jones? :D:D:D
    Matt Baker? :D:D:D

You may have a point with Mark :D

Well I thought Gethin and Matt had bags more charisma than Louis has ever shown, but it's only my opinion, no need to mock!
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's good-looking & he has a good body but that's neither here nor there.

He struggles massively with the performance element, & Flavia, one of my favourite pros, doesn't have Natalie's strength of will to bamboozle him into it - she's a gentle character.

Two quite gentle shy people together doesn't make for dance fireworks.

The Charleston week worked well, but I think he's happier goofing around as he did then & in the Halloween Zombie tango. The dance fusion had more acting than previous performances but it's too little too late.

He may well still win though on the basis that Denise & Kimberly are attractive, rich, successful women with dance experience; & I'm not sure Dani is quite good enough across the board.
  • Options
    *Venetia**Venetia* Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I "get" why people are supporting him, it is because he is a good looking young man. If he wasn't I don't think he would be as popular as he is.
    When I watch him I feel like he isn't enjoying it at all. He is my least favourite dancer on the show for that reason. Technically he is very good but dancing is about more than just technique.
  • Options
    Toasted ToadToasted Toad Posts: 3,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Louis has had the most difficult job of anyone this year. Of all sports, male gymnastics is the most introverted one. You only have to look at their completely emotion-free faces when they perform. They have spent a long time learning to block out the audience completely. Many other sportsmen use the crowd to lift them, or their team mates. Not gymnasts. And their performances are solitary. They don't even have an opponent. Victoria had much the same problem.

Now Louis is an a position where he has to be the opposite of all he has learned in his many professional years. He has never had to attempt to project to an audience, whether as actor, presenter or dancer. Some people can do it naturally, others learn it, but he has learned precisely the opposite.

For many dances, he looked completely unaware that Flavia was there. This is slowly improving. For the first time, this week, I felt he was dancing with Flavia. That was a major breakthrough, much more than his gurning Charleston last week. Technically, he's a bit iffy. His hands were splayed dreadfully some times last night, but he kept his body moving through the Rumba. Unlike some male celebs who move from pose to pose, standing still in those poses, Louis kept moving, whether through hips, arms or torso, even when the dance required his feet to be still.

I'm impressed by him, although he's clearly not the best dancer left. Were it another year where there were more dancers who brought personality to the floor he'd be a lot worse off. However, unfortunately most of the celebs this year are really quite boring on stage.
  • Options
    NooneNoone Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    Totally agree Toasted Toad, perfect post.:D

And I'd like to add that yes Louis is attractive but his attitude, the way he carries himself and his respectful and open personality, adds a great deal to why a lot of people like and admire him.
  • Options
    blindsideblindside Posts: 4,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yenston wrote: »
    I have to agree with the OP. I don't get what everybody sees in him at all. I actually do dislike him though, as he can at times come across as arrogant to me, and I also find him very immature. Also his ignorance is quite annoying. Never heard of Fred Astaire? Really?!

I don't find him attractive at all. I'm not impressed by him being an Olympic gymnast. I don't think his dancing is all that impressive. He's quite good in some dances but he has zero personality when he dances and that blank face he pulls is just laughable now.

But apart from all that, he's okay, isn't he? :D
  • Options
    EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree. he's not as good as people make him out to be.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    I like him without loving him. I'm sure there are plenty of us about.

He isn't attractive to me (arms too long and horrid hair, silly facial fungus) but he seems inoffensive enough. His movement is superlative. Trunk and legs anyway. Head position usually good.

But I don't mind if people love him. For whatever reason. That doesn't threaten me. It's the Lisa-love that makes my eyes boggle!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobajot wrote: »
    Racing drivers have it in their cars He has it either naturally or developed by years of training. Russian acrobats show a very suimilar awareness of everything round them that's how they manage complex and dangerous routines.
    Actually racing drivers don't. Footballers do. Michael Schumacher loves playing football but he always said he didn't have the spacial awareness required to be a really good footballer, so he became the greatest racing driver instead lol :p

I do think people go overboard about Louis's technical capabilities. Because it's the strongest part of his dancing does not mean he is perfect in that regard. His rumba/tango last night was the perfect example.