Options

Utopia, C4&HD, 10pm, 15-22-29 Jan 5-12 Feb

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Whilst I don't think Milner's 'son' was her son... that last episode actually more or less convinced me that she's Jessica and Arby's mother... or, at least Jessica's.

I need a second series just for Arby, Jessica and Milner alone... help...
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Hello:)

Arby is dead because Grant is Arby now.

The clue is in the breathing.

Well I did miss-hear them saying Assistant's name and couldn't tell if it was "latent". For about 5 seconds as Grant despatched Assistant I thought "latent Rabbit? No, not Grant!" :confused: But nah, Arby's either dead in the fire or at a loose end wondering what to do next in his career. A vacancy has just opened up for a Rabbit Killer, he should apply..;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kaisha wrote: »
    Whilst I don't think Milner's 'son' was her son... that last episode actually more or less convinced me that she's Jessica and Arby's mother... or, at least Jessica's.

I need a second series just for Arby, Jessica and Milner alone... help...

OK if we don't get Series Two I'll write a fan fiction version of it for you :)
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    OK if we don't get Series Two I'll write a fan fiction version of it for you :)

Do you know when Channel 4 will make an announcement regarding Utopia's future? Hopefully, we'll get confirmation of a second series soon. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T.K. a real-life Frankenstein with guns is perfect :)

Arby and Lee made one cool double act - the freakish hitman and the quirky torturer. Very cinematic and interesting in their own rights.
    It's funny, Lee only appeared in ONE episode and a lot of posters are calling him their favourite character. Even one of my friends kept asking me if Lee was alive, because he was disappointed that he was dead :D. Just shows what a great job the actor and the writers did with Lee.
  • Options
    pingu01pingu01 Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    For anyone who hasn't seen the film Kill List I'd definitely recommend a viewing..it has Neil Maskell (Arby) and Michael Smiley (the copper that Arby stabbed in the throat early on) as a couple of hitmen in a really good movie. Down Terrace by the same director is also worth seeing. Haven't caught his latest, Sightseers, yet.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pingu01 wrote: »
    For anyone who hasn't seen the film Kill List I'd definitely recommend a viewing..it has Neil Maskell (Arby) and Michael Smiley (the copper that Arby stabbed in the throat early on) as a couple of hitmen in a really good movie. Down Terrace by the same director is also worth seeing. Haven't caught his latest, Sightseers, yet.

You thought it was good?

You'll have to explain to me what the hell any of the last half an hour was about if you get a chance.

I'd advise anyone who enjoyed Utopia to steer well clear of Kill List........For the record, it's not Neil Maskell's fault, his performance is fine. It's whoever decided to leave the second half of the story on the cutting room floor.
  • Options
    pingu01pingu01 Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    JonDoe wrote: »
    You thought it was good?

You'll have to explain to me what the hell any of the last half an hour was about if you get a chance.

I'd advise anyone who enjoyed Utopia to steer well clear of Kill List........For the record, it's not Neil Maskell's fault, his performance is fine. It's whoever decided to leave the second half of the story on the cutting room floor.

I loved it.
  • Options
    roland82roland82 Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I loved this program too. The camera work and filters added so much. I was a bit worried at the end of episode 5 when I saw the dvd box with 'series 1' on the front. It started to make me think we would get a cliffhanger ending.

Thankfully I thought it ended just right. Mostly answers, a bit of action, surprises and a few questions to keep you interested if it does come back.

The thought of Mr rabbit made me think of 'the Rainman' from Looper.

Also apologies if it has been brought in the thread already but the central theme of 'mass sterilisation to save the human race' was quite interesting, there were times when I was thinking ' the network do kinda have a point'.
  • Options
    AlabasterCodifyAlabasterCodify Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Its a sign of a great program that I'll genuinely miss seeing some of the characters from this on my telly in the coming weeks; not often I've felt that way in recent years.

More than enough threads to carry on for a second series of course, and though it'd be hard I'd be happy to wait a fair while before it hits our screens as long as it is done as well as the first series.

I had Arby and Jessica down as brother and sister, and suspected that Anya was never pregnant in the first place from fairly early on in the series - but to see how that and the rest of the plot panned out was fascinating. Great stuff, and the reason I joined this forum too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course there will be a second series, but will it be as good?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Of course there will be a second series, but will it be as good?

I hope you're right, but we shouldn't get our hopes up. It's not definite. I'm grown accustomed to my favourite shows being cancelled out of the blue :o.

Hard to know if Series 2 will be as good. As I said before, Series 2 could end up being a retread of Series 1 with the gang attempting to stop the Network releasing Janus all over again. Let's hope the writers have a few new things up their sleeve to set it apart from Series 1.
    Personally, I would've preferred if the Network succeeded in their scheme and Series 2 could've picked up a few years after the mass sterilization of the human population in a Children of Men type scenario. But oh well :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pingu01 wrote: »

Great to see "tyres" getting lots of work these days! He seems to get a grizzly death (or is he? as far as Black Mirror went) moments. But at least he isn't dancing to the kettle :)

I do need to see more from Neil Maskell, thanks for the tip off.
  • Options
    vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janus is the two-faced god.

I predict that although they have Jessica and her blood, they will need blood from Arby to complete the enzyme code.

So the second series will concentrate on the hunt for Arby - and he's an even more brutal killer than his sister.
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vrooom wrote: »
    they will need blood from Arby to complete the enzyme code.

So the second series will concentrate on the hunt for Arby - and he's an even more brutal killer than his sister.

He was only a killer because he was asked to do what he did, as for searching for him, they had him already, they probably already have a sample from him.

Did Stephen Rea's death bother anyone else as we didn't see it, nor was it mentioned at all in any aspect afterwards, I mean we saw Jessica throttle the Tramp to death, why didn't we see this scene if we're supposed to take it he died?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I haven't posted for a while but I thought Utopia was bloody brilliant!!

The best thing on TV in a long long time.

I had kinda hoped Utopia would be a one series wonder but now I'm not so sure
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I also really liked Lee's character (thought he looked uncannily like Charlie Creed Miles). I deffo didn't think that Arby played second fiddle to him though.Lee was the gentleman to Arby's thug.

The soundtrack was ****ing amazing. I knew they'd save the best bit of the title track for the end of the last episode and it totally went off (I also heard the Arby thread about the gas-mask!) The music really reminds me of the soundtrack to the film 'Snowtown'. This is an amazing film if anyone has seen, and the score was written specifically for it, as was the score for Utopia. The music is so utterly perfect and fits and enriches the visuals on such a subliminal level that you wouldn't even realise that what you are seeing would have half the impact if the music wasn't there. It's very clever.

As for the film 'Kill List', I agree that the last half hour I sat there going "wtf??" most of the time, but it was still a superb film. Ben Wheatley is a very good director,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Most of my great bits have been mentioned but a few others:

* The sex scene between Ian and Becky in the first episode and he eventually says "umm, my penis isn't working."

* The bit in the car with Grant and Jessica and they're listening to Yellow - Coldplay and Grant say's "You like some shit music." and Jessica looks genuinely interested/perplexed for the first time and says "Is this shit?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    I think I may have been slightly over-doing it...there's gonna be a Utopia shaped hole in my life from now on!

:) I'm just baffled that their main plot point was stolen, hook, line and sinker from The Usual Suspects ( a film made about 20 years ago) and some people claim that as 'genius' - where's the 'genius' in stealing somebody else's great idea? There was to me, I'm sorry to say, just too many loose ends, too many continuity errors, and too much style over substance for this to be anything more than art house students having a play at making a TV series.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How the hell would they have missed Milner in the photos? That took too much of a liberty just for the sake of a twist.

Overall I liked the series a lot, but could take or leave another one.
  • Options
    wrighty694wrighty694 Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Matt_66 wrote: »
    I haven't posted for a while but I thought Utopia was bloody brilliant!!

The best thing on TV in a long long time.

I had kinda hoped Utopia would be a one series wonder but now I'm not so sure

totally agree with the above!!......apart from the 2nd series bit.....i'm firmly of a mind that sometimes series of this magnitude and craft is better left as it was written and not extended due to success.

Always better to hear 'why didn't you make more?' rather than 'why did you make more?' in my humble opinion ;)

still stunning though :)
  • Options
    Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a brilliant show this was! I saw the billboard posters but never saw any trailers or read about it so I didn't know what to expect.I found some of the scenes in the early shows a bit hard to take and had to fast forward the torture and defenestration scenes.But every twist and turn and every sinister character were absolutely compelling,right til the very last scene.I was literally open mouthed when the final plan was revealed...sterilisation! And quite honestly,like Wilson,I would not know what to do in the situation.It really is a genuinely thought provoking scenario and I think that the world would be a better place with several billion people less.But that could be another thread on its own in the General discussion forum.

For the show itself though,just brilliant.Great mix of characters,both good and evil.I just loved Wilson Wilson's conspiracy theories and even read about the 'tsunami bomb'.Eye opening stuff indeed (no pun intended!).His was the most complex character,changing from reluctant anti-hero at the start into a potentially ultimate villain by the end.Jessica was one toughest female characters you could get,but she ended up being the big bad lady boss's bitch! Just great turnarounds,and so unexpected.I'm not usually a fan of younger characters and it took a while to warm to Grant,but he turned out to be very good with a really soft side.Which made it all the more shocking when he had to cut the guys throat.I always like Alice though,especially when she took an instant dislike to Grant and called him a ****.Absolutely hilarious! There doesn't seem to be much scope for an immediate sequel,but you could use the Grant and Alice characters somewhere down the line for a spin off of sorts.

Ian went from being a geek to a foul mouthed pistol packin' dude,and I always wanted to see Becky and Jessica have a fight.I'm sure she could give as good as she gets.I would like to be the referee for that one! I absolutely loved when would swear in that lovely Welsh accent,she made even the rudest words sound almost poetic! It's a shame she went out with a bit of a whimper,but then I'm more glad that she didn't throw herself in front of a train,which I was worried might happen.

Just an unbelievably gripping show from start to finish.Even at this early stage,I would be amazed if there is a better show than this at any time this year.
  • Options
    daddy66daddy66 Posts: 12,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vrooom wrote: »
    Janus is the two-faced god.

I predict that although they have Jessica and her blood, they will need blood from Arby to complete the enzyme code.

Like that!
  • Options
    3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    One thing I haven't spotted mentioned...Letan is obviously a codename. I thought about using rot-13 on it (where each letter is rotated 13 ahead in the alphabet) and I get YRGNA which spells "angry". I've no idea of the relevance if any.

Midway through the last episode, it suddenly struck me that Mr Rabbit could easily be a woman but I hadn't guessed Milner might have been it.

Far too many twists and turns to guess at, but at least Duggan did something right for a change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corabal wrote: »
    He was only a killer because he was asked to do what he did, as for searching for him, they had him already, they probably already have a sample from him.

Did Stephen Rea's death bother anyone else as we didn't see it, nor was it mentioned at all in any aspect afterwards, I mean we saw Jessica throttle the Tramp to death, why didn't we see this scene if we're supposed to take it he died?

Convenience-deliberately amibuous so they can bring him back for Series 2 if they decide he has a role to play & Rea wants to be in it. You don't get rid of an actor that good if you can help it! Although we are meant to assume he's dead-which he may well be.