Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    It's been worth it to read some of the epic moaning. From severe headaches, to being "blinded" to others assaulting FMs with the use of bold. Very funny thread.
    I've just said as much on the 'I like the changes' thread or whatever it's called. They seem to think we're seriously having breakdowns here, when it's all been one great laugh to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been worth it to read some of the epic moaning. From severe headaches, to being "blinded" to others assaulting FMs with the use of bold. Very funny thread.

An air ambulance arrived earlier and took someone away. Suspected stroke. :cry:
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Why is it so horribly narrow? Surely it should stretch to the width of your browser?

Don't think I've ever seen a forum design with so much empty space.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pauljaw wrote: »
    It lacks the personality that the other old site had..... it is horrible.

Oh and as you can see thegrey text is not clear unless it is black

Seems to be the way the world is going. Everything now has to look so clean and cold and minimalist. There's no place for character, personality or emotion.

Personally I think this has got to be the closest feeling I've come to since watching my local corner pub being turned into a trendy open plan wine bar.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    What the hell is that? My eyes were already suffering but that is something else!

That was my first thought upon seeing it as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it so horribly narrow?

Flip your Samsung Galaxy to landscape. :p
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    A few years ago everybody I knew was on Facebook. Now when I talk to people it seems more and more people have given up on it.

Yes, popular websites can lose their popularity, isn't that what happened to MySpace? In fact isn't this what the redesign is meant to be about? If there was no possibility of a site losing popularity because of its design, there wouldn't be any point in any site updating ever.
  • Options
    TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The white needs to go genuinely painful on the eyes. Also the font is too faint which just makes it even harder to read. Oh, and they still have that silly full stop at the at end of the logo! Proof as if we needed it that amateurs are at work.

Threads from top to bottom are nowhere near as busy as usual. Trust me they leave in droves when a messy change happens.
  • Options
    Ian KaneIan Kane Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've sucked the colour out, made it rediculously hard to read for any amount of time, ruined the format on several browsers and devices & cut corners by keeping the old buttons. It's terrible. A school kid could have done better than this **** up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Why is it so horribly narrow? Surely it should stretch to the width of your browser?

That's my biggest bugbear to be honest.

I have a feeling it is for future use, in terms of advertising. :(
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the disgusting grey, when you look on who's posted it looks like this....
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=1916417

How completely stupid does that look?
    Ouch!! I had to shut that down straightaway.
    Are they just having a laugh? That 'who's posted' display shouldn't have got past any user acceptance testing.

Edited : Freudian typo
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just said as much on the 'I like the changes' thread or whatever it's called.

Ah - so THAT's where the mods have been hanging out all day!

*green grinny smiley*
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight I can see the toolbar of forums along the top, so that helps. But the colour is awful and makes it very difficult to read even with my specs on
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't DS give us the choice of the old and new versions of the forum?
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as they haven't bothered to post the announcement in here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/announcement.php?f=22&a=391
    Since the launch of the new-look Digital Spy on December 2, we've been working through a prioritised list of issues.

A list of all fixes made can be found here.

More work on the forums will follow as a priority, independently of the other tasks.

We appreciate your patience. A further update on progress will be published within around 24 hours.

> Digital Spy: Fix release notes

I assume no one from their team wants to spend five minutes commenting in this thread.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

It's ridiculously narrow! 30% of the width of my screen is an empty wilderness!
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An air ambulance arrived earlier and took someone away. Suspected stroke. :cry:

I'm dying.
  • Options
    guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I detest the 'like' button and how much it's killed discussion on the internet. If DS adds one then I really will just give up.

Great, now you've said you don't want it, guaranteed they'll add it.
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my god, its got even worse today! where is the first new post feature? I used that feature ALL the time

BRING IT BACK! :mad:
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    The new design is awesome.... said no one ever

You got me for a second there.
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Spratt wrote: »
    Yes, popular websites can lose their popularity, isn't that what happened to MySpace? In fact isn't this what the redesign is meant to be about? If there was no possibility of a site losing popularity because of its design, there wouldn't be any point in any site updating ever.

I'm actually all for change, if I feel it's been properly instituted and gives people what they want or need. You can however have too much change.

Wouldn't have hurt at all to have the grey be pastel-blue, for instance, giving it a lively feel.

To make change successful you need to attract new people and retain your existing audience. I think the changes have alienated a lot of us oldies, who've stuck with the site for many years.

I'm not saying I'm going to give up, but at the moment I just don't have the inclination to partake in any discussions outside of the feedback threads. My DS experience was very much centred around the easy to read threads and 'life' in things like the old smilies. At the moment everything just feels so colourless and dull.

Thing is, as I mentioned before, it can be fixed: and I can tolerate some things like the new bar at the top, the new font is nice, and the icons are OK. I just think they didn't have to throw the baby out with the bath water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm dying.

You might win. A further announcement will be made tomorrow. :cool:
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's amazing how blinded YOU are. So many people expressing genuine pain (headaches, eye strain) is not moaning. I also can't see what's funny about it.
  • Options
    RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrific, sorry. The old forum was perfect, literally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much better than 24 hours ago.
This discussion has been closed.