Options

Sorting/re-ordering Freeview Channels.

My new Sony Bravia KDL 42"653A has the facility of sorting/re-ordering the scanned in Freeview Channels. What does this mean really? If I move, for example, BBC HD101 to above BBC1 SD does it take on a different number or depose anything in that slot?
In my usual cautious nature I am loathe to do things like this although it would be convenient to have these HD channels grouped higher up the Freeview list, for convenience. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With my telly (LG 42LN575) if you "move" a channel to an occupied channel number it simply swaps the numbers round.

For example I set my TV up so the HD channels are on numbers 1 to 4. So I went to number 101 the original number for BBC 1 HD selected 'Move" and selected channel number 1 as the destination. BBC 1 HD moved to number 1 and BBC 1 SD automatically became 101. And so on for the others.

I would imagine the Sony is the same.

You won't do any real damage by doing this by the way. All you need do if it makes a real pigs ear of it is to zap all the channels and rescan to get the default order back.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    With my telly (LG 42LN575) if you "move" a channel to an occupied channel number it simply swaps the numbers round.

For example I set my TV up so the HD channels are on numbers 1 to 4. So I went to number 101 the original number for BBC 1 HD selected 'Move" and selected channel number 1 as the destination. BBC 1 HD moved to number 1 and BBC 1 SD automatically became 101. And so on for the others.

I would imagine the Sony is the same.

You won't do any real damage by doing this by the way. All you need do if it makes a real pigs ear of it is to zap all the channels and rescan to get the default order back.

Hmmm, you've probably convinced me to leave well alone. Along with a brand new TV if I did this my partner would be even more confused than I would be and life wouldn't be worth living.:D
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Hmmm, you've probably convinced me to leave well alone. Along with a brand new TV if I did this my partner would be even more confused than I would be and life wouldn't be worth living.:D
    Not really that confusing. After all most people who haven't got satellite probably automatically press 1 for BBC 1 and 2 for BBC 2 etc. So instead of the SD versions of those channels that I would otherwise get I get the HD versions.

Though admittedly it is (momentarily) confusing when I fire up the Humax to record and have to remember that BBC 1 HD is 101 on that! And seeing the banner on BBC1 HD during the local news telling me to retune to Freeview channel 1 to get the local news, err already on channel 1:confused::confused::confused::D
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Not really that confusing. After all most people who haven't got satellite probably automatically press 1 for BBC 1 and 2 for BBC 2 etc. So instead of the SD versions of those channels that I would otherwise get I get the HD versions.

Though admittedly it is (momentarily) confusing when I fire up the Humax to record and have to remember that BBC 1 HD is 101 on that! And seeing the banner on BBC1 HD during the local news telling me to retune to Freeview channel 1 to get the local news, err already on channel 1:confused::confused::confused::D

That's the trouble, as when viewing BBC101 HD,local news isn't shown and you have to revert to BBC1.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    You can set up a favourites channel list instead of reordering.