Independent Scotland might be prevented from entering the Eurovision Song Contest!

MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
Forum Member
Another comical 'scare' story - although I am not sure if this might give more votes to the yes campaign.

It relates to the admission process for the European Broadcasting Union which runs the song contest and this not being automatic. Apparently Spain might bloc entry!:D

Even more worrying what's left of the UK might lose its automatic place in the final which goes to the Big 5 countries who provide most of the funding(UK, Spain, France, Germany and Italy).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2565259/The-latest-threat-Scottish-independence-Eurovision-Scotland-warned-not-guaranteed-place-replaces-BBC-broadcaster.html

Comments

• TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    not exactly the end of the world is it :kitty:
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Another comical 'scare' story - although I am not sure if this might give more votes to the yes campaign.

It relates to the admission process for the European Broadcasting Union which runs the song contest and this not being automatic. Apparently Spain might bloc entry!:D

Even more worrying what's left of the UK might lose its automatic place in the final which goes to the Big 5 countries who provide most of the funding(UK, Spain, France, Germany and Italy).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2565259/The-latest-threat-Scottish-independence-Eurovision-Scotland-warned-not-guaranteed-place-replaces-BBC-broadcaster.html

The scare stories are going to get sillier and sillier before the referendum.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Salmond's share of the vote just went up a few points ;):D
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocking news.

Just as Pat Kane was already to revive "Labour of Love" as the Scottish entry next year. Maybe he can form a Proclaimers tribute band instead.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »

And increasingly desperate - like Darling's latest disgusting threat that Scottish voluntary organisations won't get lottery funding in an independent Scotland and charities will suffer.

Mr. Darling, the Union might work very well for you and your Westminster buddies - but that doesn't mean it works for the rest of us. Hell, you were at the heart of the party which has helped the downward slide of the UK!
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    well that does it.

scotland, **** off. :)
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great, the fUK will be able to buy in the contest without having to worry about how badly the British entry does
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Well that will make a few undecided voters think twice, no international clout and definitely no place on the European stage :cry:
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

That's almost worth voting yes for itself.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    And increasingly desperate - like Darling's latest disgusting threat that Scottish voluntary organisations won't get lottery funding in an independent Scotland and charities will suffer.

Mr. Darling, the Union might work very well for you and your Westminster buddies - but that doesn't mean it works for the rest of us. Hell, you were at the heart of the party which has helped the downward slide of the UK!

Scotland won't benefit from the National Lottery as it is now. Of course, I suspect that there will be a Scottish lottery which would need an act of the Scottish parliament to set it up, but darling is not entirely incorrectly by stating what he did. You can't share the UK's National Lottery if you are not part of the UK!
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When was the last time a UK entry came from Scotland anyway? Or Wales, or NI for that matter?
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    When was the last time a UK entry came from Scotland anyway? Or Wales, or NI for that matter?

There's been at least 3 Welsh singers since 2002.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Shocking news.

Just as Pat Kane was already to revive "Labour of Love" as the Scottish entry next year. Maybe he can form a Proclaimers tribute band instead.

The Proclaimers are awful.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrifying news. Or should that be terrific...? :D
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    STV is in the EBU. What would prevent it from organising an entry from Scotland?
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airam wrote: »
    STV is in the EBU. What would prevent it from organising an entry from Scotland?

Would STV remain as it is now though? Isn't it part of ITV which means as such it is ITV that is part of the EBU. But technically, I guess your're right. There is no reason why STV can't organise an entry considering every EBU has the right to participate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    There's been at least 3 Welsh singers since 2002.

Of course, I should have known that myself, I'd forgotten that Bonnie Tyler is Welsh.

What about Scottish entrants though?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not that massive a loss to us
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    "Victorious: Lulu singing in the Eurovision contest 1969. She won with song Bomm Bang-a-Bang"

Bomm Bang-a-Bang? I thougt it was Boom Bang-a-Bang?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Salmond has started trial broadcasts of his proposed BBC replacement already:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm9I4hbyY6M
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *cough*

2013's entrant Bonnie Tyler

*cough*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    *cough*

2013's entrant Bonnie Tyler

*cough*

Its as well to read the whole thread before posting. :p
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its as well to read the whole thread before posting. :p
    Fair enough. My bad. I'm quite surprised at the lack of Scots in the list. Nothing since Scott Fitzgerald in 1988 :o
  • mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »

The SNP should promise not to allow Scotland to enter the Eurovision song contest, and bar tv from showing it. That'd win a few more votes for the Yes campaign!
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Airam wrote: »

It wouldn't be one of the major paying members anyway - so would need to arrange to enter, but then would need to get through the qualifying round. As Scotland has no slavic, northern, orthodox, or mediterranean group of states to vote for it and even the English wouldn't necessarily be enthusiastic for it, Scotland would probably neevr get into the main competition.