Options

Flight/Travel help [Uk-Amsterdam-Paris-UK]

embyemby Posts: 7,837
Forum Member
Myself and my partner are planning a trip to Amsterdam for some time later in the year [we're thinking June onwards]. We want to head to Amsterdam from the UK and stay for around 2/3 nights, then from Amsterdam head to Paris, again for 2/3 nights and then return to the UK.

Has anyone done a similar journey? I'm just looking for advice on finding the cheapest options, and whether flights would be the best bet, or some other method of transport? Also would you recommend doing the journey in reverse, travelling to Paris first and then onwards to Amsterdam?

Any advice would be great. :)

Comments

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending where you are based you could go via train from London.

London to Amsterdam on Eurostar via Brussels

Paris to London on Eurostar.

Flying option, KLM/Air France are partner airlines, so you should be able to get an open jaw ticket, flying into one airport & out of another.

Or there would be the low cost airlines as well.

Personally if it was me, on your trip between Amsterdam & Paris I would take the train, city centre to city centre, no messing about with airports etc, takes about 3 hours, prices from about £70.00 per person one way.

In fact for the whole trip I would do it by train, it might take a little longer (not much when you factor in airport check-in, and getting into the city centres) and possibly maybe more expensive as well, but at least it cuts out the airports.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KLM have flights from various UK regional airports to Schiphol (Amsterdam). We've often used the Norwich - Schiphol route as the first leg before the flight to the USA. So it might be worth checking if there's anything from a regional airport near you.

Sorry, I can't help regarding Schiphol - Paris or Paris - UK.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By train from Paris to Amsterdam is a mere 3 hours and runs every two hours. Cost 35 euros if you buy in advance. If the French trains are anything to go by its very comfortable and reliable.

http://www.amsterdam.info/travel/paris-to-amsterdam/
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    As the OP is in Sheffield, it's not far to Leeds/Bradford which have cheap flights to Schiphol, my daughter always flew out from there.

As suggested, train to Paris would be a reasonable solution from Amsterdam.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the OP is in Sheffield, it's not far to Leeds/Bradford which have cheap flights to Schiphol, my daughter always flew out from there.

I was going to suggest an old-fashioned option, taking the overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam (a return trip is easiest, so need to get back from Paris). It's not cheap anymore though! (typical fare £268 return for two, and that's just as foot passengers. But only £30 extra to take a car as well.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. :)

I think a combination of flights to Amsterdam and then the train to Paris might be the way we go.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. :)

I think a combination of flights to Amsterdam and then the train to Paris might be the way we go.

Should say that its a really scenic trip between Paris and Amsterdam even though it flashes by at 160mph, lol
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW I found a video on YouTube of the train journey from Amsterdam to Paris:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3UqV_G_Pzo

and by road:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vZQQO5mexo
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Should say that its a really scenic trip between Paris and Amsterdam even though it flashes by at 160mph, lol

Really? That wouldn't be the first route that comes to mind when thinking about scenic train journeys! Something to do with the flat, bland landscape. Although the novelty of being on the continent would lift it a little above the ordinary for us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »

Haha, i'll be sure not to blink ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    FWIW I found a video on YouTube of the train journey from Amsterdam to Paris:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3UqV_G_Pzo

and by road:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vZQQO5mexo

That's brilliant, cheers John.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way I'd fly from Amsterdam to Paris. By time you had got to the airport and got through to security you'd be halfway to Paris on the train.