Columbo: There's Just One More Thing...

Comments

• Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    http://t.co/XYs371PiJn

Mark Ruffalo has said that he wants to play Columbo.

The Avengers actor became engaged in a conversation on Twitter about how he would like to bring Peter Falk's television detective to the big screen.

I hope this does not happen >:( Peter was Columbo and no one can better the character .

Ruffalo looks a little like Peter Falk, I wonder if he would play the part as an impersonation of Falk or would this be another 'reboot'?

I wouldn't be completely against it. The format would still work.

My favourite episode is the Donald Pleasance one 'Any Old Port in a Storm' (on ITV as I write) but there are so many good ones.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Ruffalo looks a little like Peter Falk, I wonder if he would play the part as an impersonation of Falk or would this be another 'reboot'?

I wouldn't be completely against it. The format would still work.

My favourite episode is the Donald Pleasance one 'Any Old Port in a Storm' (on ITV as I write) but there are so many good ones.

He does look like Columbo but he is not Columbo >:( :blush:

I am not one for remakes and God help anyone who remakes The Great Escape!

Yes I watched that one and is one of my favourites. Also The Conspirators was on at the weekend but that is the only episode I do not like. I cannot even explain why.
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    First of all, if they were making a new Columbo, Mark Ruffalo would be an excellent candidate. Anyone playing Columbo would have to be a genuinely nice person and Ruffalo fills that bill, he is a lovely man with bags of charm. Also I think it is a noble aspiration for any actor to want to play Columbo.

However, I just have too much respect for Falk to want there to be any kind of "reboot". Falk was Columbo, and as nice as Ruffalo is—replacing Falk would feel like an insult. If he didn't impersonate Falk, it would seem lacking; but if he impersonated Falk, it would seem offensive. So you can't win.

I also don't think it would be dangerous to turn Columbo into a feature film. The very idea of making "a film" smacks of a gimmicky money-making exercise. The original show was an intimate psychological drama, perfectly suited to the small screen. These days, everything that goes on the big screen has to be "epic" and "action-packed" and dumbed-down to appeal to 12-year-olds who like explosions. What fans want (if anything) is more episodes, we do not want "the movie".

Here is what I would be in favour of: a brand new TV series that is not called "Columbo" but feature's Lt Columbo's son (also called Columbo). So Falk's character was his father, and Falk's character is referenced in the show as a legendary officer who taught him everything he knew. Then you might be talking. Maybe "Lt Columbo" could be Ruffalo's official title, but, not feeling worthy to be called that, perhaps he always introduces himself to the bad guys by his first name (eg "please, call me Buddy"), seeking to establish a "relationship" with the bad guys. Perhaps the show itself could even be called something like "Call me Buddy". Just throwing a random ideas out here but I do feel that something along those lines could work, something that doesn't seek to tread on the toes of Falk and shows reverence for the original series in everything it does.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://t.co/XYs371PiJn

Mark Ruffalo has said that he wants to play Columbo.

The Avengers actor became engaged in a conversation on Twitter about how he would like to bring Peter Falk's television detective to the big screen.

I hope this does not happen >:( Peter was Columbo and no one can better the character .

Well Peter Falk was the third actor to play Columbo. I'd love to see the original Bert Freed version which I believe does exist somewhere. From what I've read Peter Falk did take quite a lot of the characters mannerisms (cigars, asking one more question an so on) from that performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First of all, if they were making a new Columbo, Mark Ruffalo would be an excellent candidate. Anyone playing Columbo would have to be a genuinely nice person and Ruffalo fills that bill, he is a lovely man with bags of charm. Also I think it is a noble aspiration for any actor to want to play Columbo.

However, I just have too much respect for Falk to want there to be any kind of "reboot". Falk was Columbo, and as nice as Ruffalo is—replacing Falk would feel like an insult. If he didn't impersonate Falk, it would seem lacking; but if he impersonated Falk, it would seem offensive. So you can't win.

I also don't think it would be dangerous to turn Columbo into a feature film. The very idea of making "a film" smacks of a gimmicky money-making exercise. The original show was an intimate psychological drama, perfectly suited to the small screen. These days, everything that goes on the big screen has to be "epic" and "action-packed" and dumbed-down to appeal to 12-year-olds who like explosions. What fans want (if anything) is more episodes, we do not want "the movie".

Here is what I would be in favour of: a brand new TV series that is not called "Columbo" but feature's Lt Columbo's son (also called Columbo). So Falk's character was his father, and Falk's character is referenced in the show as a legendary officer who taught him everything he knew. Then you might be talking. Maybe "Lt Columbo" could be Ruffalo's official title, but, not feeling worthy to be called that, perhaps he always introduces himself to the bad guys by his first name (eg "please, call me Buddy"), seeking to establish a "relationship" with the bad guys. Perhaps the show itself could even be called something like "Call me Buddy". Just throwing a random ideas out here but I do feel that something along those lines could work, something that doesn't seek to tread on the toes of Falk and shows reverence for the original series in everything it does.

Well said. This is my point. I will not be Columbo as we know and love him.

As for Columbo's son ... he didn't have any children, well 99% of the episodes he didn't. That is one of the thing's I loved was that the continuity was all over the place :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    Well Peter Falk was the third actor to play Columbo. I'd love to see the original Bert Freed version which I believe does exist somewhere. From what I've read Peter Falk did take quite a lot of the characters mannerisms (cigars, asking one more question an so on) from that performance.

No I have not seen that either and would be nice to. Peter played Columbo for many years so he is Columbo to me.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have 5USA you can watch

Death Lends A Hand from 1971 which was Robert Culp's first appearance on Columbo

Starts at 5.05pm this afternoon or 6:05 on 5 USA+1
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris O'Dowd could be a good Columbo.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    one of my favourites just started
  • Options
    Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    Well said. This is my point. I will not be Columbo as we know and love him.

As for Columbo's son ... he didn't have any children, well 99% of the episodes he didn't. That is one of the thing's I loved was that the continuity was all over the place :blush:

He could be a nephew. Although now I think about it, I know Mrs Columbo had a sister but that would not give his nephew the same surname. Did Columbo have a brother? I can't remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the extremely unlikely event of them making new episodes how about Saul Rubinek as Columbo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Rubinek
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Next weekend's episodes

Saturday

ITV 11:35 No Time To Die (1992)

5 USA 5:20 Dead Weight (1971) Eddie Albert
    7:00 Dagger Of The Mind (1972) Richard Basehart and Honor Blackman

Sunday

ITV2 12:00am The Bye Bye Sky High IQ Case (1977) Theodore Bikel
    ITV3 6pm Now You See Him (1976) Jack Cassidy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saturday

ITV 11:30am Murder With Too Many Notes (2001)

5USA 5:55pm The Greenhouse Jungle (1972)
    7:25pm Requiem for a Falling Star (1972)

Sunday

ITV3 3:55pm Last Salute To The Commodore (1976)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I recorded Ransom For A Dead Man from Channel 5 the other day.

I think that is the first movie of the series - or the pilot of the series after the initial outing in Prescription: Murder
    I watched this the other night. It was one of the few, possibly the only one, that i'd not seen before.

It had all the traits of Columbo. Maybe not acting as confused or dishevelled as in later episodes.
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy watching Columbo when I can catch it on a weekend. :) Watched 'Lady in Waiting' this afternoon on ITV 3.

Would be great to watch these episodes without the ruddy ad breaks every 15 minutes so I really ought to invest in the £50.00 DVD box set from Amazon. Or ask for it as a Christmas present. :D
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some more episodes coming our way (up to & incl. Fri. 17th Oct):-

SAT. 11TH:-

? - ITV3 1.15-2.50pm (+1 2.15-3.50pm).

ASHES TO ASHES - 5USA 5.00-6.55pm.

DEAD WEIGHT - 5USA 6.55-8.25pm.

BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER - 5USA 8.25-10.00pm.

SUN. 12TH:-

A STITCH IN CRIME - ITV3 1.25-3.05pm (+1 2.25-4.05pm).

MON. 13TH:-

DEAD WEIGHT - 5USA 12.40-2.20pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ProgRocker wrote: »
    I enjoy watching Columbo when I can catch it on a weekend. :) Watched 'Lady in Waiting' this afternoon on ITV 3.

Would be great to watch these episodes without the ruddy ad breaks every 15 minutes so I really ought to invest in the £50.00 DVD box set from Amazon. Or ask for it as a Christmas present. :D

I spent a good few years hinting for the boxset, eventually I gave up and bought it myself.

Despite having every episode I still watch it every time its on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    I spent a good few years hinting for the boxset, eventually I gave up and bought it myself.

Despite having every episode I still watch it every time its on TV.

I've seen every episode at least once, some several times - sometimes takes a couple of viewings to fully appreciate how the criminal/murderer planned his/her killing (s), and also to digest how Columbo solved the crime (although often the explanation was very straightforward/simple).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More COLUMBO episodes forthcoming (up to & Incl. FRI. 24th):-

SAT. 18TH:-

A STITCH IN CRIME - ITV3 10.55am-12.25pm.

FORGOTTEN LADY - ITV 1.30-3.35pm (+1 2.30-4.35pm).

BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER - 5USA 3.50-5.25pm.

HOW TO DIAL MURDER - 5USA 5.25-7.00pm.

DAGGER OF THE MIND - 5USA 7.00-9.00pm.

SUN. 19TH:-

ETUDE IN BLACK - ITV3 4.55-7.00pm.

MON. 20TH:-

HOW TO DIAL MURDER - 5USA 1.00-2.30pm.
  • Options
    Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    More COLUMBO episodes forthcoming (up to & Incl. FRI. 24th):-

SAT. 18TH:-

A STITCH IN CRIME - ITV3 10.55am-12.25pm.

FORGOTTEN LADY - ITV 1.30-3.35pm (+1 2.30-4.35pm).

BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER - 5USA 3.50-5.25pm.

HOW TO DIAL MURDER - 5USA 5.25-7.00pm.

DAGGER OF THE MIND - 5USA 7.00-9.00pm.

SUN. 19TH:-

ETUDE IN BLACK - ITV3 4.55-7.00pm.

MON. 20TH:-

HOW TO DIAL MURDER - 5USA 1.00-2.30pm.

Thanks. Etude in Black is one of my favorites.
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Mr. Sirs! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProgRocker wrote: »
    Thank you Mr. Sirs! :)

You are very welcome! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COLUMBO screenings to look forward to (apologies, not full details):-

SAT. 25TH:-

? - ITV3 12.40-2.40pm (+1 1.40-3.40pm).
    ? - 5USA 5.05-9.00pm (+1 6.05-10.00pm) (prob. 2 episodes).

SUN. 26TH:-

? - ITV3 5.20-6.55pm (+1 6.20-7.55pm).

MON. 27TH:-

COLUMBO LIKES THE NIGHTLIFE - 5USA 12.00-1.50pm (+1 1.00-2.50pm).
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you ever see Columbo's wife?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you ever see Columbo's wife?

Not in the series itself, she did have a short lived spin off series though - Mrs Columbo.

There are a couple of episodes included in the Columbo box set as bonuses, don't put yourself out to watch them though, it was short lived for a reason!