BBC news at 1

JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
Forum Member
✭✭
That slamming Bass/noise thing right at the start of each headline thats read out, with panic inducing music in the background, is it just a subtle way of trying to instil fear into the general populace or what ? Cant they just read it out straight without 'backing it up' with manufactured drama?

Comments

• Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jackapple wrote: »
    That slamming Bass/noise thing right at the start of each headline thats read out, with panic inducing music in the background, is it just a subtle way of trying to instil fear into the general populace or what ? Cant they just read it out straight without 'backing it up' with manufactured drama?

I think they should replace the music only because it sounds outdated. The tune they used in the 90s however sounded timeless. :(
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackapple wrote: »

Panic inducing? Slightly irritating would be a better description.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »

As are other things about the BBC's presentation such as them using the same variant of one of their circle indents just before the start of programmes over and over again. (Can you guess which one?).
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let`s not forget, without the Beeb`s overdramatic news music Bill Bailey wouldn`t be able to do his sublime piss-take.
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes It's irritating because it tries to convey alarm unnecessarily.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Let`s not forget, without the Beeb`s overdramatic news music Bill Bailey wouldn`t be able to do his sublime piss-take.

Tough luck to him then if he can't, no skin off my nose! :p
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst is total silence. Anyone of a certain age will remember during the 1980s when the words "news report" would suddenly appear on the BBC with an announcer saying very seriously "and now it's over to the newsroom for a news report" always scared me to death and I usually thought there was about to be a nuclear war or something. It was still usually something pretty grim. I quite like then BBC news theme they have now.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As are other things about the BBC's presentation such as them using the same variant of one of their circle indents just before the start of programmes over and over again. (Can you guess which one?).

Would that be the one where you wonder "Who" came up with the idea of modifying it to include laser blasts?
  • lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News at Ten on ITV did something similar with Big Ben.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wish someone would bang a drum on the OP's head :ROLLEYES:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would that be the one where you wonder "Who" came up with the idea of modifying it to include laser blasts?
    Nope.

Oh, and could I be the one to bang a drum on the OP's head? :D
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think BBC News have completely lost the plot, especially after the Cliff Richard fiasco.
  • Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I think BBC News have completely lost the plot, especially after the Cliff Richard fiasco.

Very true. The BBC have lost all credibility not only with what you've mentioned but also in reference to the Gaza situation. Very biased.

For example, who can forget this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E21MdXe3BOQ
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Ah yes the apocalyptic rave. Brilliant :cool: