Options

Tony Bennett Duets II Snippets (Gaga, Buble, Winehouse, Aretha, Mariah, Groban etc.)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow - GaGa sounds like an old throwback like Judy Garland. Love Carrie Underwood too - but then again I love anything she does!
  • Options
    cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Godga IS the legend that is Judy.
  • Options
    EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ignored your initial comment because I didn't want to encourage trollish behavior and I was hoping that you would show the maturity you felt others lacked in the Beyonce/Mariah thread by leaving it at that. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in the other thread but I realize now that you really dislike Mariah for reasons unknown to me.

You don't like her, fine. She sounds nothing like Marge Simpson in that clip but if you derive enjoyment from such comments have at it. It won't change the fact that Mariah is an immensely talented artist/vocalist with many achievements most of the singers popular today will never come close to achieving. I don't want this thread to veer off topic so this is all I'll be saying on the matter. ;)

Anyway, I have a feeling that When Do The Bells Ring For Me will be one of the highlights of the album. I can't wait to hear it in it's entirety!

Perhaps you shouldn't take comments about people you don't know personally to heart. It's not as if I said you sounded like Marge Simpson.

I'm entitled to my opinion and I have every right to state if I think a singer sounds bad. You'll just have to show some maturity and deal with it instead of calling people ''trolls'' for daring to voice an opinion you disagree with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed at the comments here about Mariah, because Marge Simpson really was the first thing I thought of when I heard this vocal.:eek:

Thank you:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Why does she have to change her voice for a new genre?:confused:

Other great singers (Björk, Christina, Whitney, Beyoncé) don't try to change their voices from genre to genre. Hell, even Gaga doesn't.

It's like she tried, and failed, to sound "More Jazz" (whatever that means).:sleep:

She doesn't have to change her voice she adjusts it to suit whatever genre she's singing, which is a talent most "singers" lack and something that Mariah is great at. Her musicality is why she is able to sing practically anything and one of the many reasons I enjoy and respect her as an artist.

Whatever though, I get that she's obviously not your cup of tea. To each their own.
    Perhaps you shouldn't take comments about people you don't know personally to heart. It's not as if I said you sounded like Marge Simpson.

Oh I'm not taking it to heart. I just found the comparison beyond ridiculous. That's all.
    I'm entitled to my opinion and I have every right to state if I think a singer sounds bad. You'll just have to show some maturity and deal with it instead of calling people ''trolls'' for daring to voice an opinion you disagree with.

That you are and in my opinion your comment came off as trollish. *shrugs*

I can deal with your opinion fine. It's the attitude that goes along with it that I find obnoxious. Though I can deal with that too. It comes with the territory of being a Mariah Carey fan. ;)

Anyway, as Lewnaticc stated it's a bit premature to judge from a 30 second clip.
    Godga IS the legend that is Judy.

Gaga has a good voice but she's no Judy Garland. Sorry.
  • Options
    MindBodySoulMindBodySoul Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    She doesn't have to change her voice she adjusts it to suit whatever genre she's singing, which is a talent most "singers" lack and something that Mariah is great at. Her musicality is why she is able to sing practically anything and one of the many reasons I enjoy and respect her as an artist.

No, that doesn't make any sense at all. Changing or adjusting a voice to "fit in" with a gènre is silly. It doesn't show off any talent at all - it just makes her sound stupid.

Again, taking Björk as an example, and how she can blend so well between so many gènres - Big Band, Pop (Or as Pop as Björk can be) Rock, etc.

Or even a certain Madonna "Breathless" Ciccone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I'm not taking it to heart. I just found the comparison beyond ridiculous. That's all.

That you are and in my opinion your comment came off as trollish. *shrugs*

I can deal with your opinion fine. It's the attitude that goes along with it that I find obnoxious. Though I can deal with that too. It comes with the territory of being a Mariah Carey fan. ;)

Anyway, as Lewnaticc stated it's a bit premature to judge from a 30 second clip.

You are taking it to heart. If you weren't you wouldn't have replied to my posts. The comparison is far from ridiculous. I wasn't the only person who thought she sounded like Marge Simpson. So obviously it's not ridiculous at all. Especially considering she does sound like her in the clip. That's not an opinion. It's a fact. Listen to Marge's voice then listen to that clip. They do sound alike.

What's so obnoxious about stating I think she sounds like Marge Simpson and finding it surprising to learn that's a favoured vocal technique? If I'd said it about one of the other singers on the album I doubt you'd have had an issue with my post. I'm not really interested in the territory that comes with being a Mariah Carey fan. It's not all about her, you know. If I want to give an opinion on how bad she sounds, I will, and without being called a troll:rolleyes:
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, that doesn't make any sense at all. Changing or adjusting a voice to "fit in" with a gènre is silly. It doesn't show off any talent at all - it just makes her sound stupid.

Again, taking Björk as an example, and how she can blend so well between so many gènres - Big Band, Pop (Or as Pop as Björk can be) Rock, etc.

Voice is beyond importance when it comes to genre. If the artists voice does not suit the genre they're singing then the overall song won't be very good. Mariah has a very vertasile voice, so she can cross over into other genres. Naturally, Mariah's voice is drenched in R&B with hints of gospel, so that's where her comfort lies, so the fact that she can pull off something like jazz is quite a talent.
    Lady Gaga's voice has a lot of jazz qualities mixed with soul, so it's no suprise to me that she's going to sound good on this record, however if she tried to pull off R&B/Hip-Hop she'd probably fail miserably.
    Off the top of my head, an artist very limited to what genre's she can sing due to the elements of her voice is Glee's Lea Michelle. Her voice is complete and utter theatricality - she sounds like your above-average stage school belter, so I doubt she'd be able to sing anything other than tacky pop, despite her having outstanding power.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't see it that way at all. She's not trying to "fit in" at all it's just something that comes naturally to her due to her amazing ear for music. In any case I don't think she sounds all that different. It's very subtle. She certainly sounds nothing like Marge Simpson IMO.

Disagree about Madonna, she's a pop icon but I've never considered her much of a singer (and I actually like her).

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because neither one of us is going to change our mind. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are taking it to heart. If you weren't you wouldn't have replied to my posts. The comparison is far from ridiculous. I wasn't the only person who thought she sounded like Marge Simpson. So obviously it's not ridiculous at all. Especially considering she does sound like her in the clip. That's not an opinion. It's a fact. Listen to Marge's voice then listen to that clip. They do sound alike.

What's so obnoxious about stating I think she sounds like Marge Simpson and finding it surprising to learn that's a favoured vocal technique? If I'd said it about one of the other singers on the album I doubt you'd have had an issue with my post. I'm not really interested in the territory that comes with being a Mariah Carey fan. It's not all about her, you know. If I want to give an opinion on how bad she sounds, I will, and without being called a troll:rolleyes:

Whatever. I'm getting tired of this back and forth. Life's too short. You (and one other person) think she sounds like Marge Simpson, bully for you. I think the comparison is way beyond ridiculous and that isn't going to change.

If I can deal with your opinion then you should be able to deal with mine. You come off as trollish to me by the way you express your opinions not because I think you shouldn't be able to or disagree with it. Got it? If that hit a nerve well, too bad. :rolleyes:

I apologize to everyone for hijacking this thread. I hate this sort of thing when I'm not engaging in it (and I don't much like it when I am) again, I'm sorry.
  • Options
    MindBodySoulMindBodySoul Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Voice is beyond importance when it comes to genre. If the artists voice does not suit the genre they're singing then the overall song won't be very good. Mariah has a very vertasile voice, so she can cross over into other genres. Naturally, Mariah's voice is drenched in R&B with hints of gospel, so that's where her comfort lies, so the fact that she can pull off something like jazz is quite a talent.
    Lady Gaga's voice has a lot of jazz qualities mixed with soul, so it's no suprise to me that she's going to sound good on this record, however if she tried to pull off R&B/Hip-Hop she'd probably fail miserably.
    Off the top of my head, an artist very limited to what genre's she can sing due to the elements of her voice is Glee's Lea Michelle. Her voice is complete and utter theatricality - she sounds like your above-average stage school belter, so I doubt she'd be able to sing anything other than tacky pop, despite her having outstanding power.

But the point is - she obviously didn't pull this off, or it wouldn't sound so bad. I don't think Mariah's voice is very versatile when it comes to different gènres. She's pretty much limited to R'n'B sub-gènres. I don't think she can really pull off soul anymore either. I certainly can't imagine her doing anything other than R'n'B.

P.S. I know Madonna isn't a great vocalist, but I was referencing her "Jazz" album from Dick Tracy. You can't deny her voice is quite versatile. From Like A Virgin to Like A Prayer to Bad Girl to Ray Of Light, she's covered quite a lot and pulled it off too.

In conclusion - I don't think Mariah pulled it off, it sounds forced and I want her back doing what she does best. Or at least, what made her successful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever. I'm getting tired of this back and forth. Life's too short. You (and one other person) think she sounds like Marge Simpson, bully for you. I think the comparison is way beyond ridiculous and that isn't going to change.

If I can deal with your opinion then you should be able to deal with mine. You come off as trollish to me by the way you express your opinions not because I think you shouldn't be able to or disagree with it. Got it? If that hit a nerve well, too bad. :rolleyes:

I apologize to everyone for hijacking this thread. I hate this sort of thing when I'm not engaging in it (and I don't much like it when I am) again, I'm sorry.

You should be sorry. Not for hijacking the thread, but for thinking you can accost me for my opinion and then tell me I have to accept yours. Like that's going to happen:rolleyes:

I'll express my opinion any way I see fit, as long as it's within the rules. And you, my sensitive friend, will just have to deal with that:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You should be sorry. Not for hijacking the thread, but for thinking you can accost me for my opinion and then tell me I have to accept yours. Like that's going to happen:rolleyes:

Accost? Oookay. No, no not accept, never accept but deal with it as you yourself told me to do repeatedly. I'm actually finding all of this quite amusing now. Thanks for the laugh. :D
    I'll express my opinion any way I see fit, as long as it's within the rules. And you, my sensitive friend, will just have to deal with that:)

Oh believe me I will. You can count on it as I'm certain I'll be reading plenty of your opinions in future threads about the divine Ms. Carey since you're so keen on commenting about someone you obviously dislike. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Accost? Oookay. No, no not accept, never accept but deal with it as you yourself told me to do repeatedly. I'm actually finding all of this quite amusing now. Thanks for the laugh. :D

Oh believe me I will. You can count on it as I'm certain I'll be reading plenty of your opinions in future threads about the divine Ms. Carey since you're so keen on commenting about someone you obviously dislike. ;)

lol I commented on her in 2 threads over the course of many months as a member of DS. If I was so intent to discuss her I had many opportunities to do so. I chose to comment on the fact I don't think she's big news in the UK and a short while later I chose to comment on how bad she sounds on TONY BENNETT'S ALBUM.

It's a bit suspect that you actually remembered my comments in the other thread and brought them up in this one when both of my comments were about two entirely different things. I can see you're a bit obsessed with her but I wouldn't have thought you'd take to cyber stalking people who dare criticize her:rolleyes:

To put your mind at ease, I won't be commenting on her again. It's not worth the hassle of dealing with her fans. I've never encountered a fanbase so sensitive to criticism of their favourite artist. You'd think I'd spat in the face of a member of their family from the way the Mariah fans carry on when you don't kiss her backside:sleep:
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol I commented on her in 2 threads over the course of many months as a member of DS. If I was so intent to discuss her I had many opportunities to do so. I chose to comment on the fact I don't think she's big news in the UK and a short while later I chose to comment on how bad she sounds on TONY BENNETT'S ALBUM.

It's a bit suspect that you actually remembered my comments in the other thread and brought them up in this one when both of my comments were about two entirely different things. I can see you're a bit obsessed with her but I wouldn't have thought you'd take to cyber stalking people who dare criticize her:rolleyes:

To put your mind at ease, I won't be commenting on her again. It's not worth the hassle of dealing with her fans. I've never encountered a fanbase so sensitive to criticism of their favourite artist. You'd think I'd spat in the face of a member of their family from the way the Mariah fans carry on when you don't kiss her backside:sleep:

that's not entirely true, is it? i am not a mega mariah fan. however, i have noticed you obviously don't like her! that is entirely up to you and you have a right to voice your opinion.

at the same token, there will be people that disagree. personally, i think her voice was fine from the preview. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    that's not entirely true, is it? i am not a mega mariah fan. however, i have noticed you obviously don't like her! that is entirely up to you and you have a right to voice your opinion.

at the same token, there will be people that disagree. personally, i think her voice was fine from the preview. :)

How is it not true?:confused:

I have only commented on her in two threads. Exactly as I described above. It's not even true that I don't like her. I may have disdain for her in general but I like a few of her songs. If I hated her I wouldn't like any of her songs surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen, I'm not commenting on her again, as I said above. If people want to continue this it's up to them. I have no intention of adding any more to this subject unless I'm dragged back in. If I return to this thread it will be with the intention to discuss the Gaga and Winehouse tracks and perhaps the album in full :)
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it not true?:confused:

I have only commented on her in two threads. Exactly as I described above. It's not even true that I don't like her. I may have disdain for her in general but I like a few of her songs. If I hated her I wouldn't like any of her songs surely?

sorry, i read that completely wrong. i thought you was implying that your posts regarding mariah were months apart. when it was only a few days ago. :)

like i said, in the context of the thread. i liked the little, i have heard of mariah. :)
  • Options
    cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaga's voice is better than Mariah's, lets face it.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaga's voice is better than Mariah's, lets face it.

I respect your opinion, but gaga's voice is gonna be better than Mariah's at the moment. Mariah's been in the biz since 1990. She and her voice have aged. It may not be amazing now but her voice back then was incredible and for me knocks Gaga out the water.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I respect your opinion, but gaga's voice is gonna be better than Mariah's at the moment. Mariah's been in the biz since 1990. She and her voice have aged. It may not be amazing now but her voice back then was incredible and for me knocks Gaga out the water.

Mariah is undeniably the superior vocalist, but Gaga is much better at singing jazz than Mariah, even at Mariah's peak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy sounds amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Cyberstalking? Exaggerate much? If I notice one of my favorite artists being mentioned I'll peruse the thread. You just happened to be in a couple of them. I'm not obsessed, I'm just a fan, plain and simple with an excellent memory for names/faces. Your comments may have been about two different things but your dislike of Mariah was apparent in both threads.

To be fair if you had just kept it at one comment saying she sounded bad I wouldn't have bothered. Whatever you believe, I am able to "deal with" peoples differing opinions. It was the absurd Marge Simpson comparison (mentioned twice by you) that annoyed me and as you've learned we Mariah fans are a loyal group. So, there ya go.

Here we go again. No one said you had to like, respect or kiss her backside. You don't like her and that's fine. I know that Mariah is a polarizing artist, you either love her or hate her and you fall in with the latter.

I do regret that I lumped you in with the usual tiresome trolls who compulsively comment about people they don't like. I've never understood why someone would waste their time on someone they dislike and I thought you were such a person. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now. I'll post again when I hear the full version of Tony and Mariah's duet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyberstalking? Exaggerate much? If I notice one of my favorite artists being mentioned I'll peruse the thread. You just happened to be in a couple of them. I'm not obsessed, I'm just a fan, plain and simple with an excellent memory for names/faces. Your comments may have been about two different things but your dislike of Mariah was apparent in both threads.

To be fair if you had just kept it at one comment saying she sounded bad I wouldn't have bothered. Whatever you believe, I am able to "deal with" peoples differing opinions. It was the absurd Marge Simpson comparison (mentioned twice by you) that annoyed me and as you've learned we Mariah fans are a loyal group. So, there ya go.

Here we go again. No one said you had to like, respect or kiss her backside. You don't like her and that's fine. I know that Mariah is a polarizing artist, you either love her or hate her and you fall in with the latter.

I do regret that I lumped you in with the usual tiresome trolls who compulsively comment about people they don't like. I've never understood why someone would waste their time on someone they dislike and I thought you were such a person. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now. I'll post again when I hear the full version of Tony and Mariah's duet.

Let's just forget about it. It's not worth wasting any more time and energy over:)
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mariah is undeniably the superior vocalist, but Gaga is much better at singing jazz than Mariah, even at Mariah's peak.

Have you heard Mariah singing Jazz at her peak? Just out of curiosity? Maybe take a listen to a song called the wind.