BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Convenient to ignore my further comment on lbc content & focus on the previous one about coverage totally laughable that i offer tiresome lines...i believe news station in news shocker to have been posted here many times...ad nauseam...
    many posters have objected here to being attacked for their views & unfortunately have stopped writing here as a result..which im sad about...

at least pcuk offers a measured discussion on Campbell & others though I don't agree lbc is just a local station really anymore-any station can be picked up now & they cover National stories...none of those were london centric and 5live could have balanced those out easily....as I said a report on an arrogant egotist for 1/2 hour. ok.. 3&half on it....pointless drivel & I also objected to the maudlin....someones died tone....not alone check 5lives Facebook thread there's many tired of the amouunt of time given over to this......

I know im no football fan which doesnt help.....
    but im also not totally into r4 by any means so choice of talk stations when not near my web access is limited to state broadcasts & i thought this was hardly earth shattering & warranted untold outside broadcasts & endless eulogies....
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes 5 live4 did go over the top in its coverage of Fergie's retirement.

I would only observe it was in very good company. Sky News had it as its lead item ahead of the Queen's speech. Ferguson is today featured on most if not all front pages of the national newspapers. The Telegraph Guardian and the Sun have pull out supplements on this topic. There is in today's Financial Times a long article discussing Fergie's management style in more general terms than just Football. Jim White in the Telegraph as well as Nick Robinson have advanced the opinion that Sir Alex has been the most successful man in British Public Life in the last 25 years. The man has given lectures on management to bodies like the Harvard Business School.

In other words the story has a place outside as well as inside the world of Football.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    Convenient to ignore my further comment on lbc content & focus on the previous one about coverage totally laughable that i offer tiresome lines...i believe news station in news shocker to have been posted here many times...ad nauseam...
    many posters have objected here to being attacked for their views & unfortunately have stopped writing here as a result..which im sad about...

I know im no football fan which doesnt help.....
    but im also not totally into r4 by any means so choice of talk stations when not near my web access is limited to state broadcasts & i thought this was hardly earth shattering & warranted untold outside broadcasts & endless eulogies....

Good grief - everything of yours that I don't address in fine detail is now labelled as "conveniently ignoring" something. On the subject of LBC, I agree with PCUK's analysis that you're not comparing like with like. LBC does not have the same breadth of remit to cover sport as Five Live does.

Phil also makes a valid observation. Almost every outlet has given the Fergie story huge prominence in the past 24 hours. Again, I maintain my view that Five Live follows the populist agenda.

I'm sorry that you feel there's a lack of choice provided by "state broadcasts" as you put it, but you can hardly blame the BBC for commercial radio's own stance on speech output. I wonder what TalkSport's big story has been lately?
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seemed to be listening to Manchester Local Radio last night.

It was wall to wall Fergie, Fergie, Fergie.

It was actually getting to the point of annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I certainly hope they don't get Paddy Crerand on to discuss anything. He always sounds like he's picking a fight with someone. Apparently he was on TalkSport yesterday & was 'laughing' at the idea of Moyes becoming manager, then started ranting about who their 'very good sources' were. Idiot.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a news and sports network. The big sports story today was Fergie. End of. A couple of weeks ago the focus was on Thatcher's funeral. Surely the role of a breaking news network should be to focus on the landmark stories of the day?

The Hazell trial will continue - for some weeks yet. The detail will be covered. And as much as I'm personally interested in the Mid East, if I want the story of an academic boycotting an academic conference I'd go to Radio 4.
    But it isn't any old academic boycotting any old academic conference. It's more about one of the most famous and respected academics in this country taking a controversial political stance on ME affairs...hm???

Now here's the question. According to you I need to tune to R4, if I expect to hear certain news stories rather than listen to 5 Live. So where does one draw the line as to what news stories get covered on R4 or those on 5 Live accepting that the most half-baked, trivial football stories will always get covered on 5 Live ad nauseam?
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    But it isn't any old academic boycotting any old academic conference. It's more about one of the most famous and respected academics in this country taking a controversial political stance on ME affairs...hm???

Now here's the question. According to you I need to tune to R4, if I expect to hear certain news stories rather than listen to 5 Live. So where does one draw the line as to what news stories get covered on R4 or those on 5 Live accepting that the most half-baked, trivial football stories will always get covered on 5 Live ad nauseam?

If it were Cameron or Miliband boycotting a conference you might have a point. But if you're being honest, does it really surprise you that Hawking is taking this stance? And if you were a talk radio producer, how would you have proposed to make an engaging piece of radio out of the story?

And you seem intelligent enough to be able to work out the answer to your own leading question...
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point is that NOTHING was bigger than this story yesterday or today within the UK.

As for a 3.5 hour special last night. This was the sports time slot, what else were they meant to discuss?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    The point is that NOTHING was bigger than this story yesterday or today within the UK.

As for a 3.5 hour special last night. This was the sports time slot, what else were they meant to discuss?

& that's a sad indictment on today really....I agree sky and newspapers covered it extensively too & I've come to expect it unfortunately ....pensioner retires from business owned by Americans endlessly is woeful drivel......
    I always cringe remembering those clips of Brown & Blair watching football on tv in no.10 & trying to be "one of the people" & when they make comments about it it's just embarrassing.....including actually Nick Robinson...most successful Britain......really? Lame and crass.....

but the gushing praise for someone who refused to even talk to the BBC for 3.5 hours was over the top.....

Other suggestions for topics for last night's sports show they could have talked about??
    .....hmmm....Madrid tennis, giro d'italia,moto GP(just lost rights to BT vision, British superbikes,snooker(not a sport but BBC think it is so would cover)rugby,boxing...and any number of other sports which would fill 3 hours of it........

It's not a top story to a lot of people they just get drowned out by the loudest voices......

Oh and as it goes I thank most people here who have had a lively opinionated discussion which I often have here...

Just.because we disagree I don't think they attack my viewpoint at all....unfortunately not all posters are the same.....

& in other news iron man was excellent so good decision to avoid it all...... :D
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,294
    Forum Member
    BBC do cover other sports from time to time but footbal is going to be the main one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    & that's a sad indictment on today really....I agree sky and newspapers covered it extensively too & I've come to expect it unfortunately ....pensioner retires from business owned by Americans endlessly is woeful drivel......
    I always cringe remembering those clips of Brown & Blair watching football on tv in no.10 & trying to be "one of the people" & when they make comments about it it's just embarrassing.....including actually Nick Robinson...most successful Britain......really? Lame and crass.....

but the gushing praise for someone who refused to even talk to the BBC for 3.5 hours was over the top.....

Other suggestions for topics for last night's sports show they could have talked about??
    .....hmmm....Madrid tennis, giro d'italia,moto GP(just lost rights to BT vision, British superbikes,snooker(not a sport but BBC think it is so would cover)rugby,boxing...and any number of other sports which would fill 3 hours of it........

It's not a top story to a lot of people they just get drowned out by the loudest voices......

They have regular sections on all the sports you mention. It's hardly if they are ignored. They wouldn't fit
    3.5 hours of engaging content last night.

It was the BIGGEST sports story of the day/week/month/year so far if not decade.

He is the most successful person ever in his field, in the world. His job is one of the most high profile jobs in the world.

Thatcher was an unemployed pensioner who had done nothing for 20 years so why talk about her?

Because she changed the UK and Ferguson has changed the sporting world. He is unique as was she. No one will ever do what he did.

If the BBC didn't praise him because he refused to speak to him then wouldn't that just be very very petty?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have regular sections on all the sports you mention. It's hardly if they are ignored. They wouldn't fit
    3.5 hours of engaging content last night.

It was the BIGGEST sports story of the day/week/month/year so far if not decade.

He is the most successful person ever in his field, in the world. His job is one of the most high profile jobs in the world.

Thatcher was an unemployed pensioner who had done nothing for 20 years so why talk about her?

Because she changed the UK and Ferguson has changed the sporting world. He is unique as was she. No one will ever do what he did.

If the BBC didn't praise him because he refused to speak to him then wouldn't that just be very very petty?

Some difference between the leader of the country who altered UK forever & a football manager honestly......& I do believe she actually died not leave her job......

& sports story of the decade? Really?? A man retired from his work??

*sigh* I really do despair of today...... :(
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite frankly I hated Thatcher, and dislike Ferguson.

Both stories were obviously massive though, so I just chose to do other things in the aftermath. Clearly 5live was going to be unlistenable for me, so I didn't listen.

I bet millions did though, about both, and they would have picked up many a floating listener.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some difference between the leader of the country who altered UK forever & a football manager honestly......& I do believe she actually died not leave her job......

& sports story of the decade? Really?? A man retired from his work??

*sigh* I really do despair of today...... :(

He changed sport forever. There are MILLIONS of passionate football fans in this country and this story is huge.

You have to remember that people see sports people as heroes, very few see politicians as a hero

You either get football and the passion behind it or you don't. You clearly don't but millions do and care about it deeply.

I didn't want to hear about Thatcher (unless it was about how she was burning in hell) so I didn't listen.
    Forum Member
    Quite frankly I hated Thatcher, and dislike Ferguson.

Both stories were obviously massive though, so I just chose to do other things in the aftermath. Clearly 5live was going to be unlistenable for me, so I didn't listen.

I bet millions did though, about both, and they would have picked up many a floating listener.

I still find it strange how people seemingly insist on listening to cotent that doesn't interest them.

Even stranger that they feel the need to comment on a show which they deliberately avoided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He changed sport forever. There are MILLIONS of passionate football fans in this country and this story is huge.

You have to remember that people see sports people as heroes, very few see politicians as a hero

You either get football and the passion behind it or you don't. You clearly don't but millions do and care about it deeply.

I didn't want to hear about Thatcher (unless it was about how she was burning in hell) so I didn't listen.

No I wasn't comparing the hero aspect just that the leader of a nation whether you like them or not is more important as news...
    ....though I would say Churchill or Gandhi or Mandela are seen as heroes far more by many more people....

No you're right I don't get football.....it bores me personally to tears....but more boring is the endless talk and gossip about it & the "at the end of the day" type phone in' s........
    I have intense passion for my own sports & you're welcome to yours & many many people in my circle have no interest in it either....

& I'd just like more coverage given over to other sports especially as the BBC doesn't even show most of the football it goes on about...
    .I've just lost my FT A sport to BT Vision & already pay a sub for eurosport - I don't want most of the stuff they, (BT Vision) will show but will have to pay an overall sub to get my fix so have to weigh up what to do....
    & I was originally saying a half hour or so is acceptable but another 3 hours of it on top wasn't....

you asked what other things they could have covered I gave several....(never seen regular slots for most I suggested though either)
    Frank is right it's not a sports station it's a football station with some news thrown in & I'd love an alternative
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I wasn't comparing the hero aspect just that the leader of a nation whether you like them or not is more important as news...
    ....though I would say Churchill or Gandhi or Mandela are seen as heroes far more by many more people....

No you're right I don't get football.....it bores me personally to tears....but more boring is the endless talk and gossip about it & the "at the end of the day" type phone in' s........
    I have intense passion for my own sports & you're welcome to yours & many many people in my circle have no interest in it either....

& I'd just like more coverage given over to other sports especially as the BBC doesn't even show most of the football it goes on about...
    .I've just lost my FT A sport to BT Vision & already pay a sub for eurosport - I don't want most of the stuff they, (BT Vision) will show but will have to pay an overall sub to get my fix so have to weigh up what to do....
    & I was originally saying a half hour or so is acceptable but another 3 hours of it on top wasn't....

you asked what other things they could have covered I gave several....(never seen regular slots for most I suggested though either)
    Frank is right it's not a sports station it's a football station with some news thrown in & I'd love an alternative

Five live does quite a bit of football really, if those other sports were that popular, they'd get the same coverage.

The fact you will have to change your packages, is because football dominates the sports people want to watch and talk about. Sky Sports, and arguably the whole Sky dynasty is dominated by Premiership football, ferguson has been the main player in the sport. This news was monumental in many ways.

It effects the entire launch of these stations, fivelive may not exist without it.

It's what most people want to listen too, so what else are they meant to do?

Cricket is my fave sport BTW, but it just doesn't interest enough people, it's really like screaming at the clouds to suggest that this wouldn't get blanket coverage.

More tweets about it then when Thatch died apparently.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly hope they don't get Paddy Crerand on to discuss anything. He always sounds like he's picking a fight with someone. Apparently he was on TalkSport yesterday & was 'laughing' at the idea of Moyes becoming manager, then started ranting about who their 'very good sources' were. Idiot.

It was actually on Irish national talk radio station Newstalk, with breakfast sports newsreader Oisin Langan being unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end of Paddy's latest rant. Have a listen: http://www.newstalk.ie/Paddy-Crerands-full-blooded--furious-dismissal-of-Ferguson-rumours

Off-topic but something I've long pondered: a subject that frequently comes up on here is why major British cities outside of London don't have their own talk radio stations, with an often-cited answer to this being that their isn't enough interest in regional talk radio to support such stations (City Talk in Liverpool and Talk 107 in Edinburgh regularly being held up as examples of this being the case). With this in mind, how come the Republic of Ireland - which has a smaller population than many of the major British regions - can sustain a successful talk radio station in Newstalk?
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief - everything of yours that I don't address in fine detail is now labelled as "conveniently ignoring" something. On the subject of LBC, I agree with PCUK's analysis that you're not comparing like with like. LBC does not have the same breadth of remit to cover sport as Five Live does.

I'm sorry that you feel there's a lack of choice provided by "state broadcasts" as you put it, but you can hardly blame the BBC for commercial radio's own stance on speech output. I wonder what TalkSport's big story has been lately?

Not suggesting that you specifically were doing this, but I think contrasting Radio 5 Live's approach to this story to that of talkSPORT is as much not comparing like with like as contrasting 5 Live with LBC here is. talkSPORT is now a 24/7 sports radio station, which obviously as you'd expect has lead very heavily on Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement, while Radio 5 Live has a more of a news/current affairs remit particularly on weekdays in the daytime hours. As such, you'd expect Radio 5 Live's approach to fall somewhere in between that of talkSPORT on one end of the spectrum and that of LBC and Radio 4 at the other. They may well have done that - I've not listened to 5 Live over the past few days so am in no position to judge - but I just wanted to make this point.

As for 5 Live Sport last night, again I didn't hear it but if it was a Sir Alex Ferguson special then that makes perfect sense. Other than the obvious reason of 7-10.30pm being their main weekday sports strand and this being the biggest sports story of the week, month and perhaps year; but the alternative last night (and what they would have likely done had this story not broken) was to give a focus on the night's big Premier League game, Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur. National radio rights to Wednesday night games are exclusive to talkSPORT, so what you'd have heard under normal circumstances last night (going by previous examples) would have been a studio-based show with a panel watching the game on their monitors plus a reporter and ex-pro at the ground filing constant reports on a game they don't have commentary access to. I'm a big fan of around the grounds show when plenty of matches are taking place, such as talkSPORT's Matchday Live on Saturday afternoons, but when there's only just the one game taking place, if you are giving that one match such a heavy focus it's obviously going to come across as being inferior to doing a full commentary. As such I think 5 Live are right to focus on something else other than a match they aren't able to commentate on in such situations.

I listened to the vast majority of talkSPORT's build-up to their Chelsea v Spurs commentary from 7pm last night and even than that was dominated by talk about Sir Alex's retirement. Aside from a few team news pieces, I think they spoke entirely about SAF's retirement up until they handed over to commentary just before 7.45pm. So clearly talkSPORT saw the story as being such a big deal that it overshadowed their normal build-up to a match that was crucial to Champions League qualification issues - under normal circumstances they would easily have filled that 45 minutes with build-up to the one match.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sympathise with those who don't like football and can't stand Ferguson. I maintain though it was a major news as well as a sports story. I totally disagree it was only about a Pensioner retiring. With virtually the entire British media having reporters crawling all over Old Trafford and Goodison Park it is totally unrealistic to expect Radio 5 not to cover the subject in depth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS before dismissing Nick Robinson's commemts on this you actually listen to his explanation on the listen again facility fo9r this morning's Today Programme. It was on just after 820
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    I sympathise with those who don't like football and can't stand Ferguson. I maintain though it was a major news as well as a sports story. I totally disagree it was only about a Pensioner retiring. With virtually the entire British media having reporters crawling all over Old Trafford and Goodison Park it is totally unrealistic to expect Radio 5 not to cover the subject in depth.
    I agree 100% with this. It was THE main story of the day and it would be unrealistic to expect a station such as 5 Live to have ignored it or to have downplayed it by giving other news stories equal billing, including events in Ohio which 5 Live had been giving prominence to the previous day. Whether that was the right editorial decision when compared to events in Ohio or any other story is of course open to discussion and criticism but to many people in the UK the Fergie retiring story was the big news story of the day.

I wasn't listening to the radio last night but rather was watching the Chelsea v Spurs match on Sky Sports 1 and Fergie's retirement was the main story and discussion at the beginning of the programme, before the match itself started. It shows just how big the news was that it overshadowed what was an important game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five live does quite a bit of football really, if those other sports were that popular, they'd get the same coverage.

The fact you will have to change your packages, is because football dominates the sports people want to watch and talk about. Sky Sports, and arguably the whole Sky dynasty is dominated by Premiership football, ferguson has been the main player in the sport. This news was monumental in many ways.

It effects the entire launch of these stations, fivelive may not exist without it.

It's what most people want to listen too, so what else are they meant to do?

Cricket is my fave sport BTW, but it just doesn't interest enough people, it's really like screaming at the clouds to suggest that this wouldn't get blanket coverage.

More tweets about it then when Thatch died apparently.

I quite realise that it's screaming at clouds Sean, while I don't like cricket much myself I wish you had more coverage of that as well....
    in fact we were promised post Olympics a lot more coverage of other sports at the time I knew it was just guff but hoped it wouldn't be.......

as I think while football may be popular & it's SKY that has led it down the mass multi million media route rather than BBC
    They (BBC) will cover it as a public broadcaster directly funded by us in same way they shouldn't chase ratings on soaps & Saturday night TV
    that I believe they should be covering less popular things because unlike commercial stations they aren't dependent on advertisers....

As to packages I wasn't talking sky but BT vision as they have bought a lot of football & at the price wanted for it I can't just have the sport I want & it's gone exclusive so can't even get highlights off eurosport for next 5 years :(
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have started to listen to 5live's coverage of formula one tonight and the woman who presents it can only talk about Sir Alex Ferguson it seems. Good god!
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    I have started to listen to 5live's coverage of formula one tonight and the woman who presents it can only talk about Sir Alex Ferguson it seems. Good god!
    No doubt under strict orders to mention SAF and football every few minutes. .Undoubtedly this new 5 Live controller is going to carry on where the previous 2 left off, probably with even greater emphasis on football by the station I don't know why they don't go the whole hog and become BBC's answer to TalkSport Some might say they've almost arrived there.
This discussion has been closed.