Options

Louis Smith, Mark Ramprakash...

SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
Forum Member
✭✭
Both winners, both male and both non white. I remembered reading in this forum recently that quite a few vocal forumites bemoaning that non white male contestants who went on winning reality competitions are almost non-existent. When Mark Ramprakash was proffered as the exception, people are still skeptical and would rather pontificate their conspiracy theories about how GBP are somewhat biased against them.

Now that Louis won, where are these theorists now?:D

Comments

• Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both winners, both male and both non white. I remembered reading in this forum recently that quite a few vocal forumites bemoaning that non white male contestants who went on winning reality competitions are almost non-existent. When Mark Ramprakash was proffered as the exception, people are still skeptical and would rather pontificate their conspiracy theories about how GBP are somewhat biased against them.

Don't worry they're far too busy knashing their teeth on other threads over the fact that THEIR pro/celeb didn't win.
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    mentioning Mark, he was excellent on the red button tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs F wrote: »

I normally don't pay attention to who's talking on the red button, glad Mark was good tonight (with Karen Hardy, presumbly).
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think race came into play at any point there.

Ramprakash, a wonderful hero of his time - not actually excellent but beautifully realised.

Louis - a hero of his time, but not convincingly realised for me.

And Ramps a man, and Louis, still, a boy.

Nothing to do with race.

Attractiveness though, well yes, but there ye go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think race came into play at any point there.

Ramprakash, a wonderful hero of his time - not actually excellent but beautifully realised.

Louis - a hero of his time, but not convincingly realised for me.

And Ramps a man, and Louis, still, a boy.

Nothing to do with race.

Attractiveness though, well yes, but there ye go.

I agree with you mostly. But those theorists are now strangely silent. They said, before Louis won, that GBP are somehow partial against non white male contestants, quoting how Ricky Whittle and some Z Factor non white male contestants losing out to others in the finals. Oh well, glad Louis won, shut those people up proper.:D
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Last year there were threads on here moaning that it was racism that stopped Chelsee from winning... I guess the runners up just had plain old bad luck, although I suppose perharps Kimberley was too orange for some.
  • Options
    abigailsmumabigailsmum Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs F wrote: »

Darn - now wishing I'd pressed the red button :mad:
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Is there anyway to watch it back with the red button commentary, I dont usually like it on but was tempted when I saw Mark was there.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you mostly. But those theorists are now strangely silent. They said, before Louis won, that GBP are somehow partial against non white male contestants, quoting how Ricky Whittle and some Z Factor non white male contestants losing out to others in the finals. Oh well, glad Louis won, shut those people up proper.:D

Ricky was unappealing, and Natalie was raw and at her worst, miss sparkle and too much.

I still don't think it's to do with race, sort of ever, in any sort of convincing way in Strictly.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a Louis fan, barley, who came up with the race theory. He / she is still promoting it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    It was a Louis fan, barley, who came up with the race theory. He / she is still promoting it :rolleyes:

What kind of fan is that? :confused: Still promoting (?) it after he won? Most bizarre! :D
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Flavia fan.

Is there a race for her?
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Pet Monkey wrote: »

Glad somebody's read the OP :)
  • Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Particularly since JLS lost to a black woman and Alesha Dixon won Strictly, beating the Housewives Fave Gethin into third. And Rav Wilding didn't survive long and nor did Colin Salmon.

Ramps and Louis won cos they're ace!
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Flavia fan.

Is there a race for her?

She is Italian. So European I suppose.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loon wrote: »
    Particularly since JLS lost to a black woman and Alesha Dixon won Strictly, beating the Housewives Fave Gethin into third. And Rav Wilding didn't survive long and nor did Colin Salmon.

Ramps and Louis won cos they're ace!

I second that:)
  • Options
    sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hadn't noticed that theory going around.Said theorists may want to check out Brian Belo winning Big Brother against the blonde twins.
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love both Louis and Mark and they are favourite celebs to appear on strictly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    There are still people complaining because all those winners perceived by White people as black or Asian winners are actually mixed race. Mark is Asian/White. Louis is Black/White.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed that theory going around.Said theorists may want to check out Brian Belo winning Big Brother against the blonde twins.

I remembered that was mentioned too but those theorists just ignored it.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are still people complaining because all those winners perceived by White people as black or Asian winners are actually mixed race. Mark is Asian/White. Louis is Black/White.

So now those people only want pedigree non whites? Not hybrids?:rolleyes:

Gosh, it's like buying chickens! I had four hybrids, not pedigrees because they lay more eggs, and since I am vegetrian most of the time, I won't be after their meat once they egg laying days are over.

What was the question again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas to you all xx
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ZIVNouSXs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now those people only want pedigree non whites? Not hybrids?:rolleyes:

Gosh, it's like buying chickens! I had four hybrids, not pedigrees because they lay more eggs, and since I am vegetrian most of the time, I won't be after their meat once they egg laying days are over.

What was the question again?

Slaughter the chooks and post them to me?;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    Slaughter the chooks and post them to me?;)

Tesco has whole chickens, free range and all and only £5.99. Might be even cheaper now because people are going for turkey this christmas. Don't miss it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco has whole chickens, free range and all and only £5.99. Might be even cheaper now because people are going for turkey this christmas. Don't miss it.

We are having beef so we are super cruel cow killers:p