eBay woes!

rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
Forum Member
I have an item ending within the hour and it's new so not cheap. An hour ago the highest bidder messages me asking me to remove the bid so I lied and said I can't do it cos I'm on my way to work and if he wants it removing then he will have to retract it himself. Then I questioned him as to why he was changing his mind and he said that he had bid on multiple auctions of the same items. (So that is not really my problem!) anyway I told him I can't access a computer so he will just have to hope he's outbid as he told me what his highest was so he's only one bid away from being outbid bit there's 40 minutes left and he is still the highest bidder! Advice please? I might have been a bit more sympathetic if he hadn't of told me he didn't want it cos he bid on multiples of the same item.

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,825
    Forum Member
    Just cancel the bid. Legally he is liable for payment but it's not worth all the hassle.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I'm going to lose money though :/ I don't even know how to cancel a bid.
    Forum Member
    I'm going to lose money though :/ I don't even know how to cancel a bid.

You have no alternative. If you don't and they win the auction what are you going to do?
    Forum Member
    I've just lost 30 pounds by cancelling his bids now :/ I hope it gets bid back up again :S I need all the money from the things I am selling to get a new work laptop :(.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just lost 30 pounds by cancelling his bids now :/ I hope it gets bid back up again :S I need all the money from the things I am selling to get a new work laptop :(.

Shouldn't work be buying your laptop? Or is it a laptop you're buying yourself to do your own work at home? If so, I'll shut-up...

Hope the bids increase, though! What's the item?
    Forum Member
    Yeh it's for work to do my self. It's titanfall for the xbox one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh it's for work to do my self. It's titanfall for the xbox one.

Is it the download version that's currently stuck at 10.50?

ETA: it's jumping up a bit, at least... Just looked at the DL versions have been going for between 20-30 quid with the odd one or two peaking above that...

You'd easily nab a laptop if you sold the Xbox One, though </sits on his wallet...>
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an item ending within the hour and it's new so not cheap. An hour ago the highest bidder messages me asking me to remove the bid so I lied and said I can't do it cos I'm on my way to work and if he wants it removing then he will have to retract it himself. Then I questioned him as to why he was changing his mind and he said that he had bid on multiple auctions of the same items. (So that is not really my problem!) anyway I told him I can't access a computer so he will just have to hope he's outbid as he told me what his highest was so he's only one bid away from being outbid bit there's 40 minutes left and he is still the highest bidder! Advice please? I might have been a bit more sympathetic if he hadn't of told me he didn't want it cos he bid on multiples of the same item.

I'd have done what you did initially and told him to retract the bid himself. It's not hard to do.
    Forum Member
    Yes it was :D yeh I've noticed it's just gone up :)
    Forum Member
    I'd have done what you did initially and told him to retract the bid himself. It's not hard to do.

I don't think you can do it yourself when it's that close to the end can you? You never used to be able to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bam - £26 towards a lappie...
    I don't think you can do it yourself when it's that close to the end can you? You never used to be able to.

That's what I thought, too. AFAIA once it gets to an hour before close, a bidder can't retract a bid...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ebay is a crap experience if you're a seller. Not too bad for buyers though.
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Ebay is a crap experience if you're a seller. Not too bad for buyers though.

As a long term business seller on Ebay I have very few complaints. Some people try it on but overall I have few problems.