Options

Partially paralysed man with part of his head missing told he is 'fit for work'

12346»

Comments

• Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely agree. It just shows - again - how broken the whole assessment system really is.
    The DWP's response by saying they got more medical evidence is just bunkum. You can clearly see he had medical problems.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree. It just shows - again - how broken the whole assessment system really is.

I am at a loss to understand this assertion. Any Daily Fail reader will jump up from under their bridge and tell you it's the fault of those on benefits period. Yet those of us who choose to live in the real world, know that benefit fraud is miniscule.

(ps sorry Jason - obviously I agree)

..It now remains at less than 1%. But guess where all the true fraud lies..? Oh yup right at the doorstep of all those atypically associated with rags like the Fail. You do have to laugh at the inate stupidity of these unbelieveably hypocritical people. Most fraud in the UK is some kind of tax fraud, which is more prevalent the richer one becomes. BUT because numbers wise, there are fewer of these cheats - it seems the DF readers are incapable of getting their brainwashed noodles around the fact, that this is because there are also far fewer people with this kind of money in the first place.

It's not the poor who rip off the country. It's the rich..simple fact, always has been, still is and likely always will be.

Kryptonite Reading For Daily Fail Automatons

0.7%..? Shirley Knott !!

Evidence overload alert

..unless you read a certain type of periodical that most the rest of us would not use to clean our arses with.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    The DWP's response by saying they got more medical evidence is just bunkum. You can clearly see he had medical problems.

The fact that half of his skull is missing should have given them a small clue.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the purpose of the original decision had nothing to do with the right assessment but getting across, the lengths and measures,---how hard these decision makers are prepared to be towards other claimants.

It is blindingly obvious this decision was going to be questioned and reversed, so why make it?

I am left to wonder how many claims have been rejected or left to go to appeal off the back of the original decision involving this man.

( If we can do it to this man, what chance do you think you have with a claim or appeal),

Nothing to do with fairness or need, all about being seen to be hard, government savings and targets.
  • Options
    Tiger RagTiger Rag Posts: 6,559
    Forum Member
    What a waste of time and money.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosebuddy wrote: »
    I'm sure the guy could work a computer , there are ways and means you know.

If severely disabled Stephen Hawking can contribute to the world , what's stopping this guy ?

You Liberals, you live in a fantasy world where money is distilled from nectar and elf's bum fluff.

I suspect there may be a little more to the job of being the world's leading theoretical physicist than you realise.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosebuddy wrote: »
    I'm sure the guy could work a computer , there are ways and means you know.

If severely disabled Stephen Hawking can contribute to the world , what's stopping this guy ?

You Liberals, you live in a fantasy world where money is distilled from nectar and elf's bum fluff.
    Because behind that brilliant mind and f*cked body is a large support team.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A spokesperson from the DWP told The Huffington Post UK that the decision was changed after Bailey submitted more evidence to support his case for having his benefits reinstated.

The spokesperson said: “Decisions are based on the medical evidence provided.

“Mr Bailey has given us more details of his medical history, and has now been found eligible for the benefit.”

Looks as though this has been revised in house by a DWP decision maker, and never got to the independent tribunal stage.

I wonder how much influence the media publicity had in that?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Looks as though this has been revised in house by a DWP decision maker, and never got to the independent tribunal stage.

I wonder how much influence the media publicity had in that?

none probably, his treatment by the dwp is very common, refuse it first and then allow if a reconsideration is asked for, you have to do that first before you can go to a tribunal.

edit:

this is what sick people are having to go through:
    A seriously sick and disabled woman has been told her vital disability benefits will be cut, despite having had two kidney transplants and requiring oxygen to be able to get through each night.

Ann Forster, 56, says she is a victim of the government’s “flawed” benefits assessment system, after a face-to-face assessment found she wasn’t ill enough to continue receiving £220 a month is disability benefits.
    Mrs Forster was assessed for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) at her home in Kirby-in-Ashford, Nottinghamshire.

A subsequent decision letter claims she could stand and move more than 200 metres with no significant difficulty or breathlessness.

The letter says Mrs Forster “completed all movements at a normal pace with no pain, discomfort or breathlessness”.

“You said you have difficulties with moving around, but I have decided you can stand and then move more than 200 metres as the examination showed no significant restrictions and no breathlessness was observed.”

But Mrs Forster’s husband Geoff says his wife “didn’t even leave the room” during the 30-minute home assessment.

“She didn’t even leave the settee but for a metre to stand up and bend over, that was it”, he told the BBC.

http://www.welfareweekly.com/disabled-woman-who-cant-get-through-the-night-without-oxygen-told-shell-lose-vital-benefits/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-36371498

and still you get cretinous individuals who think it`s too easy.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,876
    Forum Member
    Under the rules these Tories have in place and or how they are interpreted, nothing surprises me with them and their general hardline stances on such things.

This reminds me when a Labour MP asked David Cameron a brilliant rhetorical question that "Could the PM confirm the reports that ATOS have declared Richard The Third fit for work"!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21354087
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    none probably, his treatment by the dwp is very common, refuse it first and then allow if a reconsideration is asked for, you have to do that first before you can go to a tribunal.

Reconsiderations are mandatory when a decision is disputed, but the majority of PCA cases are rubber stamped in favour of the original decision, not withstanding additional evidence, as the staff are not medically trained. Only then will it proceed to appeal, if the claimant has made it clear that it is an "appeal", as opposed to simply a dispute.

At the PCA appeal tribunal, there is always a Doctor present to weigh up all the original and additional evidence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Reconsiderations are mandatory when a decision is disputed, but the majority of PCA cases are rubber stamped in favour of the original decision, not withstanding additional evidence, as the staff are not medically trained. Only then will it proceed to appeal, if the claimant has made it clear that it is an "appeal", as opposed to simply a dispute.

At the PCA appeal tribunal, there is always a Doctor present to weigh up all the original and additional evidence.

you`re just adding to what i said so i`m not sure what you`re saying.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seem's that every single person who has to take these assessment's end up needing to appeal to get the decision overturned. I am yet to see one person say they have scored enough points to keep their benefits.

This system is flawed and they know it. It was set up to get people off benefits, not try and work out who is and isn't fit for work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    It seem's that every single person who has to take these assessment's end up needing to appeal to get the decision overturned. I am yet to see one person say they have scored enough points to keep their benefits.

This system is flawed and they know it. It was set up to get people off benefits, not try and work out who is and isn't fit for work.

my upstairs neighbour just got pip from indefinite middle rate dla, full rate, no in person assessment, mental health, it all seems rather random.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    Anyone who thinks it would be different under Labour is foolish at best. The world has changed - the benefits budget is way out of control and any party winning at an election, once they have seen the books, is going to change nothing.
    The current and predicted populations are only going to make it worse - we already have not enough schools, hospital and care beds. Population growth with or without immigration is growing exponentially.

It is VERY wrong that those in genuine need do not get what they ought to - but I work in the NHS and I see malingerers every working day. The only thing is - those shirkers know how to lie, cheat and fill in the forms!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks it would be different under Labour is foolish at best. The world has changed - the benefits budget is way out of control and any party winning at an election, once they have seen the books, is going to change nothing.
    The current and predicted populations are only going to make it worse - we already have not enough schools, hospital and care beds. Population growth with or without immigration is growing exponentially.

It is VERY wrong that those in genuine need do not get what they ought to - but I work in the NHS and I see malingerers every working day. The only thing is - those shirkers know how to lie, cheat and fill in the forms!
    So you are happy for these assesments to continue knowing what the effects are to the genuine?

These assesments could easily be designed so the genuine will be supported, but they are not. They are designed to take people off benefits, genuine or not. There is also a lack of common sense applied where it's pretty darnm obvious that they are genuine.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So, if the benefits budget is out of control, why penalise those who need it the most?
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    So you are happy for these assesments to continue knowing what the effects are to the genuine?

These assesments could easily be designed so the genuine will be supported, but they are not. They are designed to take people off benefits, genuine or not. There is also a lack of common sense applied where it's pretty darnm obvious that they are genuine.
    Tiger Rag wrote: »
    So, if the benefits budget is out of control, why penalise those who need it the most?

I said that it would be no different with ANY government and stand by that - never said I was happy with the assessments or that genuine claimants should be penalised.

Please enlighten me as to how to reduce the number of people on benefits?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said that it would be no different with ANY government and stand by that - never said I was happy with the assessments or that genuine claimants should be penalised.

Please enlighten me as to how to reduce the number of people on benefits?
    For a start they could apply common sense and see their medical records. Only qualified people should do the assesments and it needs to stop being a ticked boxed exercise.

You think endless appeals is saving taxpayers money?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For a start they could apply common sense and see their medical records. Only qualified people should do the assesments and it needs to stop being a ticked boxed exercise.

You think endless appeals is saving taxpayers money?

There's also no point of constantly assessing people for whom there's no cure or treatment for their conditions.