Options

Characters that have moved to a different show

Comments

• Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    It looks like alot of the Chicago franchise has seen characters move from one show to a spin-off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_%28franchise%29

Yeah there for instance the character of Shambala Green is returning in Justice after having been last seen in L&O. Technically I think not a spin off though L&O begat L&O:SVU which does frequently cross into the Chicago worlds it will be a permanent move. Might need a judge's ruling on that one

Chicago PD of course had a character that went to SVU for the rest of her life (spoilered just in case people haven't seen SVU S:16) So I guess that should count?
    Nadia (Stella Maeve)
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    they maybe not what you intended it to be about...

I think the OPs intentions are clear--to find shows having a share character, but not based around that shared character. But also not guest stars, because that's very temporary.

Munch is the best example, because Law & Order is established as being in a shared universe with Homicide, but neither show is Munch's story, really--he's not the protagonist of either show. Ergo, it's not a spinoff. But even when someone IS a protagonist in one or more of the shows (Lou Grant, being a good example), the two shows were so different in tone, implementation, and in fact the characteristics of the character himself, it can't really be counted as a spinoff either.

Another from US TV...

Trapper John. The character was of course on MASH, then was on a show named "Trapper John MD" years later. This is not an identical situation to Lou Grant, however, because unlike Lou Grant it wasn't the same actor playing Trapper John. Wayne Rogers was the guy on MASH and Pernell Roberts (a much older man) was John on that other show. The fact that MASH was set long in the past, and that Trapper John MD was set in the present (well, the 1980s--the present of when it aired) is what allowed this--the "old" John wouldn't necessarily look all that similar to the very young one.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slight digression...

In 1955 CBS aired You'll Never Get Rich a comedy set on a US Army base

After two months it was re-titled The Phil Silvers Show and then became Bilko continuing to star Silvers until the end of its run in 1959
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bergerac reappeared in an episode of "The Detectives".
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    I think the OPs intentions are clear--

Yes they were. Thanks but I have no problem understanding the OPs intention

The reality of the thread however is it almost entirely consists of people talking about spin off & crossovers - even if it's just to moan that "Its still a spinoff."

This however is not helping either :blush:
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Estelle Getty played Sophia Petrillo on Golden Girls, Gilden Palace, Empty Nest, Blossom and Nurses.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Estelle Getty played Sophia Petrillo on Golden Girls, Gilden Palace, Empty Nest, Blossom and Nurses.

Technically the last 3 were guest appearances, and Golden Palace a spinoff, but as another poster said... I suppose there's no fighting people ignoring the OPs rules. All the talk would be done here by now if we followed them, since the number of characters who MEET the no-guest appearance/ no spinoffs rules is likely limited--a "regular" ongoing player who moves between shows, is on both for years, but the shows weren't created from the same root or from each other.

I forced Trapper John out of the back of my mind after seeing the earlier mention of Lou Grant, but I know there's at least one more character lingering there in the back of my head who actually meets those rules. I have to stop thinking so hard about it and maybe it will fall out.
    Verence wrote: »
    Detective John Munch first appeared on Homicide: Life On The Streets before also becoming a leading character in Law and Order: SVU. In the SVU episode in which Munch retired several other characters from Homicide appeared at his leaving do

Munch actually has appeared on TEN different shows, believe it or not (2 of them OFF of American TV!). That said, HLOTS and L&O:SVU are indeed the only two that meet the rules of this topic (because he was a guest star on all of the others and not a regular).
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Yeah there for instance the character of Shambala Green is returning in Justice after having been last seen in L&O. Technically I think not a spin off though L&O begat L&O:SVU which does frequently cross into the Chicago worlds it will be a permanent move. Might need a judge's ruling on that one

Chicago PD of course had a character that went to SVU for the rest of her life (spoilered just in case people haven't seen SVU S:16) So I guess that should count?
    Nadia (Stella Maeve)
    Chicago and L&O are more intended than I realised.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically the last 3 were guest appearances, and Golden Palace a spinoff, but as another poster said... I suppose there's no fighting people ignoring the OPs rules. All the talk would be done here by now if we followed them, since the number of characters who MEET the no-guest appearance/ no spinoffs rules is likely limited--a "regular" ongoing player who moves between shows, is on both for years, but the shows weren't created from the same root or from each other.

It's a post in a forum. Feel free to calm down at any time.

She was a series regular on Empty Nest for the last two series. 52 episodes isn't a 'guest appearance'.
  • Options
    tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how Munch from Homicide and then L&O SVU managed to 'exist'. It's quite cleverly done and obviously with the Chicago shows in the same 'universe' Dick Wolf is continuing that trend...

I'm afraid it's another spin off but there's The Closer and Major Crimes, which takes most of the cast and squad over to the spin off.

ER and Third Watch had a crossover, as did all the CSI's but I guess that doesn't fit the original poster's intention either. Truth is, it's incredibly difficult to answer the question.

Potentially, with the Netflix Gilmore Girls, a few characters from the creators series after GIlmore Girls (Bunheads) might have appear - Sutton Foster (Michelle), the woman who played Truly and a Bunhead but details, as far as I know, don't tell us if they are new characters or ones from Bunheads.
  • Options
    RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it safe to say no-one can give an example keeping to the narrow constraints contained in the OP ?

I think Kevin Webster appeared in the Vic one time offering to give hundreds of hookey MOT certificates to Phil if he bumped off Kevin's slattern of a wife Sally.
    I might have dreamt it though, I dream of Sally quite a lot, in a foursome with her and her daughters,

Oh nurse, my stitches have burst again.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I forced Trapper John out of the back of my mind after seeing the earlier mention of Lou Grant, but I know there's at least one more character lingering there in the back of my head who actually meets those rules. I have to stop thinking so hard about it and maybe it will fall out.

Munch actually has appeared on TEN different shows, believe it or not (2 of them OFF of American TV!). That said, HLOTS and L&O:SVU are indeed the only two that meet the rules of this topic (because he was a guest star on all of the others and not a regular).

Munch also was featured in Sesame Street and is mentioned in Luther as being the 'Baltimore contact for Luther.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bloke who plays Charlie from QVC turned up in the sitcom 'Lookalikes' the other night playing Charlie from QVC
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Eagle9a wrote: »
    The late great Robin Williams appeared in Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley as Mork, as well as the show called Mork and Mindy. Henry Winkler as the Fonz made appearances in all 3. Probably not actual "new shows" with same character(s) but perhaps slightly more than guest appearances on spin offs.

Joanie and Chachi had their own spin-off series too - Joanie Loves Chachi.

Other transfers -

Frasier Crane from Cheers to Frasier.

Worf from Star Trek:NTG to DS9

George & Mildred from Man About the House (and the US equivalents from Three's Company)

Liz Sladen from Doctor Who to the Sarah Jane Adventures

John Barrowman from Doctor Who to Torchwood

Benson from Soap to Benson
  • Options
    laine_claine_c Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Mulder and Scully where in The Simpsons.
  • Options
    tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again with Law & Order, ADA Connie Rubirosa transferred to short lived L & O: Los Angeles when the original L&O series ended. Jack McCoy and Mike Cutter have also appeared in SVU a few times. For that matter, the medical examiner was appeared in L&O and SVU.
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,218
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Munch also was featured in Sesame Street and is mentioned in Luther as being the 'Baltimore contact for Luther.

He also arrested someone in X Files. Which was weird cos I'm currently watching s 13 svu where he's about to retire yet I'm just getting into x files which was almost 20 years ago. The guy gets about.
  • Options
    Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willpurry wrote: »

Jim Bergerac changed his name to Barnaby, got married and moved to Midsomer!
  • Options
    NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ernie Bilko became Top Cat and Duane Doberman was still his sidekick Benny the Ball
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not completely in the spirit of the OP, but there are a number of American actors / comedians that have a 'thing' who seem to just pop up randomly in US programmes, doing their thing, so it's kind of like the character transferring

For example:

Ben Stein (The 'anyone' teacher in Ferris Bueller)
    Eugene Levy (The Dad from American Pie)
    Bobcat Goldthwait (Zed from Police Academy)
    Michael Winslow (Sound effects guy from Police Academy)
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    It's vry rare for it not to involve a spin off of some description. Even Hollyoaks was pretty much conceived as a 'little sister' to Brookside - whilst not an official spin off it had the same creator, same production team, filmed in the same lot, set in the same area geographically (Chester and Liverpool really aren't that far apart) and even before Matt Musgrove switched soaps, 2 Hollyoaks characters (Rith and Kurt) appeared in the background of a Brookside scene when Jacqui Dixon stayed in Chester as an in joke nod to indicate that they were set in the same fictional universe.

Brookside also featured Mick reading a newspaper where the headline was 'plane crashed on Yorkshire village' indicating that Emmerdale is also real rather than being a television show in the Brookside/Emmerdale universe.

Conversely, Sammy Jo Carrington was once shown reading a magazine where the front cover was advertising the new season of Dallas (complete with cast photo) so in Dynasty's fictional universe, The Ewings are characters on a tv show, not real people who they could do business with.

St Elsewhere once showed a few of the Doctors dropping into a bar for after work drinks - the bar was Cheers and Carla mentioned she'd had her last baby as St Eligius.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    St Elsewhere once showed a few of the Doctors dropping into a bar for after work drinks - the bar was Cheers and Carla mentioned she'd had her last baby as St Eligius.

Also St Elsewhere, long after it ended, was name checked in Chicago Hope when doctors attended a convention in Las Vegas and they welcomed doctors from Boston St Elegius (St Elsewhere).

Of course, Mark Harmon (now Gibbs in NCIS) played a doctor in BOTH St Elsewhere and Chicago Hope.

And the very same week that Chicago Hope episode went out in the US an old character from St Elsewhere crossed over and appeared in an episode of Homicide.
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George Lazenby was 'JB' in the Return of the Man from Uncle (1983), including a Bond like car and reference to On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  • Options
    Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Stratford Johns (Barlow) and Frank Windsor (Watt) appeared in the original BBC1 Z Cars series 1962-65, The characters then transferred to Softly, Softly 1966-69, Softly,Softly: Taskforce 1969-72 and Barlow at Large 1971-73.

God that makes me feel old!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Willpurry wrote: »

So did Charlie Hungerford