Characters that have moved to a different show

13»

Comments

• SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Robin's Nest a spin off from Man about the House, as Richard O Sullivan's character was the same, and then George and Mildred carried on into their own series.
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I know Robin's Nest was a spin-off from Man About the House as was George and Mildred. George and Mildred was a bit odd though, because did the same actor not play their snooty neighbour as played Robin's brother who Chrissy fell in love with - or have I got that all wrong?

I never could understand why characters never transferred from one soap to another, especially if the actor was axed against their will. If I was the producer of one soap and a character "moved to their sisters" or something I'd be knocking their door down to get them to reprise their role in my soap as the new neighbour. It would have had great novelty value for a while anyway.

Or maybe there would be copyright issues or something?
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    There would be copyright issues. Depending on whether they were a sraff writer or freelance, (usually they are staff writers) the character will either belong to the Production Company who employed the writer (so the BBC for EE) or the Writer themself and they will be entitled to money every time the character appeared on a different show which would probably make it impossible.

Matt Musgrove was able to move from Brookside to Hollyoaks because Phil Redmond had created both shows and his Production company owned the copyright for both. Same thing with Tanya Turner appearing on Bad Girls - same production company for both.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Count Duckula was a recurring villain in Danger Mouse before appearing in his own show.
  • Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    There would be copyright issues. Depending on whether they were a sraff writer or freelance, (usually they are staff writers) the character will either belong to the Production Company who employed the writer (so the BBC for EE) or the Writer themself and they will be entitled to money every time the character appeared on a different show which would probably make it impossible.

This was supposedly the reason that Patrick McGoohan's character in The Prisoner was not John Drake. Danger Man creator/producer Ralph Smart had the rights to that character and was not involved with The Prisoner.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karly wrote: »
    As far as I know Robin's Nest was a spin-off from Man About the House as was George and Mildred. George and Mildred was a bit odd though, because did the same actor not play their snooty neighbour as played Robin's brother who Chrissy fell in love with - or have I got that all wrong?

I never could understand why characters never transferred from one soap to another, especially if the actor was axed against their will. If I was the producer of one soap and a character "moved to their sisters" or something I'd be knocking their door down to get them to reprise their role in my soap as the new neighbour. It would have had great novelty value for a while anyway.

Or maybe there would be copyright issues or something?

Spot on re MATH. Norman Eshley played Robin's brother, also called Norman. He'd played a married chap after Chrissy earlier in the series, one of the best episodes. He was a v good comic actor, so not suprised they wanted him for G & M.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also St Elsewhere, long after it ended, was name checked in Chicago Hope when doctors attended a convention in Las Vegas and they welcomed doctors from Boston St Elegius (St Elsewhere).
    Ed Begley Jr., William Daniels, Stephen Furst and Eric Laneuville all appeared as guests in scrubs, playing if I recall correctly a group of unnamed doctors who had fallen sick whilst at a convention
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »

Matt Musgrove was able to move from Brookside to Hollyoaks because Phil Redmond had created both shows and his Production company owned the copyright for both. Same thing with Tanya Turner appearing on Bad Girls - same production company for both.
    yes generally crossovers are kept intercompany, but that is mainly because the legal issues would be too much to sort out either, Spiderman appearing in the MCU despite still being Sony, goes against this.

Flash appearing in Supergirl may also have had to clear some smaller legal hurdles, same for The Simpsons and Family Guy, as the last two are not from the same production company.
  • methyl_propylmethyl_propyl Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    The Royal was a spin-off from Heartbeat.
    Greengrass (long-since gone from Heartbeat) appeared in The Royal after the program matured. Not the same thing as the way the policemen from Heartbeat appeared in the early episodes of The Royal.