Options

Women's Euro qualifiers

HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
Forum Member
England Women take on Serbia at Wycombe Wanderers Adams Park on June the 4th. Live on BBC2 apparently.

Comments

• Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ZicoZ, driving your white van.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England Women take on Serbia at Wycombe Wanderers Adams Park on June the 4th. Live on BBC2 apparently.

Thanks for the heads up.

It will.be good to watch this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering what line-up Sampson will pick. Especially at left back. Rafferty, Stokes, or Greenwood?

I think, on balance, Rafferty shades it for me but it's a close call.

Similarly at right back I'd go for Bronze over Alex Scott but, again, it's a close call.

Jill Scott seems to be an automatic choice but, for me - unless I'm missing something -, she's very frustrating and seems to be on the deck more times than enough. Who would replace her though?

Up front? Aluko? Duggan? Taylor? You can never tell with Sampson. Maybe Carney's goal against Bosnia has booked her place.

Be interesting to see but I hope they play better than against Belgium (last 15 minutes aside). Not that it would be difficult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Strange forum behaviour!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would quite like to see how Fran and Duggan would work together as a partnership up front, as I really quite like the pair of them individually for their respective clubs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Forgot about Fran Kirby. :blush:

Not sure what would work best but England certainly need to be more creative.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Nigel Adderley will be commentating.

Sadly, though, I expect we'll be subjected to that muttering, mumbling richard head again who will, no doubt, tell us about Clare Rafferty's ACL injuries, Sue Smith's haircut/style, and the fact that she was drunk in Vancouver.

Who knows? He may even say something about the match!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Daly and Parris called up for the Serbia game.

I am unaware of Rachel Daly as she plays in America but, from what I've seen of Nikita Parris playing for Man City, she's well worthy of a place in the squad, if not the starting line up.

Daly and Parris in Lionesses squad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see that more people are being looked at, that is something positive I think.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see that more people are being looked at, that is something positive I think.

I'm not sure women would be happy being looked at in the way you probably mean bats
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure women would be happy being looked at in the way you probably mean bats

I purely meant looking at a wider pool of players, outwith the people that have been called up previously! :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I purely meant looking at a wider pool of players, outwith the people that have been called up previously! :blush:

So what do you expect the starting line up to be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For what it's worth I'll put what I expect (want?) the line up to be. It's a bit difficult though because you can never tell with Sampson. He got called 'The Tinkerman' in some quarters!

1. Karen Bardsley
    2. Lucy Bronze
    3. Claire Rafferty
    4. Steph Houghton
    5. Casey Stoney
    6. Fara Williams
    7. Nikita Parris
    8. Jordan Nobbs
    9. Toni Duggan
    10. Karen Carney
    11. Gemma Davison

I've missed out Jill Scott though she seems to be an ever present. Fran Kirby and Eni Aluko are also missing which shows how difficult it is to pick the team.

I've picked Bronze and Rafferty over t'others because they just seem to have that little bit extra.

I excpect that Sampson will now choose a completely different starting line up but as long as the performance and result are right, who cares?

ETA: This all assumes no suspension or injury worries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just realised that there is another notable absentee in Katie Chapman. She needs to be in there somewhere.

Dunno owt about Rachel Daly so it'll be interesting to see how/where she fits in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kirby and Flaherty have withdrawn from the squad due to injury.

Kirby/Flaherty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just watched the highlights of Bosnia Women v. England Women on YouTube and agree with the comment by 'Scott Slack'.

Although I would think if Davison plays there'll be no place for Parris in the starting eleven. Be interesting to see who Sampson picks.

Bosnia v. England
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is disappointing that Fran has had to pull out as I do think she is a very skillful player, and offers us something that the other strikers don't.

Hopefully we can cope without her, and get the victory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From what I've read it looks as though Jonathon Pearce will be commentating which is a puzzlement.

Why do the BBC keep giving these games to him when they've got decent commentators? Most notably, from those I've heard, Nigel Adderley. Adam Somerton isn't far behind either but would still be better than Pearce. Not that that would be difficult.

So, we can probably expect to get told, if it can be heard above the background noise, about Claire Rafferty's ACL injuries, Katie Chapman's child care issues, Fara Williams homelessness and various other irrelevancies. And I thought Barry Davies was bad!

Oh! We'll also, no doubt, be told something about the opposition players but probably mumbled so we don't know.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is disappointing that Fran has had to pull out as I do think she is a very skillful player, and offers us something that the other strikers don't.

Hopefully we can cope without her, and get the victory.

Who do you think should replace Fran, Batdude?
    Over a pint in The Dog and Duck last night, I thought they should go with Rachel.
    Having seen some of her most recent games for The Houston Dash. she's literally been on fire and she's quite happy to put herself about a bit as well

However my mate Growler says Nikita should be the one.
    What say you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Over a pint in The Dog and Duck last night, I thought they should go with Rachel.
    Having seen some of her most recent games for The Houston Dash. she's literally been on fire and she's quite happy to put herself about a bit as well

What say you?

I think Duggan will start, so it will be a case of one other one with her, so it will be a case of who best compliments her style, so and with Fran missing, I think Parris might be best suited to that role.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    It is a shame that we are not on the same page with our line of thinking that we have both arrived at but I bow respectfully to your superior knowledge of the matter at hand.

Growler will be pleased that someone agrees with him- it doesn't happen often :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    It is a shame that we are not on the same page with our line of thinking that we have both arrived at but I bow respectfully to your superior knowledge of the matter at hand.

Growler will be pleased that someone agrees with him- it doesn't happen often :D:D:D:D:D

No worries it is nice though to have someone to talk about women's football about with, as unlike in the male side, I cannot be accused of being biased, as my male team is seemingly set against having a women's side sadly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your friendly welcome and I look forward to further perambulations with you in future course.
    However now I must go out and buy a courgette.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What say you?

Interesting comments about Rachel Daly although she can't have been literally on fire! ;-)

Nevertheless if she's as good as your comments indicate perhaps she should be in the starting line up. I know nowt about Daly but my impression is that she plays in a different position to Parris though Sampson's not averse to mucking about.

I'm inclined to think that he'll stick with the tried and trusted with impact subs on the bench.

I certainly hope the girls put on a decent performance after that debacle against Belgium. Maybe they'll have a point to prove.