Options

New ipad mini with retina display now available to order at uk apple store online

Comments

• Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Looks like the ones ordered direct from Apple are being delivered early. Many being delivered today by UPS.
    Mine was waiting for me when I got home :)

I've spent the last 20 minutes closely examining the screen to see it is suffering any of the screen problems that have been reported with some of the iPad Airs. Glad to say the screen is flawless. So far anyway!
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine was waiting for me when I got home :)

I've spent the last 20 minutes closely examining the screen to see it is suffering any of the screen problems that have been reported with some of the iPad Airs. Glad to say the screen is flawless. So far anyway!
    Congratulations! Mine came today too.

I'm glad you aren't joining the ranks of those 'perfection seekers' who seem to look for any excuse to send their Apple device back. "It's too yellow" "It's too blue" etc. :p
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I brought mine today from John Lewis Nottingham
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh,I forgot to mention that the ipad mini with retina display has a 3 year guarantee online and in store at John Lewis.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Is there any sign of the cellular version yet - has anyone here got one or know someone who has got one ?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Is there any sign of the cellular version yet - has anyone here got one or know someone who has got one ?
    Yes, I've got the 32GB space grey cellular version. Picked it up from the Aberdeen Apple Store on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    Yes, I've got the 32GB space grey cellular version. Picked it up from the Aberdeen Apple Store on Wednesday.

Ah, so they do exist. Hopefully my online order for a 64gb one will materialise soon.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Could anybody help me please? I'm interested in getting my daughter an Ipad for Christmas, at the moment she has an i pod touch. I have no idea whether to get an Ipad mini, retina display, a regular Ipad mini or an Ipad 2. If anybody has any advice I would be eternally grateful. Also, do you advise 16GB or 32GB? Many thanks.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    Could anybody help me please? I'm interested in getting my daughter an Ipad for Christmas, at the moment she has an i pod touch. I have no idea whether to get an Ipad mini, retina display, a regular Ipad mini or an Ipad 2. If anybody has any advice I would be eternally grateful. Also, do you advise 16GB or 32GB? Many thanks.
    Too many variables!
    The iPad2 and iPad mini are the same resolution but differ in physical screen size. The mini is better for having with you at all times - but the larger screen size can also be good for photos, videos etc.

Similarly it is only screen size which differs for the new retina mini and the iPad Air.

Buying the older models will save money - it depends on whether she NEEDS the extra resolution.

16Gb is a good size to start with IMHO.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I would avoid the ipad 2 and non retina ipad mini as they not that great. The iPad 2 is 3 years old now and is really slow with iOS 7 apparently. iPad mini retina is twice as good for the iPad mini non retina it is better for reading etc because the text is really good.

I have a 16gb ipad air which is ok for my needs I just can't put all my music and videos on at the same time. I put my music on my iPhone 5s and music videos & movies on my ipad air. The 32gb would be a lot better for me but I couldn't stretch to it. The 16gb is great for web browsing, some apps, maybe a movie or two but 32gb gives you more flexible options.

The retina ipad mini and normal mini would be better than the ipad 2 which won't be as useful in the future due to the slower processor etc.

I would go to the Apple store if you can or another store that sells iPads like John Lewis and have a look at what ipad suits your budget and daughters needs. I am sure she will love her gift.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full Anandtech review up now. Detailed as always. Interestingly he believes there are multiple sources for the displays. Also in a few of graphics benchmarks the iPad 4 wins over the Air and Retina Mini.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharp are said to try to make the bulk and LG the rest.
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/15/screen-image-ghosting-reported-on-ipad-mini-with-retina-display/

Yet here claims Samsung are too. You could probably find the traits which your display correlates too and thus guess the manufacturer. They reckon the Sharp ones ghost more.

"Apple sent an LTE model, which basically duplicated most of the functionality of my smartphone."

I doubt Apple are in any rush to make it function like a Phablet..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Sharp are said to try to make the bulk and LG the rest.
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/15/screen-image-ghosting-reported-on-ipad-mini-with-retina-display/

Yet here claims Samsung are too. You could probably find the traits which your display correlates too and thus guess the manufacturer. They reckon the Sharp ones ghost more.

"Apple sent an LTE model, which basically duplicated most of the functionality of my smartphone."

I doubt Apple are in any rush to make it function like a Phablet..
    The ghosting is apparently not noticeable by normal users. There is a test that displays a chequerboard for 10 minutes then switches to a dark grey background. On some displays you can still see the chequerboard for a while. This is the same test Anadtech tried. http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

The iPads can be used as phablets within the iOS ecosystem. Obviously iMessage works to/from other Apple devices. And also since iOS 7 you can also now make low bandwidth audio only calls using FaceTime.

The Mini though is a bit too large and wide to be used comfortably as a phablet. Also I doubt they'll add the ability for make normal calls and texts as it will cannibalise/dilute iPhone sales. They may well make the Iphone slightly larger eventually. But it requires a total change of direction from Apple which has for years been going down the miniturisation route of shaving a few mm and grams from here and there. Going for a bigger screen will allow larger batteries though which could be handy.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPads can be used as phablets within the iOS ecosystem...
    Depends if you think Sim bypassing VOIP makes it into a phablet.

I'm not sure if any 8" 4:3 Phablet would cannibalise many phone sales. Its a lot bigger than most 7" phablets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Depends if you think Sim bypassing VOIP makes it into a phablet.

I'm not sure if any 8" 4:3 Phablet would cannibalise many phone sales. Its a lot bigger than most 7" phablets.

Depends a lot on the networks too. Some block/discourage VOIP and some provide their own apps like TUGO which even relay SMS too.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I would avoid the ipad 2 and non retina ipad mini as they not that great. The iPad 2 is 3 years old now and is really slow with iOS 7 apparently. iPad mini retina is twice as good for the iPad mini non retina it is better for reading etc because the text is really good.

To be honest I have an Ipad 2, a mini and an Ipad Retina and i see no difference in terms of speed with IOS7.

But i agree with you in this day an age i would not buy an
    new Ipad without the retina display, the quality is simply superb. Like you said the new mini with retina is probably the best choice for a present.
  • Options
    12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to have a look at the iPad Mini with Retina Display and I must admit it's a very nice iDevice.

Compared to the iPad Air it's definitely going to be my next tablet of choice once Christmas 2013 is out of the way.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all who have replied to me - a decision has been made, I think that I'll go for the IPad Mini with Retina Display.

Thanks once again - you've been most helpful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The good news is that my 64GB cellular retina mini has dispatched. The bad news is it's coming from China and is not scheduled to be with me until the 2nd December. Anyone else who has received a retina mini this way give me any hope that it might arrive sooner ?
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The good news is that my 64GB cellular retina mini has dispatched. The bad news is it's coming from China and is not scheduled to be with me until the 2nd December. Anyone else who has received a retina mini this way give me any hope that it might arrive sooner ?

If you've received shipping notification, it takes 3-4 days to arrive from China. My iPhone arrived well ahead of the due date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »
    If you've received shipping notification, it takes 3-4 days to arrive from China. My iPhone arrived well ahead of the due date.

That's what I thought, my 5S arrived in a few days
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it's coming via UPS like mine did, then the ETA should be pretty accurate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    If it's coming via UPS like mine did, then the ETA should be pretty accurate.

It's reached Cologne, I'm hopeful I should have it the end of the week instead of next Monday
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's reached Cologne, I'm hopeful I should have it the end of the week instead of next Monday
    What date are UPS saying? Because that's the latest you'll get it, barring something extreme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    What date are UPS saying? Because that's the latest you'll get it, barring something extreme.

It's all a bit confusing. The Apple page says Delivery 27 Nov - 4 Dec at the top. Half way down it says Est. Delivery 25th November (today) which is unlikely as it is actually still in China. The UPS tracking page doesn't give a scheduled delivery date but says it will be shipped by then. The Cologne was a red herring as the activity in Cologne was something to do with a broker there, it's currently in Hong Kong. As I say, all a bit confusing.