Options

New ipad mini with retina display now available to order at uk apple store online

124»

Comments

• Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Bex. wrote: »
    had a play on one at the apple store today, really liked it :) went on the air after and it felt too big/heavy :o

iPad Air to heavy?

You sure it was the Air?

Just got my Air today and i was shocked how light it was.

Was going to get the Retina mini, but its just to small and i have large hands, and can easily hold an iPad Air in 1 hand.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    It's all a bit confusing. The Apple page says Delivery 27 Nov - 4 Dec at the top. Half way down it says Est. Delivery 25th November (today) which is unlikely as it is actually still in China. The UPS tracking page doesn't give a scheduled delivery date but says it will be shipped by then. The Cologne was a red herring as the activity in Cologne was something to do with a broker there, it's currently in Hong Kong. As I say, all a bit confusing.

Very confusing. Not complaining, burt it arrived in Leeds 5:22 this morning, a week early, yesterday it was supposedly in HK. Out for delivery to me today, rather ironic as I am away today.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UPS tracking page can be inaccurate for overseas shipments. Packages can end up being scanned in bulk, which means they can already be in the air before the page is updated, or vice versa. They can sometimes also end up being scanned twice, hence still appearing to be in Hong Kong but actually in Cologne.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why doesn't Amazon have the mini 2 for sale?
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a look at one today. Certainly very fast and smooth and noticeably a little quicker than my iPad 4th Gen but I still prefer the larger size of the full iPad.

I like the form factor of the Nexus 7 better in the smaller tablet sector as Its just easier to hold.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Had a look at one today. Certainly very fast and smooth and noticeably a little quicker than my iPad 4th Gen but I still prefer the larger size of the full iPad.

I like the form factor of the Nexus 7 better in the smaller tablet sector as Its just easier to hold.
    Do you not find the screen too small? I like the look of the new nexus 7 but the scree. Size puts me off. I have a 5 inch phone so think l, 7 inches isn't much better. I have an ipad mini and at almost 8 inches it's big enough as a small tablet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not find the screen too small? I like the look of the new nexus 7 but the scree. Size puts me off. I have a 5 inch phone so think l, 7 inches isn't much better. I have an ipad mini and at almost 8 inches it's big enough as a small tablet.

I find the Nexus 7 easier to hold and a good size for reading and also the applications are on the whole similar to phone apps but scaled up so they don't seem so squished. Web browsing isn't ideal, then I thought the iPad mini wasn't either.

Normally I would bang on about how much better iOS tablet apps are since they are specifically written for the full size iPad, so those same apps I think are too squished on an iPad mini.

I'll almost certainly be getting an iPad air when time allows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Ordered 32GB Cellular IPad Mini Retina on 12th Nov.

Originally order was suppose to ship 10 business days and Dispatch Date was 26th November to 3rd December.

I just got an email from Apple saying Shipment date has been revised.

New date now: 5th December to 9th Dec 2013, by Standard Shipping.

Has any one in UK received the IPad Mini Retina Cellular version yet?

The product number is: ME820B/A

I called Apple and they initially said estimate dates were accurate, but would have been good if they updated me earlier and not the day it was suppose to be shipped.

Still in "Processing Items" state :cry:
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    AppSac wrote: »

Has any one in UK received the IPad Mini Retina Cellular version yet?

The product number is: ME820B/A

I called Apple and they initially said estimate dates were accurate, but would have been good if they updated me earlier and not the day it was suppose to be shipped.

Still in "Processing Items" state :cry:

Yes, see my post #78
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally I would bang on about how much better iOS tablet apps are since they are specifically written for the full size iPad, so those same apps I think are too squished on an iPad mini.....
    The Mini has been easily outselling its bigger cousin. That might change now they have raised the price.

apps are meant to adapt, even the IOS ones you write.
    Yet humans certainly come in many sizes so, in not adapting, logically we should also specify an age range per device..

It may get slightly ludicrous if Apple bring out a 6" phablet that only runs phone apps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm going to have to eat my words a little here.

I was lucky enough to be given an iPad mini retina as a little work bonus a couple of days ago.

Since I've been using it I've barely touched my full sized iPad ( again a work bonus from last year ).

I have to say this thing is very noticeably quicker than my 4th gen ipad
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    I'm going to have to eat my words a little here.

I was lucky enough to be given an iPad mini retina as a little work bonus a couple of days ago.

Since I've been using it I've barely touched my full sized iPad ( again a work bonus from last year ).

I have to say this thing is very noticeably quicker than my 4th gen ipad

You were given an I Pad mini as a "little work bonus"? What firm is this and when can I start!! The firm I work for give us a free turkey once a year and a copy of the local paper once a week!
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    You were given an I Pad mini as a "little work bonus"? What firm is this and when can I start!! The firm I work for give us a free turkey once a year and a copy of the local paper once a week!

I get a bacon roll for working the last day before Christmas...that is all!
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The Mini has been easily outselling its bigger cousin. That might change now they have raised the price.

What's this? They've increased the price of the new iPad Mini Retina? What was the price before and what is it now?
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrrrrgh!

What started out as a nice idea to surprise the mrs for Christmas has quickly turned into a nightmare.

The big question is, Nexus 7, or Ipad mini with retina display?

I know nothing about tablets but a bit of research tells me you can't use external storage devices with them. Then how are they any use?
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    Arrrrrgh!

What started out as a nice idea to surprise the mrs for Christmas has quickly turned into a nightmare.

The big question is, Nexus 7, or Ipad mini with retina display?

I know nothing about tablets but a bit of research tells me you can't use external storage devices with them. Then how are they any use?

Both of those tablets (and indeed all tablets) have access to cloud storage, so local storage is only required for apps and any music/video/docs that you need immediate access to.

I have an iPad mini and use an app to connect to my networked hard drive which gives me 3TB of storage.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Both of those tablets (and indeed all tablets) have access to cloud storage, so local storage is only required for apps and any music/video/docs that you need immediate access to.

I have an iPad mini and use an app to connect to my networked hard drive which gives me 3TB of storage.

I decided to bite the bullet and go for a full upgrade on everything.

I was originally going to get a new Windows 8 laptop to replace the original Macbook I've been running for about 8 years, but I know nothing about Windows PCs and could easily have got a dud, and since I've worked on Macs for over twenty years, I thought sod it, and ordered a new Macbook Pro as well as one of the new 32g iPad Mini Retina Display tablets.

I was also talked into a 2 terabyte Time Capsule which should back everything up automatically and (hopefully, with the right app) should give me plenty of storage for the tablet.

Can't help feeling I've just wasted the last few years' savings and I'm sure I could've done it all for half the price, but at least I know I can trust Apple hardware and we're up to date for the next few months until the next thing comes out and it's all obsolete again.

I'm still convinced that tablets are utterly pointless, but I'm prepared to change my mind.