Can I add external CD drive to Surface?

I've not been this excited about Microsoft product in a long while, I hear Surface has a USB port, does this mean I could plug in a external CD drive, so I can load a game such as The Sims etc?

:D

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surface Pro, yes, it has a full Windows 8 pro. Surface RT has an ARM processor and Windows RT, so you could not use the CD there, even if it recognised the drive, which it very likely won't.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not been this excited about Microsoft product in a long while, I hear Surface has a USB port, does this mean I could plug in a external CD drive, so I can load a game such as The Sims etc?
    The Surface Pro (which isn't out for a few more months) would run games like The Sims, but the Surface running Windows RT won't.

I'm sure we're going to get lots of threads like this over the coming months :o
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot off the press:
    Although you can install apps directly from the Windows Store, you can't install apps on the desktop on Windows RT. Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview Edition comes preinstalled, which provides you with touch-optimised desktop versions of the new Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.

You can only install printers, mice, keyboards, and other devices that are certified for Windows RT.

From http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.257929400