Why no Jews in soaps?

2»

Comments

• IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha! :D

I know - Doom mongers :rolleyes:

You'd think we all carry knives and are all benefit scroungers! Some are of course, but there are still some decent people :D
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soaps aren't realistic. Like that many people would all know their neighbours, would all work in the square etc.

Like I said, a gay character with a SL mapped out that isn't about his or her sexuality I could live with, a gay character brought in purely to say 'We have a gay character' would be pathetic.

This is why I think they haven't bothered with Jewish characters. Increasingly it seems they can't introduce a new character without either a ridiculous 'entrance' or a without being a raging stereotype. So they couldn't really sensationalise a 'New Jew' - pfft, bothered! :yawn: It's a shame because I agree it would be nice just to have a character introduced without the hype.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I think they haven't bothered with Jewish characters. Increasingly it seems they can't introduce a new character without either a ridiculous 'entrance' or a without being a raging stereotype. So they couldn't really sensationalise a 'New Jew' - pfft, bothered! :yawn: It's a shame because I agree it would be nice just to have a character introduced without the hype.

It's sad that all their SLs are usually based around their faith/sexuality/race. Just having them as a normal character happening to be gay etc. would be nice. Hollyoaks is actually better for this, they have gay characters etc. but not such a big thing is made about the fact they are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's sad that all their SLs are usually based around their faith/sexuality/race. Just having them as a normal character happening to be gay etc. would be nice. Hollyoaks is actually better for this, they have gay characters etc. but not such a big thing is made about the fact they are.

I agree. Don't know why everything has to be such a show. I think Hollyoaks is good with LGBT characters but even they made such a big deal over Hayley (who was in a wheelchair) a few years ago.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,256
    Forum Member
    As mentioned, we have had Dr legg, his nephew David, Felix and the Golds in EE. I don't know if you class it as a soap but Sacha Levy in Holby City is Jewish and it's never been a plot issue - he just is. I agree though that there is a distinct lack in soaps. My Dad went to school in north London in the late 40s early 50s and has a lot of Jewish friends but I think that is due to where they settled after fleeing Nazism.
  • maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a Jewish family on a soap. That said, Zee in EE could be any ethnic mother; i.e. Agnes Brown, Marie Barone (Raymond), George Catzana's mother Seinfeld. et.al. Point is: the soaps have ethnic mom's who are somehow universal. It's fun & funny!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Don't know why everything has to be such a show. I think Hollyoaks is good with LGBT characters but even they made such a big deal over Hayley (who was in a wheelchair) a few years ago.

They usually handle them better though, with EE ever gay character has to have a 'coming out' SL. Whereas in say HO you have Tilly and Esther who are both gay, but there isn't a fuss made about it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They usually handle them better though, with EE ever gay character has to have a 'coming out' SL. Whereas in say HO you have Tilly and Esther who are both gay, but there isn't a fuss made about it!

Yeah. Like I said, I think they handle LGBT characters well, but perhaps not so much with, say, disabled characters:)
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,256
    Forum Member
    maggiek wrote: »
    I'd like to see a Jewish family on a soap. That said, Zee in EE could be any ethnic mother; i.e. Agnes Brown, Marie Barone (Raymond), George Catzana's mother Seinfeld. et.al. Point is: the soaps have ethnic mom's who are somehow universal. It's fun & funny!

I'd agree with that actually. Tge staple of most religious families (especially for comic purposes) in tv is the over-bearing mother who is ultra sensitive about her / their status in their Church and Community be it the Catholic Marie Barone or Zainab or the traditional Jewish mother as per Agony in the 70s or Simon Anstell's sitcom now.

Indeed the only time Sacha's religion has been referenced is when his mum has turned up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. Like I said, I think they handle LGBT characters well, but perhaps not so much with, say, disabled characters:)

I don't remember her, so can't comment ;)

EE did Adam Best (?) quite well, he was in a wheelchair I believe.

And Izzy is Corrie is pretty cool.
  • maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I'd agree with that actually. Tge staple of most religious families (especially for comic purposes) in tv is the over-bearing mother who is ultra sensitive about her / their status in their Church and Community be it the Catholic Marie Barone or Zainab or the traditional Jewish mother as per Agony in the 70s or Simon Anstell's sitcom now.

Indeed the only time Sacha's religion has been referenced is when his mum has turned up.

Tee-hee. I know right?