Samsung SMT - S7800 Freesat PVR 1080P

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
Forum Member
I have had an email from Laskys stating this is now in stock, Also at Comet , The Samsung website has a video demo but no sign of the remote , it looks good and is quoting 1080P ! output, has anyone got one yet and if so whats it like ? I want to dump Sky but am now thinking this may be better than a foxsat ?:)

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Intriguing mention in the Laskys spec.

You may need an aerial upgrade to get Freeview ? :confused:.

Interesting two channel recording and third channel viewing is mentioned which would make it the 2nd Freesat+ pvr to have this capability.

USB capability only mentions playback of music.

Anyone found a detailed review from someone who knows the ins and out of Freesat+
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Heres the link to samsung video demo etc -

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/set-top-box/set-top-box/SMT-S7800/XEU/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=gallery3d

It says wifi via USB dongle and 1080P - does not mention Non freesat mode ? Guess we will have to wait for someone to review it ?
  • BadvokBadvok Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks interesting, can't wait for the reviews, come on Marc and Nigel :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    also possible to write apps for it

http://www.samsungdforum.com/

So anything possible?!

And the video demo shows video playing from USB

Nick
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not one for anyone stuck with a single lnb connection. No tuner loop connection. Interesting about the apps though :D
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flyboy13 wrote: »
    I have had an email from Laskys stating this is now in stock, Also at Comet , The Samsung website has a video demo but no sign of the remote , it looks good and is quoting 1080P ! output, has anyone got one yet and if so whats it like ? I want to dump Sky but am now thinking this may be better than a foxsat ?:)

Don't really see the benefit of a 1080p output when HD channels are 1080i at best. Only thing I can think of is playing downloaded 1080p movies.
  • qslikelyqslikely Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    It looks like it reacts instantly to every move in the menus. Of course, it would in any mfr's demo, I doubt if a Humax one would show the little lags, let alone the 5-10 second waits and lock-ups I often have with iPlayer (with a respectable 7Mbps).

I don't want the Samsung to be better than the Humax, because I only bought the HDR a short while ago. I'd guess it won't have some of the HDR's annoying habits, but could well have a few of its own.

Interesting to see.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    flyboy13 wrote: »

There's no point or advantage in 1080P, programmes are 1080i, and upscaling to 1080P in the box is no different to your set scaling it to fit the screen.

As far as 'better than a Foxsat' goes, Samsung certainly have nothing like as good a reputation as Humax do for set-top boxes.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no point or advantage in 1080P, programmes are 1080i

As I said earlier in the thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qslikely wrote: »
    It looks like it reacts instantly to every move in the menus. Of course, it would in any mfr's demo, I doubt if a Humax one would show the little lags, let alone the 5-10 second waits and lock-ups I often have with iPlayer (with a respectable 7Mbps).

I can't see what relevance your downlink speed of 7Mbps has to a reponse to a button push. Surely It's your upload speed and the response of the lplayer server to the command that's relevant.
    Forum Member
    Relevance was that on the same connection, on 2 Desktops and a basic netbook, iPlayer runs and responds to commands at a decent speed. On my HDR it's never anything like as fast, and often so slow that you think it's locked up, which it also does (un)reasonably often. I don't know how much of this is the fact that it's a different iPlayer (front end, at least) and how much is the HDR and/or the software implementation. I'd say that your comment "Surely It's your upload speed and the response of the lplayer server to the command that's relevant." makes a point, but assumes that the HDR plays no part . . . which I certainly don't. And, I thought download speed IS part of the equation too - press a button, command uploads, server sends reaction back down the line - it's not obvious to the user how much of the response time is up and how much down, it's just a response.

As for the ITV player - I've not seen anyone's comments about the latest improvements, but when I've tried it's been so bad it made iPlayer look good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relevance was that on the same connection, on 2 Desktops and a basic netbook, iPlayer runs and responds to commands at a decent speed. On my HDR it's never anything like as fast, and often so slow that you think it's locked up, which it also does (un)reasonably often. I don't know how much of this is the fact that it's a different iPlayer (front end, at least) and how much is the HDR and/or the software implementation. I'd say that your comment "Surely It's your upload speed and the response of the lplayer server to the command that's relevant." makes a point, but assumes that the HDR plays no part . . . which I certainly don't. And, I thought download speed IS part of the equation too - press a button, command uploads, server sends reaction back down the line - it's not obvious to the user how much of the response time is up and how much down, it's just a response.

As for the ITV player - I've not seen anyone's comments about the latest improvements, but when I've tried it's been so bad it made iPlayer look good.

It's a totally different server so it's not a a valid comparison. The amount of data in a command is trivial compared to the video and audio data. You need a different freesat-hd box on the same link to make any valid comparison.
    Forum Member
    Ok. Reality check:
    "It's a totally different server so it's not a a valid comparison." Maybe me saying 'it's a different iPlayer, or front end' - possibly suggests I'd considered that.

"The amount of data in a command is trivial compared to the video and audio data." Forgive me, I've only been working with computers for twenty-plus years, and in audio and broadcasting for longer - you probably needed to remind me of that.

"You need a different freesat-hd box on the same link to make any valid comparison. " No, I don't. Here's the telling thing. I'm talking about how well the HDR meets expectations, you seem to be defending it against attack.

At the risk of being boring, I do think it's a good device. As others have said here, even in the last few days, a relatvely small amount of work would make it great. And comparing not to other boxes, but to reasonable user expectations of any AV device's functionality, A.D. 2011, the HDR's iPlayer handling is borderline laughable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok. Reality check:
    "It's a totally different server so it's not a a valid comparison." Maybe me saying 'it's a different iPlayer, or front end' - possibly suggests I'd considered that.

"The amount of data in a command is trivial compared to the video and audio data." Forgive me, I've only been working with computers for twenty-plus years, and in audio and broadcasting for longer - you probably needed to remind me of that.

"You need a different freesat-hd box on the same link to make any valid comparison. " No, I don't. Here's the telling thing. I'm talking about how well the HDR meets expectations, you seem to be defending it against attack.

At the risk of being boring, I do think it's a good device. As others have said here, even in the last few days, a relatvely small amount of work would make it great. And comparing not to other boxes, but to reasonable user expectations of any AV device's functionality, A.D. 2011, the HDR's iPlayer handling is borderline laughable.

Simple question have you tried a different freesat HD box on iplayer with better results? If you have then clearly there's a problem but from your postings it looks as if you have not.

Not defending the box in any wayin this respect I don't use iplayer on the hdr for other than testing and it's not very good but that's clearly not evidence that the poor performance is down to the box. I use a VM box or laptop for vod services on the odd occasion i need to.
    Forum Member
    Haven't tried another box, no - it took me forever to save up the bottle tops to get the HDR. But I was saying that the HDR iPlayer performance is not good - something we do agree on, not that the HDR was worse than others. Guess I could have been more specific, though I did say that I don't know how much is down to the box and how much this custom version of iPlayer.
  • Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have used iPlayer on both my Freesat devices and its performance is the about same. I use the TV more but that down to the remote being easier to use, nice big buttons.

Dan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have used iPlayer on both my Freesat devices and its performance is the about same. I use the TV more but that down to the remote being easier to use, nice big buttons.

Dan.

Thanks Dan - thinking about it, it would have been odd for the Beeb (and now ITV) to choose Humax as the beta test platform if it had inferior performance to other Freesat kit.
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know of anyone with any stock of these?? Comet, Laskys - only offering 10-14 day delivery..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    nickdenker wrote: »
    Does anyone know of anyone with any stock of these?? Comet, Laskys - only offering 10-14 day delivery..

Boxes are not shipped yet. Still waiting for a software update I believe,
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Panasonic G20 had a faster iPlayer interface than the Humax - but actually in video was more glitchy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Product seems to have vanished from Samsung's website!

Perhaps because of the bad software or maybe a hardware issue?

Automan.
  • steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automan wrote: »
    Product seems to have vanished from Samsung's website!

Perhaps because of the bad software or maybe a hardware issue?

Automan.
    Thought it was just me, tried the link earlier in the thread and kept getting an error, bad link message
    Forum Member
    in the link

.......samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/set-top-box/set-top-box/SMT-S7800.......

implies there should be a sub menu for set-top boxes but only dvd, homecinema etc can be found so they must have had a sub menu

What did you mean by "bad software or maybe a hardware issue"

Are you suggesting there might be a delay?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rozet wrote: »
    in the link

.......samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/set-top-box/set-top-box/SMT-S7800.......

implies there should be a sub menu for set-top boxes but only dvd, homecinema etc can be found so they must have had a sub menu

What did you mean by "bad software or maybe a hardware issue"

Are you suggesting there might be a delay?

An earlier post in this thread suggests that may be the case and the fact the product has been removed from the Samsung website would seem to reinforce that.

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Thanks Dan - thinking about it, it would have been odd for the Beeb (and now ITV) to choose Humax as the beta test platform if it had inferior performance to other Freesat kit.

I suspect that the Beeb had absolutely no way of knowing what platform had the better performance. How could they, as neither the products nor platform had been built?

The ITV rationale is easier to understand, they simply followed the BBC.