Options

Why does MTV UK not show the EMA's live?

dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
Forum Member
It looks like once again its on a 1 hour delay, compared to the other MTV Networks which are airing it live.

"Watch the 2014 MTV EMA on 9 November @ 9pm CET (9pm GMT UK/Ireland)"

Considering its in Glasgow I thought they'd show it live this time.

Comments

• Options
    steviemsteviem Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their live on Channel 5.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steviem wrote: »
    Their live on Channel 5.

It is delayed on channel 5 as well. As it starts at 9pm on their
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might be on delay as The X Factor has One Direction on and the audience that watch that are bound to want to watch the EMA's too. Hence why it starts at 9pm as X factor ends at 9pm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't start until 9pm.

http://uk.mtvema.com/ notice the countdown.
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    The delay will undoubtedly be due to the watershed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mromega wrote: »
    The delay will undoubtedly be due to the watershed.

There is NO delay, they start LIVE at 9pm.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    There is NO delay, they start LIVE at 9pm.

It's not, its delayed by an hour. Its even mentioned here http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/viacom-air-emas-mtv-channel-744710

"The company, led by CEO Philippe Dauman, made the announcement about MTV’s biggest international music awards show on Wednesday. It said the show would air in the U.K. in more than 25 million TV households with a one-hour time delay at 9 p.m. local time."
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,005
    Forum Member
    Kargo wrote: »
    It's not, its delayed by an hour. Its even mentioned here http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/viacom-air-emas-mtv-channel-744710

"The company, led by CEO Philippe Dauman, made the announcement about MTV’s biggest international music awards show on Wednesday. It said the show would air in the U.K. in more than 25 million TV households with a one-hour time delay at 9 p.m. local time."

So they are expecting ratings on C5 equal to the opening of the London Olympics? :o
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their live on Channel 5.

No.
    stv viewer wrote: »
    It is delayed on channel 5 as well. As it starts at 9pm on their

..and no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    No.

..and no.

Sorry there
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Event timings:
    1800: Doors to the building open
    1830: Doors to the bowl open
    1930: No admission to arena after this time
    2000: MTV EMA Live - Show starts
    2200: MTV EMA Live - Show finishes

http://www.thessehydro.com/MTVEMA.aspx

As others have said, it will be down to the 2100 watershed, as the awards have had their controversies in the past.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Because it always starts at 9pm CET which is 8pm UK time and considering the fact people like to swear and its before the 9pm watershed UK time, it's either a 20 second time delay which means ALOT more production staff and facilities or delay it on tape by an hour and playout 'as-live'
    Blame the stupidity of OFCOM and its being still in the 60's!
    As-Live from 9PM UK time on MTV, MTV LIVE and Channel5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    So they are expecting ratings on C5 equal to the opening of the London Olympics? :o

I think he may possibly be referring to a potential 25 million.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also noticed the awards aren't being repeated tomorrow night on 5+24.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the watershed will have something to do with it but I also think the X Factor being on at 8pm -9pm may also be a reason
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    I think the watershed will have something to do with it but I also think the X Factor being on at 8pm -9pm may also be a reason

As popeye13 has said, it is probably to do with the C.E.T. time of 2100, rather than the (rather small) UK audience.

Have had a look but can't see if the 2008 awards in Liverpool were delayed too.
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Belfast awards were also delayed by an hour a few years back.
  • Options
    Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As popeye13 has said, it is probably to do with the C.E.T. time of 2100, rather than the (rather small) UK audience.

Have had a look but can't see if the 2008 awards in Liverpool were delayed too.

The liverpool show has been the only EMA for around 12 years that was at 8pm GMT, although in reality it was on a 3 minute tape delay and a lot of audio blackouts due to colourful language.

Also as a point of interest it is not OFCOM's fault. MTV in the uk stopped show any of the award shows live either in 2001 or 2002 (before this the EMAs were live plus the VMAs and MTV Movie Awards were show live). Back then the rules laid down by the ITC on product placement meant that MTV in the UK were in breach with all the pepsi cola and other sponsorship messages when showing the the US awards live, plus the swearing before the watershed with the EMAs.

The ITC basically put MTV on notice about this and so to avoid sanction they made a decision to have the EMAs on a 1 hour tape delay unedited (excluding the Liverpool EMAs) and the VMAs and Movie Awards are show a day or two later with all the sponsorship material edited out (although nowadays this would be less of an issue).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the red carpet live at the moment via the broadcast satellite feed.

God bless my motorised satellite dish! :D

It's not been shown live on UK TV for many years. Everyone is too afraid of Ofcom these days! :(
  • Options
    The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They scheduled live on Nicknight Austria and also Germany fta on 19.2 and probably elsewhere
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swearing for Nicki Minge within the first 2 seconds of her being on stage. Guess that explains the delay!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They scheduled live on Nicknight Austria and also Germany fta on 19.2 and probably elsewhere

And judging by the opening I can see why we are on delay!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sat.Deelay wrote: »
    Swearing for Nicki Minge within the first 2 seconds of her being on stage. Guess that explains the delay!

Beat me!
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But in Austria and Germany it will already be 9pm...
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    just do what the americans always do and have a 5 second delay so they can bleep out the swearing when it happens its not difficult!