Is The Voice scripted?

mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
Forum Member
✭✭
I love this show but....
Tonight Will I AM 'listens to his gut' and waits it out to get (IMO) a great singer.
This neatly and amazingly tied in with the end of the show. Surprise surprise.
How fortunate that all the judges didn't have their ten before the end of the show. Perfect timing again!
The show closes this phase on a high. Surprise surprise.

In shows like this they like to bring on an impressive act for the end. Are we really supposed to believe that the producers were leaving it to chance that there would actually be a slot free at this stage? Are we supposed to believe that WILL I AM has a psychic gut that persuaded him to reject some pretty good acts because something better was wating?

C'mon folks. This was all engineered somehow.

Comments

• -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    It wasn't "the end of the show" - Jaz wouldn't have been the last singer, they just made it out like that to up the tension between him and Daniel (?). They would've sent other singers home - no point them singing when the coaches can't turn around, is there?
    I don't see how it isn't believable that Will didn't turn around - all of the coaches have said at some point or other that they liked someone's voice but not quite enough to think nobody better would come along.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be edited so that it works out in such a way.

Of course the last act to be picked would always be the last act... they cant have acts coming on once everyone has got 10!
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    There were apparently 120 people who passed the initial audition who didn't get a chance to appear before the judges before they all had their allocation of 10 so I would speculate Jaz wasn't the last intended auditionee, far from it.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    It will be edited so that it works out in such a way.

Of course the last act to be picked would always be the last act... they cant have acts coming on once everyone has got 10!

You don't get it. If it is totally random in theory the show could finish ahead of time. Too much of a coincidence that it was just right.
    Forum Member
    You don't get it. If it is totally random in theory the show could finish ahead of time. Too much of a coincidence that it was just right.

But the shows aren't broadcast live so not sure why you think it would finish ahead of time? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    There were apparently 120 people who passed the initial audition who didn't get a chance to appear before the judges before they all had their allocation of 10 so I would speculate Jaz wasn't the last intended auditionee, far from it.

That's a very reasonable argument. But I still think it was scripted. Didn't they HAVE to complete their ten acts in this episode. What if Jaz had been a dud? I don't think there was time to fit in anybody else. IMO it's too much of a coincidence that Jaz (cue instant mega audience reaction) was wheeled on at the end of the show and just happened to be the one that Will was saving himself for.
    Maybe the show isn't fully scripted. But I think at the very least it was decided that one of the judges should go to the end of the show with a slot open for this guy.
    Forum Member
    That's a very reasonable argument. But I still think it was scripted. They HAD to complete their ten acts in this episode. What if Jaz had been a dud? I don't think there was time to fit in anybody else. IMO it's too much of a coincidence that Jaz (cue instant mega audience reaction) was wheeled on at the end of the show and just happened to be the one that Will was saving himself for.

:confused: The shows aren't broadcast live. There could have been loads of unsuccessful ones who didn't get broadcast before Jaz appeared. Will was in a great position, with no competition so could have been listening all day before turning round. We have no way of knowing the time difference between all the other coaches getting full allocations and Will having a free pick.
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    It's obviously scripted/engineered a bit because Danny said something along the lines of 'people will think we're eejits for not turning around' which didn't make sense when they were all full except Will. Jessie said sorry she didn't turn around or something similar to Jaz as well but didn't say she was full. So I guess they weren't allowed to say they were full to Daniel, Harriet etc. But the makers obviously wanted a structure to the show and they created one - which is fine by me.

I thought he was aiming that remark at the singers? Although not sure....
  • SydneyHedgehogSydneyHedgehog Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's obviously scripted/engineered a bit because Danny said something along the lines of 'people will think we're eejits for not turning around' which didn't make sense when they were all full except Will. Jessie said sorry she didn't turn around or something similar to Jaz as well but didn't say she was full. .

This is what I found strange. Do we have any absolute proof that Jaz was definitely the 'last' spot to be filled?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get me wrong, I'm hooked!
    I just think there are strings being pulled behind the scenes.
    Forum Member
    It's a TV show at the end of the day and we should always be sceptical, lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically, yes. I guess a good comparison is 'scripted reality' show like TOWIE. Obviously it's not scripted down to individual words but situations will be set up by the producers to guarantee they get 'moments' that people talk about and make the show a discussion point.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,506
    Forum Member
    Auditions aren't live shows and the judges' weekends shows won't be either.

Prerecorded shows get messed with, the order changed, bits chopped out and others added in for effect all the time. It's completely normal and anyone who thinks it is (or should be) done differently is a bit naive. There will be an element of scripting too.

Of course the "last act" wasn't in truth the last available act and he might not even have been the last act to perform!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I think you need to take off your tinfoil hat. It isn't a live show, of course it has been edited and made to fit. That doesn't mean it's scripted, because it clearly isn't. Are you trying to say that the producers tell the judges when to turn around? I don't think so.

It isn't a live show, it's edited to fit the timeslot. They would have gone through the process until the judges had their 10 and then come editing filled in the gaps with sob stories and the rejection.

No script required.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Yeah but it doesn't make sense. If we, the audience, know they're full then we won't think they're eejits for not turning around so why not say to the singers 'I really like you but I'm full' instead of giving the impression they had the possible option of turning around? It's not like it's live so they wouldn't be giving anything away.

Danny said that to Harriet. At that point, we were told that all the judges had one act left to pick, so according to the edit we were seeing, they weren't full, but were close to capacity, therefore were being extremely careful before committing to their final acts. That was why he said they looked like idiots, because they all had availability on their team but didn't pick her.

Danny did say to one of the others later (I think it was Daniel) that he had ten people on his team, that's why he couldn't turn round. :)
  • BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we know they were deffo full for Jaz because Jessie and the others all jokingly tried to push their buzzers.

Maybe they Arent allowed to say they're full to earlier singers otherwise the singers could tell the other people that only Will has space, you'd then get acts anxiously looking over at Will's chair all the way through. It makes sense for good TV for the acts coming in to not know the score and think they Could get all 4 judges.

They were able to tell Jaz they were full because as Will had chosen his last singer , they were obviously full and it wouldn't spoil anything as the remaining auditionees would be sent home anyway.

As for lots being sent home I think it's much fairer to say we have limited space and you may not get to audition than let everyone have a go, say yes and then realise you have too many for the next phase and do an off camera cull.
  • ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    -Jade" wrote: »
    It wasn't "the end of the show" - Jaz wouldn't have been the last singer, they just made it out like that to up the tension between him and Daniel (?). They would've sent other singers home - no point them singing when the coaches can't turn around, is there?
    I don't see how it isn't believable that Will didn't turn around - all of the coaches have said at some point or other that they liked someone's voice but not quite enough to think nobody better would come along.

In that case they should have made things clearer . They could have interviewed done of the ones that didnt get a chance to sing and show them walking off disgruntled .
    Forum Member
    ZicoZ wrote: »
    In that case they should have made things clearer . They could have interviewed done of the ones that didnt get a chance to sing and show them walking off disgruntled .

According to other posters more in the know, all the auditionees invited to attend were well informed that this could happen. Not sure if it's on this thread or another, but the 120 left after the judges teams were full were apparently well looked after and the coaches came to speak to them and had a bite to eat and drink with them. So perhaps they didn't feel disgruntled.

I expect the producers wanted to end the show on a high, and interviewing people who couldn't audition because the teams were full wasn't a positive note to end on. I'm sure these people will be invited back next year, and will probably be invited to participate at the beginning of the process to ensure they didn't miss out again.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZicoZ wrote: »

Except the people that didn't get to audition didn't walk off disgruntled, by all accounts they were treated very respectfully, and got to chat with the judges before they left. And since they all knew there was a chance they wouldn't get to sing it won't have been a huge surprise to them.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it was ever suggested or implied that Jaz was the last available person to pick.
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Except the people that didn't get to audition didn't walk off disgruntled, by all accounts they were treated very respectfully, and got to chat with the judges before they left. And since they all knew there was a chance they wouldn't get to sing it won't have been a huge surprise to them.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it was ever suggested or implied that Jaz was the last available person to pick.

I think people are interpreting this because Holly's voiceover said that Daniel and Jaz were competing for the final spot on Will's team. Of course, everyone who auditioned at that point was too, but it was made to look more like a direct competition between just these two.
  • lovelylissalovelylissa Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    I think people are interpreting this because Holly's voiceover said that Daniel and Jaz were competing for the final spot on Will's team. Of course, everyone who auditioned at that point was too, but it was made to look more like a direct competition between just these two.

Completely agree with this. He wasn't THE last person who could audition, but obviously there is always going to be a last auditionee as the moment the place is filled he becomes the last auditionee. It was always going to be difficult when they have limited spaces, the way they've done it is the only way it could be done, and I'm glad to hear the other 120 singers got treated well, unlike X Factor where they get sent home in favour of people who can't sing (and that's even before they've seen the proper judges).
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    120 left over? Where has this come from?

Not even 100 auditioned in the first place.
  • lovelylissalovelylissa Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    120 left over? Where has this come from?

Not even 100 auditioned in the first place.

I believe it's come from someone who was at the auditions, been on quite a few other threads.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's edited, as others have said, so that it follows a narrative. If Jaz had been first on then it would have looked odd - a bit like coming into the cinema halfway through and then staying to watch the beginning of the film again. (Do people still do that ... anyway, I digress ... )
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe it's come from someone who was at the auditions, been on quite a few other threads.

Well it's bullshit, that's for sure

120 is a huge number of people, they wouldn't have even been all together, they only auditioned 20 or so a day across two sessions.