Channel 4's film seasons and BBC2's Moviedrome

TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know where can I look up the listings of films screened during Channel 4's film seasons during early 1990s?

I saw so many fantastic films from those seasons, but I can't remember the titles of some of those films.

I was also addicted to director Alex Cox's Moviedrome on BBC2 during late 1980s and early 1990s. I would watch as many films as I could during this period. I remember Sweet Smell of Success, Electra Glide in Blue, Two-Lane Blacktop, Q the Winged Serpent, The Wicker Man, The Last Picture Show, The Honeymoon Killers, 84 Charlie Mopic (which I also saw on Channel 4) and Carnival of Souls. I know I saw more, but can't remember which.

I don't suppose BBC has an online list of films screened during Moviedrome?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it covers all the films, but there are two Moviedrome guides free for download on Alex Cox's website:

http://www.alexcox.com/freestuff.htm
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Good call both! These are what got me in to films when I was younger! So many happy Sunday nights!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Not sure if it covers all the films, but there are two Moviedrome guides free for download on Alex Cox's website:

http://www.alexcox.com/freestuff.htm

gasp! You're a hero. Thank you.
  • TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    Hello,fellow geeks:p
    Nice to finally meet ya.
    The online guides are the same guides,that accompanied the original series.
    I still have my paper guides.:)

Did you all watch the later series,Film Works presented by American screenwriter Robert McKee,and Moving Pictures,presented by Howard Schuman?

Films covered in the Film Works series were:

Annie Hall
    The Asphalt Jungle
    An Autumn Afternoon
    Bringing up Baby
    Chinatown
    The Phantom of Liberty
    The Red Desert
    Shane
    Sullivan's Travels
    The Terminatot
    The Verdict
    The Wages of Fear
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV DUNIYA wrote: »
    Did you all watch the later series,Film Works presented by American screenwriter Robert McKee,and Moving Pictures,presented by Howard Schuman?

I met Howard Schuman at the theatre just after MP had been cancelled. I made sure I introduced myself and told him that the BBC were fools for cancelling the finest movie programme ever aired. He was very pleased to get such feedback and it’s a travesty there’s been nothing of similar heft and quality since.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember The Terminator's first terrestrial TV showing on Movidrome back in about '88. 10 minute introduction by Cox, basically telling you what a video nasty the film was, despite the BBC having cut the film to shreds to the point where it was borderline incomprehensible.

To think it was downgraded to a 15 back in 1999 for DVD release.

Oh for the happy days of rampant media paranoia about what's now considered a pretty tame action film.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TV DUNIYA wrote: »

And before Moviedrome there was The Film Club, a series of Saturday night double bills introduced by Derek Malcolm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoufubNJguA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    I remember The Terminator's first terrestrial TV showing on Movidrome back in about '88. 10 minute introduction by Cox, basically telling you what a video nasty the film was, despite the BBC having cut the film to shreds to the point where it was borderline incomprehensible.

Oh for the happy days of rampant media paranoia about what's now considered a pretty tame action film.

I don't recall the BBC cutting 'The Terminator' but I wouldn’t be shocked if they did (possibly for language). US TV stations did heavily cut 'The Terminator'. Apparently NBC cut 7 minutes for the 1987 TV premiere (obviously removing all the naughty bits)!

You can read Cox's own words about The Terminator from the Moviedrome PDF link above and he does not call it a 'nasty' (because it wasn't) or mention any cuts to the film by the BBC – but that doesn’t mean it was shown uncut! I noticed In the Moviedrome review he talks about Terminator 2 in production but mentions Total Recall as though it’s already released which would date the review around 1990.

The Terminator (1984) was never cut in the UK for theatrical or home video versions and was ‘18’ rated on home video until 2001 when it was re-rated to ‘15’ without cuts. T2 (1991) was cut theatrically (and later for home video) to get a '15' rating in the UK.

BTW anybody interested in theatrical and home video cuts for censorship and classification should pay a visit to the melonfarmers website.

Update: This definitely settles what Alex Cox said about The Terminator!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoGGHPLdy5U
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Does anyone know where can I look up the listings of films screened during Channel 4's film seasons during early 1990s?

I saw so many fantastic films from those seasons, but I can't remember the titles of some of those films.

I was also addicted to director Alex Cox's Moviedrome on BBC2 during late 1980s and early 1990s. I would watch as many films as I could during this period. I remember Sweet Smell of Success, Electra Glide in Blue, Two-Lane Blacktop, Q the Winged Serpent, The Wicker Man, The Last Picture Show, The Honeymoon Killers, 84 Charlie Mopic (which I also saw on Channel 4) and Carnival of Souls. I know I saw more, but can't remember which.

I don't suppose BBC has an online list of films screened during Moviedrome?

Was MovieDrome not also on in the late 90s?

I remember watching The Warriors followed by french film, La Haine.

That was in the late 90's and was part of a film season on BBC2.

Another film I remember seeing on BBC2 late at night as part of their seasons was Society. A film I haven't seen before or since.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was MovieDrome not also on in the late 90s?

That was in the late 90's and was part of a film season on BBC2.

Probably, but I wasn't around for it. Late 1980s and early 1990s were my heaviest period of using TV for film watching.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moviedrome Nothing Lasts Forever was the only showing on uk televison. still no dvd.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I watched too, and it had the very rarely seen 'prologue' showing Cleon assigning them tasks on the Boardwalk, before they go to catch the train. It's basically repeated in the train ride montage over the opening credits, so I can see why they dropped it, but it's not on either of my two DVD versions of the film.

It is, of course, now on youtube.
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the MovieDrome intro to The Warriors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_lMASwez0Y

Gulftastic wrote: »
    I watched too, and it had the very rarely seen 'prologue' showing Cleon assigning them tasks on the Boardwalk, before they go to catch the train. It's basically repeated in the train ride montage over the opening credits, so I can see why they dropped it, but it's not on either of my two DVD versions of the film.

It is, of course, now on youtube.

Thats right, I remember that.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing Warriors and La Haine on BBC 2 back when. Used to love Moviedrome. If you get a chance go to The Warriors official website and see what happened to them,. One of them became a New York cop!! Imagine him chasing you through Central Park!!!
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »

And now you can still pick up Terminator action figures in the bargain bin at your nearest Toys R Us store for the little kiddies.