Options

Iplayer not working on Ipad2

I have an iPad 2 and cannot get BBC iplayer to stream anything. I have the Application and have tried safari.

It just looks like it's loading and then times out on any program.

I've done the obvious things such as reinstalling the app, restarting the iPad and I even tried changing DNS providers as it was suggested that might work.

Looking at the now very closed iplayer forum, it seems this is a well known issue. This was back in May and we are well over a month later now.

I can use Channel 4 and the new ITV players fine.

Anyone else seeing this problem?:mad:

Comments

• Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tested it on mine and it's working perfectly so I don't think it's an iPad 2 or iPlayer application issue
  • Options
    bpreceybprecey Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Thats Interesting. I never thought to try this before. I tried to access the BBC Iplayer from 3G in the app but, of course, it refueses to do this so BBC dont upset mobile providers. I tried the website version on 3G and it works within seconds and works very well indeed!

This is more than slightly annoying as I am paying Virgin Media for their 50meg service which should not be restricting my net speed. I think I will check with them now as to the route of the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I am having the same problem and can't work out what's wrong with it. It all looks ok but just times out when trying to find a programme!
  • Options
    geebee.ukgeebee.uk Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    This seems to be quite a common problem. I have recently acquired an ipad2, I have BT infity and my wireless connection to my router regularly returns results of 20 Mb/sec or greater due to the 802.11n capabilities of the device (netgear not homehub). From a hardwired pc, speeds are reported as 37Mb or greater so I'm sure its not network related, at least within the LAN.

This seems so widespread it points to the iplayer app itself.
  • Options
    bpreceybprecey Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I need top slightly revise my intital complaint. Although completely unwatchable, I can get iplayer website to play for about 5 seconds, then buffer for 5 minutes for another 5 seconds of play.

I cant work out whether it is the app or Virgin or the Ipad.
    I am still suspecting Virgin as the app works at my sisters house (also virgin!!! just a few doors down) and she is on their lowest package 10meg. It works (website not app) on 3G.

very frustrating!!
  • Options
    rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem with my iPad 1
    Start to watch something then get constant buffering

I have no idea why but it seems to work better during the day at home using the wifi than at night in bed ???