New "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" trailer due online today

Comments

• f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it last night. It looks really good. I'm fairly new to Star Wars (only became a fan after playing Angry Birds Star Wars) so I haven't seen all the films yet, but I'm really looking forward to this one. What's with the decrepit mask of Darth Vader? Is he dead now or not in the movie any more?

Seriously dude - get them and watch them. Watch them in the order of 4, 5 6, then dissapoint yourself with 1, 2 3.

It'l all become clear!
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked the first trailer and can understand them playing safe, but the toxic level of nostalgia on show here was all a bit much. And as for that shot at end...pass the sick bucket.

Doubtless fans will throw enough of their money at it to vault it into the box-office heavens, but we'll have to wait and see if it really strikes a chord outside of the already converted.

I think it will provide everything required.

Introduce new characters that we'll gain a vested interest in, whilst with the security blanket of nostalgia and returning characters.

I highly susepct Episodes VIII and IX won't have the classic trio in it.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    Yuffie - yes, I think it'll be the biggest film of all time if it's any good, without doubt. Even if it's not, many many more will watch it anyway just to see the returning oldies, so it'll be up there in the top ten.

It won't beat The Avengers? Are you serious? It's just about the biggest franchise ever that I doubt anyone in a first world country hasn't heard of (current movie goers or not). The Avengers is very much new and of its time (as of now, maybe that will change in the future, but I very much doubt it will ever rival Star Wars in long-term or immediate cultural impact - nowhere close).

I am serious that it won't beat the Avengers. I agree that SW is probably the biggest franchise ever, but only because it's been around a lot longer than The Marvel Cinematic Universe. And Avengers may not rival Star Wars in the long term, but it's certainly the cool thing right now, and it's constantly gaining momentum at the box office. It is also the highest grossing franchise ever, beating Harry Potter and Bond and everything else. The first Avengers made 1.5 billion and I would the new one to do better.

Whereas Star Wars hasn't been around in a decade, and then, they didn't do a good job of it. I fully believe every Star Wars fan will come out in force to see the new film, but that won't be enough to topple the amount of people who come out two or three times a year to see superhero films. Especially when Age of Ultron is one of the flagship ones.

My two nieces and one nephew are totally obsessed with and immersed with the Star Wars universe at the ages of 4, 6 and 9 and they haven't even seen the originals (or even the prequels)!
    So how are they obsessed with the universe ? Do they watch the animated stuff or something ?
    Yes of course people are worried - but everything looks good so far, why shouldn't we positive at this stage? The main thing is that Lucas isn't involved anymore, and he wasn't mostly responsible for what's largely considered the best entry in the series (TESB) as well single-handedly creating its very, very worst moments.

It's not that I think fans shouldn't be positive, they should, I'm just surprised by it. Nobody is ever positive these days, especially on the Internet.

I hope I don't sound too negative about this. It is about no 5 on my to watch list of 2015 which isn't bad.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking good so far from the trailers...might even be worth my one trip to the cinema this year.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must have watched the trailer on Youtube at least a hundred times today i can't get enough of it :D
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I hope the Stormtroopers have learned how to shoot straight after all this time. >:(

I hope Chewbacca gets the medal he was so controversially denied in Star Wars.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I watched it last night. It looks really good. I'm fairly new to Star Wars (only became a fan after playing Angry Birds Star Wars) so I haven't seen all the films yet, but I'm really looking forward to this one. What's with the decrepit mask of Darth Vader? Is he dead now or not in the movie any more?

Make sure you watch the whole of the original trilogy asap, and preferably before you read any more spoilers about what happened in those parts!

Also check out (legally of course, you'll need to check on the detials to do so) Harmy's Despecialized versions (think he's finished the second one now) that restored the films as close as possible to the amazing original versions, and removed all Lucas's ridiculous added crap from him 'special editions' as well as restoring the original colour balance etc.

:)
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this is probably going to be controversial but is there anyone else apart from me who has no feelings on Stars Wars whatsoever and has no interest in these films? I haven't even seen the original trilogy. I like sci-fi but this just isn't my cup of tea.
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I hope Chewbacca gets the medal he was so controversially denied in Star Wars.

I reckon he was caught doping a la Ben Johnson. Han was Linford Christie...he just didn't get caught out until years later in an unrelated incident :D
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I am serious that it won't beat the Avengers.
    So how are they obsessed with the universe ? Do they watch the animated stuff or something ?
    It's not that I think fans shouldn't be positive, they should, I'm just surprised by it. Nobody is ever positive these days, especially on the Internet.

I hope I don't sound too negative about this. It is about no 5 on my to watch list of 2015 which isn't bad.

Soz for snipping your long post. I can't comment on The Avengers because I have no interest in it, am no longer a cinema goer like I used to be, and no-one I know ever mentions it. I'm really surprised to hear it's so big tbh, but I'm totally out of touch there.

Have you taken inflation into account with your grossing figures out of interest?

I guess you may not have grown up anytime before or during the 70s or 80s (?). If you had you will know that for almost anyone who was alive then it not only transformed cinema, it transformed popular culture, toys, merchandise - the lot. The prequels were poor and many gave up after the first or second, but this has enough promise (not least because Lucas is no longer involved) that whatever the reviews of the first I expect it to quite comfortably get into the top 3 grossing films ever. If it's good to great it'll knock Avengers out the park, I have no doubt whatsoever.

The youngsters are obsessed with the universe because of Angry Birds Star Wars, all the toys that still pack the shops (the lightsabres they have out now are awesome), the iconic characters (and archetypes) they represent, and because their parents and uncle's childhoods were themselves shaped by these films and they feel the Force lol (nothing to do with my giant plushie Yoda that has pride of place in my bedroom :blush:). They've no doubt seen some cartoons as well.

Bib - course they are!!!

Glad you're looking forward to the film too :)
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I know this is probably going to be controversial but is there anyone else apart from me who has no feelings on Stars Wars whatsoever and has no interest in these films? I haven't even seen the original trilogy. I like sci-fi but this just isn't my cup of tea.

:confused:
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member

i doubt you are alone, there are loads of people no interested in star wars, just like theres loads not interested in twilight or harry potter etc, i think where you are alone though, is coming into a thread discussing a franchise you dont like or have ever seen to tell everyone you arent interested in it.
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vote for on May 7th goes to Chewbakka :D hell make a much better prime minister than the present lot on offer ! vote for the Wookie party !!..may the force be with him ! :)
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member

If you're a sci if fan then you should give the original trilogy a whirl. Muster the strength somewhere to sit through them, you might just enjoy them.
    nattoyaki wrote: »

Soz for snipping your long post. I can't comment on The Avengers because I have no interest in it, am no longer a cinema goer like I used to be, and no-one I know ever mentions it. I'm really surprised to hear it's so big tbh, but I'm totally out of touch there.

Have you taken inflation into account with your grossing figures out of interest?

I guess you may not have grown up anytime before or during the 70s or 80s (?). If you had you will know that for almost anyone who was alive then it not only transformed cinema, it transformed popular culture, toys, merchandise - the lot. The prequels were poor and many gave up after the first or second, but this has enough promise (not least because Lucas is no longer involved) that whatever the reviews of the first I expect it to quite comfortably get into the top 3 grossing films ever. If it's good to great it'll knock Avengers out the park, I have no doubt whatsoever.

The youngsters are obsessed with the universe because of Angry Birds Star Wars, all the toys that still pack the shops (the lightsabres they have out now are awesome), the iconic characters (and archetypes) they represent, and because their parents and uncle's childhoods were themselves shaped by these films and they feel the Force lol (nothing to do with my giant plushie Yoda that has pride of place in my bedroom :blush:). They've no doubt seen some cartoons as well.

Bib - course they are!!!

Glad you're looking forward to the film too :)

I hadn't adjusted for inflation. If I did then the orinal trilogy sits at 2nd, 12th and 15th on the list, although I don't think that's worldwide figures, could be wrong tho. On the not adjusted list, Avatar is top with $2.7b, Titanic in second with $2.1b (both of these have been released twice), and Avengers in third with $1.5b. I just think it's so difficult to get that high, although rubbish like Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean seen to do easily. Only one Harry Potter has broke the billion dollar barrier, as has only one Lord of the Rings, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises just scraped over the line. And these have been massive films in the past few years. I think Star Wars as a brand is bigger than the lot, but I think it has to be a great Star Wars film to get over the billion dollar mark, and I just can't see it breaking the top three. Time will tell tho, time will tell. We'll know in about a month how Avengers: Age of Ultron does at the box office, but we've a bit longer to wait for this one.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a bit emotional watching that trailer and I didn't grow up with any of the Star Wars films :blush:
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

Plenty of people like you. They avoid message board Star Wars threads too. ;-)

In fairness to you Star Wars isn't really sci-if, it's more space fantasy opera. The tech, the lore and the concepts are too whimsical to be pure science fiction.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big rumour/leak of the twist of all twists is:
    Luke is going to turn to the darkside during the movie. can't wait what a twist !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Luke is going to turn to the darkside during the movie. can't wait what a twist !!

Not even the dark lord Palpatine/Sidious could get Luke to turn to the darkside!
  • MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    The reason why Star Wars is still so popular is that the original trilogy draws people like me in their 40s back to their childhood; the films, the toys, the stickers, the merchandising on sweets, cereal, drinks even back in the late 70s/80s.

It also gives us and our kids a shared interest; we both get the same level of excitement when watching the films, playing the video games and even unashamedly the chance to be a kid again and even pick up one if their Lego ships and make the noises like I did with my toys 35 years ago.

Some didn't get embroiled with the phenomenon - I'm guessing like loads last decade didn't get caught up in Harry Potter etc - so probably don't understand why one 90 second trailer causes goosebumps, a lump in the throat, a tear in the eye.

I admit I've watched that last trailer about 40 times and it still gets me - the John Williams score right from the start, the expanse of the planet Jaaku and then the crashed Star Destroyer in the background followed by so many reminders of the original trilogy. Cherry on top is Han & Chewie with those three words that I suspect millions now keep repeating throughout the world.... Chewie...we're home.

You can't hide the fact that Star Wars is more than just a film; all that nostalgia & a shared interest stretching across a number of generations... that will snowball over the months until December. The prequels tried but failed to replicate the original trilogy because their only link was the storyline because it was ruined by poor casting, the overdose of CGI and Lucas completely missing what the original trilogy meant. Abrams is a genuine fan hence why I'm confident he will be on the button for all the ingredients to make this a success.

I stand by my earlier statement this one film will become the most successful film ever. It will overshadow the original trilogy and the next two films in the trilogy to follow unless Disney manage to keep the momentum going
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll be seriously annoyed if this happens. The whole point of the original movies was that Luke was the hero who has overcame evil, unlike his father who joined it. Luke consistently rejected the dark side, and it was through his innate goodness that Vader saw the error of his ways and returned to the light. They can't throw all of that away for some cheap twist in the new movies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midsblue wrote: »
    The reason why Star Wars is still so popular is that the original trilogy draws people like me in their 40s back to their childhood; the films, the toys, the stickers, the merchandising on sweets, cereal, drinks even back in the late 70s/80s.

It also gives us and our kids a shared interest; we both get the same level of excitement when watching the films, playing the video games and even unashamedly the chance to be a kid again and even pick up one if their Lego ships and make the noises like I did with my toys 35 years ago.

Some didn't get embroiled with the phenomenon - I'm guessing like loads last decade didn't get caught up in Harry Potter etc - so probably don't understand why one 90 second trailer causes goosebumps, a lump in the throat, a tear in the eye.

I admit I've watched that last trailer about 40 times and it still gets me - the John Williams score right from the start, the expanse of the planet Jaaku and then the crashed Star Destroyer in the background followed by so many reminders of the original trilogy. Cherry on top is Han & Chewie with those three words that I suspect millions now keep repeating throughout the world.... Chewie...we're home.

You can't hide the fact that Star Wars is more than just a film; all that nostalgia & a shared interest stretching across a number of generations... that will snowball over the months until December. The prequels tried but failed to replicate the original trilogy because their only link was the storyline because it was ruined by poor casting, the overdose of CGI and Lucas completely missing what the original trilogy meant. Abrams is a genuine fan hence why I'm confident he will be on the button for all the ingredients to make this a success.

I stand by my earlier statement this one film will become the most successful film ever. It will overshadow the original trilogy and the next two films in the trilogy to follow unless Disney manage to keep the momentum going
    Well said, i agree with your every word! This film will be huge and the December Box Office is going to explode!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    Seriously dude - get them and watch them. Watch them in the order of 4, 5 6, then dissapoint yourself with 1, 2 3.

It'l all become clear!

I bought the first three and I've watched the original. I just need the time to watch them.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was included in the reported leaks that came out some months ago. It's hinted that
    After doing something amazing with the Force sometime after ROTJ, he realises the magnitude of his powers and struggles to cope knowing he has that much power. To protect the galaxy he retreats into self imposed exile. By the time of the movie he has been in exile for several years. He has apparently become a bit deranged in his seclusion, consumed by his fear that if he should return to society his power could be misused, he could be manipulated, and he may accidentally hurt the ones he loves. However, the villain and the new hero both draw him out and he’s forced to intervene in the galactic conflict. Despite his state of mind, by the last act of the film, it's clear where Luke falls on spectrum of good and evil.

Following on from that, (and these are just rumoured leaks so it may be all BS)
    Han and Leia's son becomes seduced by the dark side. Luke sets out to destroy him, but Han tries to protect his son. In doing so Han is killed, by Luke (not intentionally). The next movie would see Han & Leia's son fully embrace the dark side and seeking to take revenge on Luke for killing his father.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Must have watched the trailer on Youtube at least a hundred times today i can't get enough of it :D
    I'm like Matthew McConaughey, when he saw it.:D
    So you should like Star Wars....the original trilogy - I don't think I'd have any feelings for the new film, if I hadn't seen the others.

:cool:
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I love the fact that from everything we've seen that this actually looks like a Star Wars film as opposed to the awful prequel trilogy. I can't wait for this one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    I love the fact that from everything we've seen that this actually looks like a Star Wars film as opposed to the awful prequel trilogy. I can't wait for this one!

A very (very very very very) small part of me wants Jar Jar to pop up randomly at some point, just to witness the reaction in the cinema :p