The 'We think Love & Monsters is an underrated classic' club

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    TimCypher wrote: »
    The professional critics disagreed...
    Aah, but it did play to the stereotypes of sad geeky fans and guys in rubber monster suits they've been using to slag off the show for years.

Probably would've loved it, had it's tone and humour not been so inconsistent, but it's still not "Doctor Who"! ;)
  • kalon1701kalon1701 Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    abzorbalof was pants and the bit with the paving stone at the end was the final nail in the coffin of this episode for me, other than that it wasn't a bad effort for the first doc-lite story, blink was by far superior.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Thete wrote: »
    Jon Blum will (and does) make the same point I made, and the same point that The Slug has just explained in detail, that 77 is the average score for drama *because* drama scores highly. I won't add to The Slug's excellent post above.

Also - no-one on the Doctor Who forum has ever made the point that a score of 77 makes L&M one of the best stories. Frankly I've never seen anyone claim that an AI figure means a story is good or excellent. Plenty of people have *claimed* that others do that, but oddly no-one can ever point to an actual post where that has happened. Funny that.
    Try reading some of Rick Flair's posts on the subject then
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Up until L&M I was pleasantly surprised to find on visiting my 60+ dad (who had never really expressed an interest in sci-fi and who I can't remember watching the old series when I was a boy) to find that he had been watching Doctor Who and enjoying it.

But we parted company after Love and Monsters.

I thought it was excellent but my father expressed the opinion that it was crap.

I'll admit that I didn't like the look of the monster or Kay's delivery but I thought the concept and the script very amusing, witty and clever and I'd be happy to see it's like again.

I would liken it, in style, to the X-Files "The Post Modern Prometheus". A fun episode that plays with the format and isn't to be taken too seriously.
    Sorry but that's an insult to both of those excelnet X-Files stories
  • The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try reading some of Ric Flair's posts on the subject then

He said
    Ric Flair wrote:
    Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going. Wooooo!

Source: http://www.saidwhat.co.uk/quotes/favourite/ric_flair
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    Yoonix wrote: »
    "Post-Modern Prometheus" and "Jose Chung's" did it with oodles of style, intelligence and wit. "Love & Monsters" just isn't in the same league.

Any chance you can elaborate on your statement?

As a big fan of the Darin Morgan eps (in fact, he penned my fave X-Files ep in the form of 'Clyde Bruckmann's Final Repose'), I have to disagree.

Regards,

Cypher
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but that's an insult to both of those excelnet X-Files stories
    Whilst you are of course as much entitled to your opinion as I am, I feel I should point out that my post only likened it to one episode.

Someone else added the second.

:)
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Completely signed up. Although it obviously wasn't as good as the follow-up one-off, Blink, which may be the best Doctor Who since it returned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Completely signed up. Although it obviously wasn't as good as the follow-up one-off, Blink, which may be the best Doctor Who since it returned.

Blink or Parting of the Ways are currently my choices for best episode yet.