Options

The Doctor Who Movie: Who could play the Doctor and companion?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
Forum Member
Who do you think could play the Doctor and companion and who do you think is likely to be cast?

Comments

• Options
    hajuahajua Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I know this will make me really unpopular, but I think Rupert Grint should play the Doctor. Daniel is a great actor but I don't think he's as convincing with his "bow ties are cool" lines. Emma Watson would naturally be a great companion.
  • Options
    LordofGallifreyLordofGallifrey Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I've said it before in this forum, if a movie is to be made I think there is the perfect actor who has appeared in some of the biggest movies of all time.

Yes Warwick Davis, the man of the moment. :D:D:D
  • Options
    Lazlo WolfLazlo Wolf Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Well, to help look at it as a casting director, rather than a fan, I think a couple of useful conditions would be:
    1. Nobody just transplanted from another SciFi/fantasy franchise.
    2. Nobody with a sterotypically 'Doctor-ish' default persona.
    Hugh Laurie won a recent poll to play the Doctor in a film, and this may be the first time that the results of such a survey aren't rubbish.

He's a good actor, he's likeable, he's British but known to Americans and the newspapers can do lots of lazy "Dr House to Dr Who" headlines.

(No, Stephen Fry wouldn't be better, see 2 above. No, he can't be the companion.)

Companion-wise, probably a young American actress to help with audience identification.
  • Options
    TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that if there is a film, then I would like the Doctor and companion to be played by the present Doctor and companion.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like an Irish Doctor, Dylan Moran would be great and funny too. His companion could be Funky Pigeon.:D
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    I'd like an Irish Doctor, Dylan Moran would be great and funny too. His companion could be Funky Pigeon.:D

Now you have mentioned Dylan Moran, I want him as the 12th Doctor instead of Ben Miller (sorry, Ben :().

But I have no clue who Funky Pigeon is. :confused::D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about Simon McBurney aka Archdeacon Robert from Rev as The Doctor

Stana Katic (Castle) or Helene Joy (Murdoch Mysteries) as the companion
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Please anyone but Emma Watson. There are certain roles she's good for, but I seriously doubt that she'd fit into Doctor Who. She always seemed quite weak at the comedy side of Harry Potter.

I hadn't thought of Hugh Laurie, but that'd be pretty cool. Even as a fellow Brit, I find his accent super-cute. I think it'd be perfect for the Doctor.

TBH, I'm keeping an open mind, but I'm hoping they keep it quite British. Just seems right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Misha Collins as the Doctor! :p Nah I've got no clue.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Paul McGann?

He's proved in the audioplays he's a brilliant Doctor and deserves to be seen on screen in the role in more than just the 1996 TV Movie.

Also, with a canonical Doctor in the role, the film could much more easily be fitted into the main canonicity of the TV show.

And a companion? Sheridan Smith, who else?
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Smith.
    No-one else unless the official Twelfth Doctor is cast in time for the film.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Smith naturally however Damien Lewis would be cool, the first ginger Doctor. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Smith!

That is all.....i mean he has it in the bag! No one else can play the Doctor until the 12th regeneration in a few decades time!....a thank you :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Any suggestions on a young William Hartnell look-a-like travelling with Susan?

Moffat's gone out of his way to remind us about the first Doctor with the SJA badge, his library card and Idris telling us about how she stole him instead of him selling her - kind of looks to me like sewing the seeds for a film about how the Doctor came to leave Gallifrey
  • Options
    VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Freeman as the Doctor

Miranda Hart, Keira Knightley and Stephen Merchant as the companions.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have Christopher Eccleston back as The Doctor. Iwan Rheon would work as a companion, but there would need to be a girl too.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »
    Stephen Merchant as the companions.
    He is rather tall, is the tardis door big enough?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »
    Martin Freeman as the Doctor

Miranda Hart, Keira Knightley and Stephen Merchant as the companions.

I think he's more of a writer than an actor, but I do like the idea of Stephen Merchant as the Doctor - all gangly and Bristolian and weird. Maybe in a sketch some time.

Honestly though? I don't think it's a job for a well-established actor; the kind of actor you'd recognise by sight. David Tennant and Chris Eccleston were well known when they were case, but they weren't stars. Not like Hugh Laurie and Benedict Cumberbatch and Rupert Grint and, hell, David Tennant ca. 2011!

Simon McBurney's more along the right lines. It's a defining role, and from a silly, jingoistic POV, it feels like Doctor Who should leave its stamp on the actor as much as the actor leaves their stamp on Doctor Who.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Colin Firth as the Doctor with Paloma Faith as his companion.
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam Deacon- That would be hilarious.
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to have McGann back as per the suggestion upthread but sadly it won't happen: they'll worry he's tainted by the 1996 movie (which did well in the UK, but has gone down as more of a 'cult' thing rather than a big success).

I think it should be the current Doctor, to aid with continuity.

As for a companion - how about Carey Mulligan? :D probably wishful thinking but a very successful actress nowadays and might be tempted back if it's a big project.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul McGann and Sheridan Smit has Lucie Miller so we can have the Time War with Lucie standing by the 8th Doctor alongside other 8th Doctor Companions. Like previously mentioned McGann has proved himself immensely in the audio plays and IMO either deserves the film role or a special 8th doctor series for BBC 4!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    If it has to be done, then Benedict Cumberbatch as The Doctor and Miranda Hart as his companion.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Matt Smith.
    No-one else unless the official Twelfth Doctor is cast in time for the film.

If there's a DW movie showing while the TV series is
    still airing, then the current TV Doctor should also
    be in the film version.

Companion-wise...hmmm. Lizzy Caplan. Or
    Zooey Deschanel. Please don't cast some non-actress
    like Megan Fox or January Jones.
  • Options
    madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Current Doctor and companions for me please...:)