Options

whats involved in a sky fibre install ?

shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
Forum Member
✭✭✭
sorry to bother but wondering how they go about a sky fibre instal. are the fibre line and phone line separate as my master socket is in the hallway and i want the router in the lounge?

Comments

• Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any FTTC install uses your existing master socket and phoneline - it's not fibre to your house, only to the new cabinet in the street. A new faceplate will be fitted to this to enable connection of the Openreach modem which will in turn connect to your Sky router. A data extension kit can be provided so you can have the kit in a more preferable place if you desire.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was hopeing the master socket wouldnt be used the way virgin do it? and just run the coax into the lounge and into the hub. becuse the master socket is right in the middle of the hall way wall nothing infront of it to hide a modem behind. so a modem would sit on the florr right in the walkway garentee the mrs or the dog would destroy it
  • Options
    notachancenotachance Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    i was hopeing the master socket wouldnt be used the way virgin do it? and just run the coax into the lounge and into the hub. becuse the master socket is right in the middle of the hall way wall nothing infront of it to hide a modem behind. so a modem would sit on the florr right in the walkway garentee the mrs or the dog would destroy it

Yes, but as Eddy has advised, a data extension is available thus meaning a cable would be run from your master socket to wherever you'd like the modem / router. As a result, you don't need to have your router in the hall.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Any FTTC install uses your existing master socket and phoneline - it's not fibre to your house, only to the new cabinet in the street. A new faceplate will be fitted to this to enable connection of the Openreach modem which will in turn connect to your Sky router. A data extension kit can be provided so you can have the kit in a more preferable place if you desire.

An inappropriately placed master socket (mine is by the front door and miles from any power supply for example) can often be "blanked off" and one of the existing extensions redesignated to be the replacement master socket!
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    An inappropriately placed master socket (mine is by the front door and miles from any power supply for example) can often be "blanked off" and one of the existing extensions redesignated to be the replacement master socket!

That's what Openreach done with me. The master socket was on one side of my living room with the extension round the other side beside everything that I wanted connected to it. The engineer shut down the main socket & somehow turned my extension into the main one. It actually made my connection better!
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what I had done with my install. I've since read it's not the 'proper way' it should be done - the data extension kit should be used, so I didn't mention it. However, it's far neater using existing wiring that's tucked away rather than have a new cable trailing along the skirting board!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's what I had done with my install. I've since read it's not the 'proper way' it should be done - the data extension kit should be used, so I didn't mention it. However, it's far neater using existing wiring that's tucked away rather than have a new cable trailing along the skirting board!
    The "data extension kit" would not work for me for two reasons. Firstly there is no mains power anywhere near the master socket. Secondly the data cable would have to cross the hall somehow.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "data extension kit" would not work for me for two reasons. Firstly there is no mains power anywhere near the master socket. Secondly the data cable would have to cross the hall somehow.

That is the point of the kit though, to extend where you put your modem, so it doesn't have to sit by the maste socket, so you wouldn't need mains there.

Also, i presume your extension socket crosses the hall somehow (where you have your modem currently), so it can follow the same route surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is the point of the kit though, to extend where you put your modem, so it doesn't have to sit by the maste socket, so you wouldn't need mains there.
    I understood that the mains-powered BT VSDL modem always went by the master socket and that the data extension cable was simply an RJ45 to the users router?????? Am I wrong on this? If not there is no mains power within range!
    Also, i presume your extension socket crosses the hall somehow (where you have your modem currently), so it can follow the same route surely.
    Not so! All the ADSL kit is off an extension currently - "ring" wire removal and other tuning has ensured that the extension speed is very close to the maximum possible. As I said for several reasons installing Fibre kit on my existing master-socket is pretty much impossible. Blanking off the existing master and redesignating the first extension would be FAR more practical! Many people seem to have taken this option - some Openreach staff (mostly contractors it seems!!) may moan but have to go along with it!
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understood that the mains-powered BT VSDL modem always went by the master socket and that the data extension cable was simply an RJ45 to the users router?????? Am I wrong on this? If not there is no mains power within range!

Not so! All the ADSL kit is off an extension currently - "ring" wire removal and other tuning has ensured that the extension speed is very close to the maximum possible. As I said for several reasons installing Fibre kit on my existing master-socket is pretty much impossible. Blanking off the existing master and redesignating the first extension would be FAR more practical! Many people seem to have taken this option - some Openreach staff (mostly contractors it seems!!) may moan but have to go along with it!

No, the extension kit is so your can place your modem somewhere more convenient, if it was just an RJ45 lead, people would go and buy their own surely.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37163/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzY2MjgyMzM0L3NpZC9QMURvaCpubA%3D%3D

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1722000
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Misread this one - the current BT-installed extension cable goes from the master-socket back OUTSIDE of the house , up and around the outside and then through the wall again into a bedroom. So no - it does not cross the hall.
    No, the extension kit is so your can place your modem somewhere more convenient, if it was just an RJ45 lead, people would go and buy their own surely.
    Thanks!
    Post #11 in this thread mentions moving the master socket.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    Misread this one - the current BT-installed extension cable goes from the master-socket back OUTSIDE of the house , up and around the outside and then through the wall again into a bedroom. So no - it does not cross the hall.

Thanks!

Post #11 in this thread mentions moving the master socket.

There is external data extension wiring also. So the engineer can take the same route outside and in again.