Normal feed for 3month old baby

mattitudeukmattitudeuk Posts: 176
Forum Member
To solve an argument within the family, how much should a 3 month old baby be given formula milk wise?

Should it be a structured times throughout the day, with a set amount, even though the baby is crying before feeds, or is it whenever the baby is hungry and crying for milk and showing the signs of hunger (moving head, motioning of tongue etc).

Any links to evidence woudl be helpful, or examples of what you have done for your children that worked successfully would also be helpful.

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To solve an argument within the family, how much should a 3 month old baby be given formula milk wise?

Should it be a structured times throughout the day, with a set amount, even though the baby is crying before feeds, or is it whenever the baby is hungry and crying for milk and showing the signs of hunger (moving head, motioning of tongue etc).

Any links to evidence woudl be helpful, or examples of what you have done for your children that worked successfully would also be helpful.

Nobody's business but the parents. Babies aren't machines. They are hungrier some days than others and go through growth spurts. Be flexible and offer a feed if the baby seems hungry.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the answer is different for every child and every parent. Some people feed on demand and others give feeds at set times often to try and get long sleeps at night. Is it your child op?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speak to your health clinic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a ridiculous and pointless argument to have because every child is different and therefore their needs will be too.
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the baby is hungry, why wouldn't you feed it?
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    If the baby is hungry, why wouldn't you feed it?

Of course you would. especially at three months old. I always used to make up an extra ounce in every bottle, just in case .
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's such an outdated idea to make a baby wait between set times for feeds. Demand feeding has been the norm for years now. Take no notice of all those baby experts that come out of the wood work with their expertise. You don't need evidence to convince anyone, just tell them politely that it's none of their damn business.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a lady with twins who refused to feed them except at their scheduled feeding times ;- result, hysterically screaming babies. I've been there when she's been comforting them whilst looking at her watch saying "sorry darlings, another 20 minutes to go".

Bizarre!
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much they should be given depends on how much the baby weighs for example.

Different babies want feeding at different intervals, some may want a feed every 3 hours, some every 4.

Babies will often cry because they are hungry, but they cry for a number of other reasons, which may not necessarily need food to sort out.

It's not an argument you can have because every baby is different.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attempting to settle an argument among the family about a baby by consulting the a message board is dooooooooooooooooomed to failure.

Whoever disagrees with you - whatever opinion you have - is likely to be highly, highly indignant that you did it. New babies bring out strong emotions in everyone who has got anything to do with them.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    The feeding intervals are solely the business of the parents and everyone else within the family who has anything to do with looking after the baby should abide by it.
    Personally I think if baby is hungry then baby should eat.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best advice you can take from here is to tell everyone else to mind their own business.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The feeding intervals are solely the business of the parents and everyone else within the family who has anything to do with looking after the baby should abide by it.
    Personally I think if baby is hungry then baby should eat.

Exactly, as I said earlier at three months they know if they are hungry.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    lozenger wrote: »
    I know a lady with twins who refused to feed them except at their scheduled feeding times ;- result, hysterically screaming babies. I've been there when she's been comforting them whilst looking at her watch saying "sorry darlings, another 20 minutes to go".

Bizarre!

Oh thats awful. As if they understand the concept of time!
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thats awful. As if they understand the concept of time!

I know - it was painful to watch! I think she eventually gave in and tore up the rule book, they are now robust & energetic 3 yr olds running rings round their parents :D
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are articles on the internet that support demand feeding, whether it's breastfeeding or bottle feeding, or you could of course ask your health visitor for support.

As a granny I can confirm for you that feeding a baby when it's hungry is the right way to go. Not only is it common sense, but it's been the advice for years.

Tell your well meaning advisors to bog off, or nod and smile and then do what you know is best for your baby.
  • PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I couldn't bear to make a baby wait for food for any reason. I would feed the baby whenever it was hungry. I certainly would feed myself if I was hungry.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just give them a feed when they are hungry!

They normally settle into their own feeding patterns anyway. At some feeds they may be or hungry than others and sometimes they sleep through and miss a time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feed when hungry.
    Consider it from an adult point of view, if you as an adult are hungry you go and get something to eat. How would you feel if you were hungry and were denied food and told to wait until the food giver deemed it the right time for you to eat- you'd not like it.
    Also remember that the baby may be thirsty as well as hungry.

I personally find it cruel to do anything other than feed a baby on demand.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Just give them a feed when they are hungry!

They normally settle into their own feeding patterns anyway. At some feeds they may be or hungry than others and sometimes they sleep through and miss a time.

This .Let the baby guide you , he will know when his is hungry .But you must get to know the message he is sending .Not all crying is hunger .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »

Bizarre!

Probably a gina ford muppet. That women shouldn't be allowed anywhere near children.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consider it from an adult point of view, if you as an adult are hungry you go and get something to eat.

Eh, not the best example. As an adult, I often wait till meal times, don't snack when hungry, and eat the amount I think I should eat rather than want to eat. But I don't think that should apply to babies. You shouldn't try to put your baby on a rigid diet, unless maybe your doctor says to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    If it's your first, it's hard to know what to do. I was totally ignorant about what to do and I was told by my midwife to feed every 4 hours, no matter what. I tried to stick to this and as a result was dealing with a crying baby at times and sometimes even waking him up to feed. I lasted about a month before I let him decide when he was hungry. Result was happy baby, happy mum. With my second I just smiled and nodded at any advice I was given, ignored it, and did it my way :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's your first, it's hard to know what to do. I was totally ignorant about what to do and I was told by my midwife to feed every 4 hours, no matter what. I tried to stick to this and as a result was dealing with a crying baby at times and sometimes even waking him up to feed. I lasted about a month before I let him decide when he was hungry. Result was happy baby, happy mum. With my second I just smiled and nodded at any advice I was given, ignored it, and did it my way :)

I don't have children, but my mother and grandmother have always said 'never wake a sleeping baby' & 'a sleep is as good as a feed'. Both bits of advice I would follow if I had children.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 2 month old furiously sucks her hand when hungry - I can't imagine making her wait xx minutes to tie in with her 'scheduled feed time,'

Get as much down their neck in the evening/late feed (no matter how long it takes) and you might get 6 hours peace at night as we've been getting for the last few weeks.

Last night - 6oz at 10pm, Asleep till 5.15am - 2oz. Asleep till 7.45 - 2oz. Still asleep (8.40am)