Options

Car Tax Renewal

lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why does Car Tax always go up but never down? I'm seriously considering doing the 6 month renewal for the cheaper initial outlay even though I know in the long term it'll cost me more! Does anyone else do this if they think the annual price is too high?

I'm also confused as to why it says the car needs an appropriate MOT. I can't even present it until Monday and expiry is 13th August. Car Tax expiry is 31st July!

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The MOT the car presumably has now will suffice if it is still current at the end of the month..
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    You just need an MOT in place for the day the TAX is to start. Earlier this year my tax was due 1st Feb I was on line trying to get it done and kept being refused and told to phone VOSA. The nice man at VOSA pointed out my MOT was out on Jan 31st, that's why I couldn't get my tax..duh!!
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tax it online with your reference number, everything is checked online
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Vehicle road fund licence is very reasonable, I just taxed my car which is a 2.0 VW Passat TDI Bluemotion. It cost me £30 for 12 months. That is perfectly acceptable to me, of course if you choose to drive a more polluting type of vehicle then you will quite rightly pay a higher yearly road fund licence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vehicle road fund licence is very reasonable, I just taxed my car which is a 2.0 VW Passat TDI Bluemotion. It cost me £30 for 12 months. That is perfectly acceptable to me, of course if you choose to drive a more polluting type of vehicle then you will quite rightly pay a higher yearly road fund licence.

Crikey! I suppose that is the price you pay for a 96 reg VW Polo. It's a 1589cc Vehicle.

The Annual price this year is £230. It goes up a £5 every year or 2. I think last year the price froze. I really don't think I can afford that so 126.50 for 6 months, I'm sorely tempted to go for that!

Thanks everyone else for their responses. :)
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Crikey! I suppose that is the price you pay for a 96 reg VW Polo. It's a 1589cc Vehicle.

The Annual price this year is £230. It goes up a £5 every year or 2. I think last year the price froze. I really don't think I can afford that so 126.50 for 6 months, I'm sorely tempted to go for that!

Thanks everyone else for their responses. :)

£230!!!!!! Surely the car is hardly worth that?
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My road tax is £280 I think for the year. I drive a KIA Sportage. It really is a lot of money and I save up for a few months beforehand to be able to pay that much out in one hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £230!!!!!! Surely the car is hardly worth that?

The thought keeps going through my mind, are the DVLA actually ripping me off. Or is the car actually worth running?

I know cars are expensive! It first came on the market in 1996. It's Petrol, 1.6GL VW Polo. N Reg.

I bought it for £800 back in 2010 and it's been expensive to run ever since although my insurance premium does keep going down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    My road tax is £280 I think for the year. I drive a KIA Sportage. It really is a lot of money and I save up for a few months beforehand to be able to pay that much out in one hit.

I save up all the money I can get, just to comfortably afford the insurance. :blush:
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had an Astra which cost £465 for a years road tax :o

Granted it had the 2.0 turbo VXR engine in it but it still seemed a lot!

We soon got bored of paying that and now a have a Skoda Fabia Greenline I which costs £20 per year to tax. You can't even buy six months for it, only a year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had an Astra which cost £465 for a years road tax :o

Granted it had the 2.0 turbo VXR engine in it but it still seemed a lot!

We soon got bored of paying that and now a have a Skoda Fabia Greenline I which costs £20 per year to tax. You can't even buy six months for it, only a year.

Not really your typical Astra then..???

You had an Astra VXR..
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really your typical Astra then..???

You had an Astra VXR..

Not exactly, it was a twin top with the same 2.0 turbo engine as the VXR but it wasn't badged as a VXR. I didn't realise it had the VXR engine until after we'd bought it.

That car was good fun :cry:
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    The thought keeps going through my mind, are the DVLA actually ripping me off. Or is the car actually worth running?

I know cars are expensive! It first came on the market in 1996. It's Petrol, 1.6GL VW Polo. N Reg.

I bought it for £800 back in 2010 and it's been expensive to run ever since although my insurance premium does keep going down.

Add up all the train fares and bus fares you would pay in a year and see if it's expensive! Its cheaper for me by far too drive a car, for thst alone quite apart from the convienience, comfort, quickness amd carrying capability factored in
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only bought a six month tax disc this time, as it dies out in November and we then can pay monthly. That will help me greatly.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine has not increased for over 4 years now. It's stayed at £20 per year.

I didn't realise the higher tariffs were increasing yearly OP!
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only bought a six month tax disc this time, as it dies out in November and we then can pay monthly. That will help me greatly.

I think there will be a 10 percent surcharge for a monthly do. Thing is I'm guessing the people who will pay by direct debit will be those who can least afford the extra. I'd like to buy a car that is low tax but I can't afford to, so I stick to running my old banger.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My car tax went down, from £500 to zero for year one, then £110 when I swapped to a lower co2 vehicle. The insurance fell by £150 too, even tho it's a higher value vehicle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    I think there will be a 10 percent surcharge for a monthly do. Thing is I'm guessing the people who will pay by direct debit will be those who can least afford the extra. I'd like to buy a car that is low tax but I can't afford to, so I stick to running my old banger.

The charge will be smaller than it is now for spreading the cost. So its still better for me than trying to find it yearly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly, it was a twin top with the same 2.0 turbo engine as the VXR but it wasn't badged as a VXR. I didn't realise it had the VXR engine until after we'd bought it.

That car was good fun :cry:

I was going to go for the Vectra VXR last time, apart fr the tax. It was a bit obscene and somebody would probably try to nick it...

I went for a newer plate exclusiv model instead...

Fast Vauxhalls are fun
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    road tax just keeps going up. My Astra (2002) with a 1.8i petrol engine was £215 a year when I got rid of it some years ago. My diesel polo is £95 a year, which is much less, but still edging up slowly.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now they are doing away with the paper tax disc they might as well go the whole hog and scrap VED and add the cost to fuel, then the polluter really does pay.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prob with adding it to fuel, our already sky high fuel costs would be even higher. And, only the cars economy would determine how much tax you pay, whereas at the moment cars with cleaner engines are subject to less tax than those which pollute more - it's not just about how economical the car is.

I keep reading they are going to do away with the paper disc and only put it online, but nobody has wrote to me yet from the dvla indicating such a change so I will only worry about it when it happens. Tbh, I don't see why they need to change the system...I mean big IT systems take continuous maintenance and ongoing costs after installation. I know plenty of people who drive and even rely on their car but have no idea how to use a computer.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    I keep reading they are going to do away with the paper disc and only put it online, but nobody has wrote to me yet from the dvla indicating such a change so I will only worry about it when it happens. Tbh, I don't see why they need to change the system...I mean big IT systems take continuous maintenance and ongoing costs after installation. I know plenty of people who drive and even rely on their car but have no idea how to use a computer.

They are changing the system to make it faster and cheaper - almost no drivers are convicted these days by people actually looking at the tax disc, it's mostly done by ENPR, which thus avoids the need to display the disc.

Presumably you will be able to still pay at the Post Office?, if you can't use a computer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Prob with adding it to fuel, our already sky high fuel costs would be even higher. And, only the cars economy would determine how much tax you pay, whereas at the moment cars with cleaner engines are subject to less tax than those which pollute more - it's not just about how economical the car is.

It changes on the 1st of Oct. I only got a 6mth one so that will last till Christmas then I can pay a monthly DD for my tax.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/direct-debit-and-abolition-of-the-tax-disc
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    They are changing the system to make it faster and cheaper - almost no drivers are convicted these days by people actually looking at the tax disc, it's mostly done by ENPR, which thus avoids the need to display the disc.

Presumably you will be able to still pay at the Post Office?, if you can't use a computer.

Displaying the tax disc itself is just a ‘legacy’ regulation that’s become less relevant in recent years. As you say all checks are computerized now.

No need for a paper tax disc; we don’t have Insurance discs or MOT discs; those 3 legal requirements can be checked instantly by the rozzers if need be.

After 1st October paper discs will no longer be issued and there will no longer be a requirement to display them ; even existing discs can be discarded.

There will be another major change on Oct 1st.

The car tax will no longer ‘stay’ with the vehicle if the vehicle is sold. The new owner must tax the car as soon as they take ownership. The DVLA will automatically reimburse the previous owner for the unused ‘months’.