Georgie Thompson - Sky Sports News

Comments

• dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :shakes head in utter disbelief:

Georgie Thompson, read from an auto-cue on Sport for a few years and this is worthy of a knighthood? Behave!
    Not to mention she is a CONVICTED drink driver (over twice the legal limit)
    My Friends Daughter was run over and maimed by a drink driver so i have nothing but contempt and hatred for anyone who gets behind the wheel after drinking.

The crazy Man in our City who is mentally ill and goes around collecting empty bottles and aluminum cans is more worthy of a knighthood than Georgie!

True, but she's fit, especially when she smiles. :)
  • smurfs5smurfs5 Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    essexsteve wrote: »
    Common sense on digital spy at last.

She has no real sporting knowledge her only reason to be seen on sky sports news is as a c-ck teaser.

Looking through this thread nobody seems to comment on her grounding in sports journalism.:rolleyes:

Common sense? You just went and contradicted yourself. It's a broadcasting forum and you are trying to avoid the obvious which is that Georgie's sporting knowledge prowess is to be admired. No real sporting knowledge? She has a Broadcast Journalism degree and has worked on a sports news channel for 10 YEARS!! Of course she has fantastic sporting knowledge. If you've ever watched A League Of Their Own, her knowledge is evident in the final round. She is an amazing talent and a fantastic sports presenter (one of the best IMO). Georgie shouldn't be stereotyped as the majority of female SSN presenters. She has been picked to co-host the F1 magazine show because of her ability, not just her looks. End of an era today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smurfs5 wrote: »
    Common sense? You just went and contradicted yourself. It's a broadcasting forum and you are trying to avoid the obvious which is that Georgie's sporting knowledge prowess is to be admired. No real sporting knowledge? She has a Broadcast Journalism degree and has worked on a sports news channel for 10 YEARS!! Of course she has fantastic sporting knowledge. If you've ever watched A League Of Their Own, her knowledge is evident in the final round. She is an amazing talent and a fantastic sports presenter (one of the best IMO). Georgie shouldn't be stereotyped as the majority of female SSN presenters. She has been picked to co-host the F1 magazine show because of her ability, not just her looks. End of an era today.

I agree, yes she is very attractive but she is also a very qualified sports presenter who is very good at her job.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I don't think many of the Sky Sports News presenters - male or female - really have an innate knowledge of sport, barring the odd exception. Their knowledge comes from swatting up on what they need to know to present, but they're primarily hired for their looks/presentational skills.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smurfs5 wrote: »

To be abosolutely honest i have never seen her do much apart from read an autocue on sky sports news,just because you work on a sports news channel does not mean you have great sports knowledge,and with respect a broadcasting journalism degree is not sporting knowledge, there are some BBC news presenters i believe who are not trained jounalists but can read an autocue.

I do not watch a league of their own as i cannot stand panel shows but i bow to you knowledge of her on that.

I may have unfairly judged her but even you have to admit looking back over this thread not many are talking about her broadcasting journalism degree or knowledge just fawning over her.LOL:D

I do watch formula 1 so if i have been unfair to her i am only too delighted to have been corrected on that.:)
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think many of the Sky Sports News presenters - male or female - really have an innate knowledge of sport, barring the odd exception. Their knowledge comes from swatting up on what they need to know to present, but they're primarily hired for their looks/presentational skills.

Yes that sort of mirrors my views,looking back over the posts many are infatuated by her looks more then anything else.

Now Jeff Stelling really does know his football on his show on sky sports news sat afternoon with no autocue needed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry peeps got my days wrong!! obviously. will miss georgie. very nice to work with, and one of the few females at ssn who actually knows about sport and can adlib!!
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry peeps got my days wrong!! obviously. will miss georgie. very nice to work with, and one of the few females at ssn who actually knows about sport and can adlib!!

Its good to hear she knows her stuff you sound as though you have or do work with her,and she does know about sport and is not just a pretty autocutie,seems like she has some substance should be good for the f1 show i look forward to it.:)
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Their knowledge comes from swatting up on what they need to know to present, but they're primarily hired for their looks/presentational skills.

Georgie admitted herself, in her final shift with Simon Thomas (http://youtu.be/Ap-o0OpwhWE), that she's going to be spending the next couple of months (between Sky Sports News and Sky Sports F1 presenting duties) swatting up on F1. How much she meant that and how much she was just joking, I'm not sure, as Simon rather put her on the spot with just seconds left in the show, but it does show she probably doesn't know enough about F1 at the moment.
    there are some BBC news presenters i believe who are not trained jounalists but can read an autocue.

I thought BBC News meant a point of "weeding out" all the non-journalist newsreaders some years ago now, hence all the controversy over Moira Stuart having to leave.
    Now Jeff Stelling really does know his football on his show on sky sports news sat afternoon with no autocue needed.

The knowledge he presents may not be in front of him on an autocue, but I'm pretty sure it may be on a screen on his desk somewhere. True - he does know his stuff, but I think he is assisted behind the scenes as well. Maybe he was being modest, but I think he's admitted as much too.
  • The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    Gordie10 wrote: »

The knowledge he presents may not be in front of him on an autocue, but I'm pretty sure it may be on a screen on his desk somewhere. True - he does know his stuff, but I think he is assisted behind the scenes as well. Maybe he was being modest, but I think he's admitted as much too.

I believe he gets stuff fed through his earpiece. To be fair, no-one can can recall that much information straight off the top of their head!

Don't blame Georgie for swotting up on F1. No matter how much you know about something, you can always learn more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be abosolutely honest i have never seen her do much apart from read an autocue on sky sports news,just because you work on a sports news channel does not mean you have great sports knowledge,and with respect a broadcasting journalism degree is not sporting knowledge, there are some BBC news presenters i believe who are not trained jounalists but can read an autocue.

I do not watch a league of their own as i cannot stand panel shows but i bow to you knowledge of her on that.

I may have unfairly judged her but even you have to admit looking back over this thread not many are talking about her broadcasting journalism degree or knowledge just fawning over her.LOL:D

I do watch formula 1 so if i have been unfair to her i am only too delighted to have been corrected on that.:)

It is a shame that someone of her talent and intelligence is being thrown into the same pot as the likes of Charlie Webster, Sean Fletcher etc. From the last few years, I don't seem to remember her stumbling over words or sportspeople's names. Everyone seems to love her presenting style. I know people just watch her for her looks but she wouldn't be so popular if it wasn't for her presentation skills to match. It's great to see the love for her on Twitter. She will be sorely missed, SSN won't be the same without the banter-filled, smiley Georgie from 3-7 every weekday afternoon. Can't wait to see her final send-off before 7pm!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This now is her last hour. She has the tissues out ready.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the link between Georgie and Dave Clark at Ally Pally just now. There hasn't been as much banter between Jules and Georgie as I would have hoped but Clarky, GT's first on-screen husband, made up for it!!

I wish they got David Jones or Ed Chamberlin to co-present with Georgie for her last show. Ah well, it will still be a great send-off just before 7. I really am going to miss her so so much!!:cry:
    I think they are showing a video montage of her best bits in about 20 mins.:) That should be TV gold!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georgie interviewing Harry Rednapp now in a surprise interview.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final 10 minutes now for GT before she hops down three on the EPG. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww The End of an Era! I cant say i was her biggest fan but all the best to her!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A really nice end to GT's stint. I loved Jim White entering with the flowers though Juilan Warren was a bit of a spare part, I was expecting David Jones to make an appearence but overall a nice tribute. You will be missed GT, SSN wont be the same without that lovely smile, dirty laugh and cheeky sense of humour.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Jim and Georgie had quite a few shifts (I said shifts) :p together. How long he been doing it now?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    That vid of her dancing in the black dress really showed off her hips and ass
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great send-off for Georgie. Really enjoyed her best bits and there was some real LOL moments at the Cheeky Girls video and the vuvuzela prank on David Jones(my favourite GT moment). Really lovely bit at the end with Jim White giving her the bouquet of flowers which was fantastic and a fitting send-off. I was surprised Jim didn't co-host with Georgie from 3-7 but I suppose Jules did a good job. SSN won't be the same without Georgie, I'm so so sad she's gone.:cry:
  • Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Georgie interviewing Harry Rednapp now in a surprise interview.

It's never a surprise when Harry Redknapp gets interviewed on Sky Sports News.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who missed her lovely, emotional farewell can see the final couple of minutes of her last SSN shift at:

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,12606_7401004,00.html
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A decade is a good "shift" on a sports news channel. Decent time for her to move on now.

As always in these situations, I find myself wishing I'd watched more of Georgie on Sky Sports News when I had the chance, but as I'm fortunately an F1 fan, at least I'll see her there.

Lovely send-off for her ... and she didn't cry! :eek:
  • KempoKempo Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her. Throughly good broadcaster on SSN.

Shame about all the sad men on here who can only make all the usual sexist comments.
  • AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was rubbish. Give me Natalie or Hayley anytime ;)